Windows 7

Guest posiedon

I would not purchase the 32 bit version as it won't run more than 3.5Gb of RAM. Have had no problems with any drivers for windows 7 64 although my PC is fairly new and was built with the 64 bit operating system in mind.

the 64 bit is made for overclockers, gaming enthusiasts, system builders and the like not your day to day average public figure

My laptop came with the 64 bit installed and after 10 months of nothing but problems. It’s coming of when the 32 bit arrives.

the 64 bit is made for overclockers, gaming enthusiasts, system builders and the like not your day to day average public figure

Thanks for that zebbidy. But I just want something that works for everyday things. My entertainment system for Music , DVD Playing, Internet ect. I don’t play games or see the point of overclocking. But it would be nice to have the hardware in the laptop plus the express slot to do as advertised.

As I pointed out driver problems.

And 3.5Gb of RAM is plenty for me to OwertheOrd I don’t edit videos or photos..

I have the 64 bit version nothing but driver problems! And it is a right pain in the proverbials the 32 bit is much better

Slight generalisation...? 64bit is the way of the future, simple as. It will kill off 32bit when Windows 8 rolls around in a couple of years. You may as well use 64bit now then have to format when W8 comes around.

Not only that, but 64bit drivers are far more prevalent than they've ever been. And to be honest, being limited to 3.5GB of RAM is pretty annoying. From what I understand this is entire system RAM, so that'll include your graphics memory too.

Which is "best" depends entirely on whether you want to use older software or hardware. The 32bit Edition has great legacy support right out of the box.

The 64Bit edition is the way forward, at last, with minimal legacy support but much more streamlined (for windows) and designed for modern hardware and software.

Windows 8 is looking very very Windows Phone 7/Zune like from the leaked milestone builds (note, this isn't even beta yet, so take this all as a pinch of salt!)

As someone who loves the Metro UI design MS has been putting together over the last few years, I can't wait to see what happens here.

Example:

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Windows-8-New-Metro-UI-Settings-Menu-15.png

• 2 weeks later...

***explodes***

Ok, seriously, deadly seriously, I have tried them. I have tried to see the point and fascination in them, but its totally lost on me.

They do compare, poorly, with the tablets of 2001-2002, but with less power and a woeful OS.

I do, however, hope they are opening more people up to the tablet format. Eventually an iPad user will get their hands on a Windows7 Tablet it will be like going from a toy pedal car to a Lexus...

Windows 7 is the future and it looks much brighter than Vista but XP works, and if your priority is getting something done other than upgrading to the next OS stick with XP (for now).

Sticking with XP is a terrible, terrible idea. It's almost 10 years old, in terms of computer years that's basically ancient. XP required an Intel Pentium running at 233mhz with 64MB of RAM to run. That is how old XP is. Although anyone trying to run XP on those specs must have been insane! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

New PC arrived Friday and has Windows 7 64. Oh what, joy, despite being a HP PC, Win 7 doesn't like the HP Laserjet 1010. So I follow the messages and chose the driver it told me to and it still didn't work. Ahem, let us choose the driver it doesn't recommend and do the super duper run in older program wotsits thingy. Great Scott, it worked!

What doesn't work - blooming transcription software foot pedal by Olympus! No fix on their website either. Oh well, back to hot keys on keyboard for that then until I have telephoned them on Monday morning. :cry:

What else doesn't work? Bespoke program for another client but they are looking into that. Mmm, so do I use old PC and LAN it or have dual boot on this PC?

I must adjust my display though - half my web pages come up so tiny I can't read them! :o