Olympic torch to come to Shetland?

gafynandrew

Not me, that's for sure; unless, of course, I could wear a T shirt saying "NO TO VIKING ENERGY".

Honestly, I said to hubby that I deffo had to get out of London prior to the games in 2012. They reckon that by bringing the torch to Scotland that everyone in Scotland will "Get behind the games". Oh yeah? Many of the jobs, despite being promised to locals, have gone elsewhere. However, my old Mayor of Newham reckoned everyone in Newham was backing the games being held in the Borough (Despite the fact we were never asked).

So we're all totally backing the games, are we? Personally, at tickets to events being on average way beyond my means (And many others, I suspect) plus the fare to get there, plus buying a few cans/bottles for the ex-neighbour's sofa I'd be kipping on, I can't afford it. Watch it on telly - no thanks, would rather watch paint dry.

I think it's great that the Olympic torch is coming to Shetland.

Okay, it'll look pretty paltry compared to the heavier, brighter torches carried en-mass by our athletic local stalwarts during the Up Helly Aa procession, but we mustn't judge our less ambitious foreign cousins... ;-)

Just told OH who wondered whether it might get blown out? They need one of those candles you get that can't be blown out on birthday cakes!

It may be pissing down with rain or god forbid snowing.

Dinna worry Para Handy or Fanny, I think we can probably forget aboot the Official Olympic Torch blaain oot.

Wi an audience approaching 2 Billion Worldwide, the answer surely has to be....

The Red T..... (T for torch, get it)? Oh well. :D

Just saw it now on the BBC news.

Who's going to carry it?

Will the torch be travelling through the independant state of Forvik as well?

I don't think Forvik actually exists any more.......Something to do with the deeds to the island or maybe it got blown away lol

Royal Weddings....Olympics....whatever..... I really don't see the point, or relevance. If anybody can find any "meaning" in getting excited over either, fill yer boots by all means, but complete disinterest here.

P.S. In this day and age, shouldn't the Olympic torch be a low energy bulb powered by a solar panel and a peerie windmill. :wink:

^^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

they could put the wind turbine on his/her cap!

or it could be an led wind-up one.

have to admit im like you and not impressed with all the pomp and ceremony, tho if others enjoy it fine but i for one wont be jumping up and down with joy.