Scalloway Pharmacy

scorie

Vexing to hear on Radio Shetland that the Doctors in Scalloway have had their application to run a pharmacy service quashed, especially when the village has just lost it's JHSchool......... what is wrong with the local 'powers that be'?

Fingers crossed NorsePharm will not find local premises to rent

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are going to build a new building in Scalloway, so i dont think they need to rent.

I dont understand why the Scalloway folk dont want a new shop in the village? its a shame that your Dr's didnt get the contract but then that lets them provide a better Dr's, no? More shops meens more choice?

If the new ones needs temp. premises they could always give the council a shout as they could hire part of the school, now they have plenty room in there! :)

I think they are going to build a new building in Scalloway, so i dont think they need to rent.

I dont understand why the Scalloway folk dont want a new shop in the village? its a shame that your Dr's didnt get the contract but then that lets them provide a better Dr's, no? More shops meens more choice?

If the new ones needs temp. premises they could always give the council a shout as they could hire part of the school, now they have plenty room in there! :)

The planning permission for the pharmacy was knocked back so they will have to find alternatives. The Scalloway people are unhappy as the local doctor depended on the income from prescribing to provide additional services which may well be lost if the pharmacy opens.

The Scalloway surgery has for a long time operated above the minimum statutory requirement of service, and has an excellent track record on waiting times in general. The reduced income is said by them, and their disclosed figures, to mean the reduction of one doctor (or equivalent) plus some of the additional services.

A pharmacy would be great, but only if the level of care remained as it is, was not reduced to the statutory minimum and patients could still collect prescriptions on site. The pharmacy board ain't going to let that happen. For a parent with sick children, or the elderly or infirm, it is a significant journey to add to walk to the Main Street, or find somewhere nearby to park, to collect a script.

It should not be forgotten in this that the health board held a public consultation, which drew an unprecedented response from the community in favour of considering both application concurrently. It was the first such consultation on this issue, but the Health Board reps insisted that they had to rely on "Custom and Practice" and consider only the first received. It has never been easy to understand how they applied "custom and practice" to something that had never been done like this before. :?

The word "consultation" has truly been sullied in recent times.

Being a tooonie can you tell me what extra the Scalloway folk get from our nhs that we dont get in the toon?

We have to go into the street to get our perscriotions so i dont see why they cant as well? Think the walk will keep you healthy, probely do you good.

If your that ill you have a blue bagde and you can park on the street right oot side the new shop.

They must be empty shops in Scalloway as i can only think of 3 so whats in the rest of Main Street? is the old post office and museum buildings being used? I think id be delighted to see a new chemist like the market x one comming to Scaloway

The Scalloway surgery has for a long time operated above the minimum statutory requirement of service, and has an excellent track record on waiting times in general. The reduced income is said by them, and their disclosed figures, to mean the reduction of one doctor (or equivalent) plus some of the additional services.

A pharmacy would be great, but only if the level of care remained as it is, was not reduced to the statutory minimum and patients could still collect prescriptions on site. The pharmacy board ain't going to let that happen. For a parent with sick children, or the elderly or infirm, it is a significant journey to add to walk to the Main Street, or find somewhere nearby to park, to collect a script.

It should not be forgotten in this that the health board held a public consultation, which drew an unprecedented response from the community in favour of considering both application concurrently. It was the first such consultation on this issue, but the Health Board reps insisted that they had to rely on "Custom and Practice" and consider only the first received. It has never been easy to understand how they applied "custom and practice" to something that had never been done like this before. :?

The word "consultation" has truly been sullied in recent times.

And now some of the elderly or infirm, who don’t have a car and have to use taxis. Will have to pay evermore. If the Lerwick pharmacy is anything to go by. The last time I was there, half of the prescription was not on site and would take a week to get in. And the rest would take over I hour to make up. So those elderly or infirm would have to pay waiting time as well as the normal taxi fair

At least the surgery had a big waiting room for them to sit in and have a taxi come and pick them up.

Being a tooonie can you tell me what extra the Scalloway folk get from our nhs that we dont get in the toon?

We have to go into the street to get our perscriotions so i dont see why they cant as well? Think the walk will keep you healthy, probely do you good.

If your that ill you have a blue bagde and you can park on the street right oot side the new shop.

They must be empty shops in Scalloway as i can only think of 3 so whats in the rest of Main Street? is the old post office and museum buildings being used? I think id be delighted to see a new chemist like the market x one comming to Scaloway

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not the case that the Scalloway Doctor's office has been a dispensary of long standing because there was no chemist in Scalloway, while the Lerwick Doctors' office hasn't been, as the place has always had chemist shops goind waay back.

Why, especially in these days of centralisation etc, the hell-bent desire of the NHS Board to spilt them up and spread them around, when what is seemed to be doing the job okay, or the customers seem to think so anyway. If it ain't broke.....

Should local health services not be what the folk using them need and want, not what the NHS Board say they should want and like, driven by some opportunist business person who sees an opening to make a buck?

Yeh there is a dispensary in the surgery for prescriptions, very handy and waiting times for appointments at the moment are excellent.

I assume a 'pharmacy shop' -for the practise- would just mean extra revenue from the other non-prescription stuff that general chemists sell, false eye lashes and the like :wink: but also keep the imcome from prescriptions with the practise itself and so support it.

There's no Town Service bus that goes around Scalloway. There's no bus stop at our health service door to the street so for the elderly who don't have a blue badge or a parent with a young child, this is quite a walk in adverse weather conditions

not quite fusion. a large part of the doctors practice income came from the dispensary. less money coming in will effect what is offered.

I have yet to meet a skint GP. I fail to see why and how it will affect services offered (With the exception obviously of dispensing prescribed drugs on-site). GPs get paid extra to run the likes of diabetes clinics, asthma clinics, smoking cessation clinics, etc.

In addition, many pharmacies are under contract with the NHS to deliver prescriptions, free of charge, to those unable to collect from their premises (the disabled, older people and so forth).

not quite fusion. a large part of the doctors practice income came from the dispensary. less money coming in will effect what is offered.

I have yet to meet a skint GP. I fail to see why and how it will affect services offered (With the exception obviously of dispensing prescribed drugs on-site). GPs get paid extra to run the likes of diabetes clinics, asthma clinics, smoking cessation clinics, etc.

In addition, many pharmacies are under contract with the NHS to deliver prescriptions, free of charge, to those unable to collect from their premises (the disabled, older people and so forth).

trust me unlink it will effect the service that they can offer. as others have said reduced clinics and longer waits. i know that scalloway have excellent gps and practice staff. it would be a serious shame to damage it for private profit.

unlink the gps in shetland are employed by the healthboard and not self employed like south. a gp has done 5 years basic training and the extra to be qualified as a gp so why should they not come out with a decent wage.

there is a big diffrence from someone being bone idle to get out of their car to post a letter and ill/elderly being expected to travel further. yes they can get the script delivered but they can be a wait of at least a day and that was south. surly it will cost more to employ a pharmacist and other staff than what is there now. these cost will get passed on to the folks in the scalloway catchment area.