Trolls

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of us are happy about this situation and hope it has been handled in some ways satisfactorily, though there are no winners in something like this.

For what it's worth I think Shetlink handled this troll really well. As you say Njugle, there are no winners in this unfortunately. But the troll - he or she, who knows? - was given a fair crack of the whip to prove it wasn't just at it.

The articles posted by Trout make for interesting reading. I think the nub of it all is that we should really just feel sorry for the people behind Troll-like behaviour. You can't help thinking they must have really dismal, tragic and disappointing lives away from their keyboards.

The articles posted by Trout make for interesting reading. I think the nub of it all is that we should really just feel sorry for the people behind Troll-like behaviour. You can't help thinking they must have really dismal, tragic and disappointing lives away from their keyboards.

I think the problem is they never leave there keyboards....

None of us are happy about this situation and hope it has been handled in some ways satisfactorily, though there are no winners in something like this.

Njugle

The banning of Segatrix is unjustified. He or she has posted some provocative but well argued posts which may may have been contrary to the views some other posters. So what? You can't just ban someone because they're winding you up.

It is with great regret that we announce that Shetlink has exercised its right and this user has now been blocked from using the forum board. This decision is final.

Admin

I read this to mean the admin of this forum are not open to reasonable arguments.

The Shetlink team cannot allow this to happen on what is fast becoming a vital communication tool for the Shetland community at home and abroad.

Admin

This makes you sound pompous. If this is such a "vital" tool let people have contrary views - do not go off in a huff.

Waiting to be banned... :roll:

From what I've seen, while Segatrix's posts have been either thought-provoking or just downright provoking I wouldn't have thought he/she necessarily merited a ban.

Shetlink has become a linchpin for communications during the Sakchai affair. The guys behind the scenes of the forum have done and are doing a sterling job. I can fully understand the tensions and heated feelings at this time and the worry of someone like Segatrix creating more tensions. But this is a public forum and, as long as someone abides by the AUP - http://www.shetlink.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=189 - then they should be able to post freely.

The only point I see in the AUP/T&Cs which could possibly be the reason for a ban is perhaps point 7 - 'objectionable', but then that term is a bit subjective. In this time of much talk about justice and fair play, it would be a tad ironic if the mouthpiece by which important news and views are being disseminated becomes over-enthusiastic with its power. Yes, I've commented on trolls in the past and don't particularly like them as much as the next person, but in all my years of internet forum usage, I've never seen anyone 'disappeared' just for getting on folks' tits. :? I sincerely really do hope I've missed something and that the banning is justified.

Ultimately, point 9 says - "Shetlink reserves the right to terminate any User’s participation on the Forum."

IF

it is right what the admin(s) have stated here:

http://www.shetlink.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=15164#15164

they have done their job as they have to do !

Responsible for the biggest German speaking forum about Scotland I surely would have reacted in the same way! Fortunately I had not to do so in the past!

@claudias

I am not resonsible for technical solutions, but as far as I got it, you can't do this within the framework of a php-based forum.

Plain to see he was at least spankybear and segatrix wit the way he acted. That is against any forum anywhere!! HE even in one thread after being reminded about spankybear used the two usernames to respond to himself!! What sort of community spirit is that??

If this is not a troll I do not know what is. Bad situation.

The user was posting as Segatrix, Spankybear and hbgb I believe, and continuing to use them at the same time.

If that's definitely the case, then fairy nuff. Multiple aliases ain't on. I think it was Plucker & I who mentioned Spankybear in relation to trolling in a thread back in April. There can sometimes be a fine line between insistent <& persistent?;)> debate which can get heated and trolling, and I'd hate to think of someone getting banned who isn't a serious troll. But - I fully accept the mods decision, that they've not taken it lightly and that they're doing a good job in trying to keep it a useable arena. :) Apologies to all concerned if I gave the impression of going against their decision - just a keen sense of fair play coming out.. ;)