co-op

fionajohn

My only experience with Peacocks was that what I bought soon fell apart and they also tried to charge me more than the price stated on the label. But making some money from a bit of the store is a good thing if it helps the Co-op to keep going. And of course they do have some products that are far better than Tesco.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Times I am there I allways get a very nice American lady who is positive. I dread to think what would happen if the COOP closed, Tescos is allready a rip off joint, I spend half my time having to compare everything, as most times a 4 pack is more expensive than 4 individuals, even though you would not think so. Plus I see the Tescos here does not have the same deals south and are trying to put Shetland milk out of business (none stop deals on milk all year just here in Shetland, as long as its not the Shetland stuff) they are chancers.

Isnt it typical of shetlink, a few start a complaint and everyone jumps on.

Ironwithin has made several very good points.

Maybe support for fair competition should be a consideration!

Plus I see the Tescos here does not have the same deals south and are trying to put Shetland milk out of business (none stop deals on milk all year just here in Shetland, as long as its not the Shetland stuff) they are chancers.

Surely, that is merely competition and not a deliberate attempt to put a local company out of business. Would you prefer that everyone should pay more for their milk at Tesco, then?

A friend tells me that a similar idea in a similar sized Co-op down south (a long way south) was talked about but in the end ""instead they started to stock washing machines and things household. Kettle, dishes etc. Less food more hardware.""

Wonder if this is going to raise concerns about existing planning consent for the Co-op. Is the 10% limit on non food goods still in force and indeed after the Tesco extension can it be enforced. One thing I would not like to see is the Co-op being stopped trying new things while Tesco more or less does what it wants.

But in defence of Tesco I would like to point out that almost all shoppers are equipped with the tools needed to navigate their way through the pricing structure that Tesco and the other big supermarkets use and which can deceive the unwary. We have eyes and a brain and if we cannot take the time to work out the best deal then frankly Tesco deserves the extra profit. And if brain is not up to instant maths then use a calculator.

Also somewhat in defence of Tesco if they really wanted to put Shetland Farm Dairies out of business would they not simply refuse to stock Shetland milk rather than give quite a lot of shelf space to it?.

But in defence of Tesco I would like to point out that almost all shoppers are equipped with the tools needed to navigate their way through the pricing structure that Tesco and the other big supermarkets use and which can deceive the unwary. We have eyes and a brain and if we cannot take the time to work out the best deal then frankly Tesco deserves the extra profit.

I sent the alcohol manager chappie in our local Sainsbury’s off to check a price the other day when I was trying to buy a Christmas bottle of Grouse for the head janny. ‘Yes’, said he, coming back with a bemused look, ‘that’s what it says on the (centrally programmed) computer – 1 litre £16, 70cl £16.49’. Caveat emptor.

I see that many folk seem to need a smiling face while they shop, I don't go to the supermarket to make friends but to just get my shopping done with the least hanging round as possible!

Small talk is under rated...

When a checkout assistant asks me how I am I'm always reminded that they are told to ask, if I passed the same person in the street would they still ask me how I am?

I'm for honesty. If you mean it, say it! Cut the crap, there's too much of it around.

Oh- and Yuletide Felicitations to all on Shetlink - I mean that! :D

When a checkout assistant asks me how I am I'm always reminded that they are told to ask, if I passed the same person in the street would they still ask me how I am?

I'm for honesty. If you mean it, say it! Cut the crap, there's too much of it around.

I worked at a Lerwick supermarket some years ago - and we certainly weren't told what to say back then. But I always made small talk (including asking how the customer was doing) with my customers because I wanted to - it a) made the day go a little faster and B) got some very positive feedback and actually got to know some people I would not have done otherwise.

While it may well be that some checkout operators are 'told what to say', it's wrong to assume it's never genuine.

I worked at a supermarket checkout in Lerwick and the hi, hello, how are you stuff was genuine and nothing to do with the rules. Recognised most of the customers and even those I didn't it was a greeting from the heart rather than from the rule book. Much the same as my greeting to checkout staff now. Mean what I say.