Electricity supply and powercuts

JustMe

rangerover wrote

he latest electricity interuption was caused by a local circuit breaker, nothing to cause us concern.

They hope to have all areas back on by this afternoon.

I think it is about time that electricity suppliers were forced to give compensation for each power cut......something like £10 a time. At least they might have patrols out checking for birds nests.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rangerover wrote

he latest electricity interuption was caused by a local circuit breaker, nothing to cause us concern.

I think it is about time that electricity suppliers were forced to give compensation for each power cut......something like £10 a time. At least they might have patrols out checking for birds nests.

I couldn't agree more!! Power cuts due to weather damage and/or reasonable equipment failures are one thing, until and unless our climate changes we will always have the former remaining outwith human control, and even with the best maintenance program in place the latter will occasionally happen, such is life, and I can live with it.

What seems to me to be avoidable is the numerous cuts which occur in this area which last from a few seconds to a minute or so. They mostly occur during the late spring, summer and early autumn, mostly in the late evening or through the night, and mostly on days with "ideal" weather conditions.

The power has been here since the 50's, these type of cuts only started in the late 80's/early 90's, they occur mostly at times of low load, and when weather does not factor in to the equation. If our power could be supplied safely and successfully without them for the most of 40 years, you have to conclude they are both un-necessary and preventable. Why must we tolerate them?

Anyone with a working knowledge of electrial equipment will tell you switching on and off the power to electrical equipment, particularly several times within a short period which these are on occasion, is an excellent way of blowning lightbulbs, blowing fuses, burning out thermostats, power supplies etc etc, the latter of which in particular carries a definite fire hazard risk. Does something drastic have to happen before things are addressed seriously?

On a slightly different tack - I was wanting to contact the Lerwick Power Station today to query why we were getting frequent short power cuts through the summer, of only a few seconds duration. Not a major issue, but annoying when you're trying to book something on the internet and then there are all those bl**dy clocks to set, radio stations, etc. :)>

I phoned the 0845 no in the Shetland Directory for the Lerwick Power Station. I got the interminable round of 'press this button for this', 'press this button for that' then lo and behold, a human voice appeareth eventually out of the ether. It was some centralised electrickery call centre. I ask politely if it would be possible to be put through to the Lerwick Power Station in Shetland. Silence. Where? She attempts to pronounce Lerwick badly then asks me to spell it. She puts me on hold. She eventually comes back and says she can't find a number and I suspect she thinks I'm some nutter who's made this up.

I laugh out loud with raucous laughter. This disconcerts her and she stutters that she will put me through to someone else. I get through to someone in Perth who explains that there has been a problem in Lerwick but that it will be put right soon. I explain that I'm just wondering why we keep getting lots of very short power cuts in the summer, when the weather's not bad. She takes my details and says she will email the Lerwick Power Station and they will ring me. Although this can take a couple of days..

But after all this hoo-ha and waiting, lo and behold, an engineer in Lerwick spotted in on the computer and rang me almost immediately. > He explained about the bird strikes, crows' nests, etc and said it was worse if you're at the end of the line and that if it keeps happening a lot, to get back to them. He was very helpful.

However, if I do want to get back to them, I think good ol' snail mail may be the best option as getting them on the phone is well nigh impossible, takes forever and is hindered slightly by the fact that the call centre people have never heard of Lerwick and even when it is spelled out to them, they still can't find the number.

Centralisation. Doncha just love it. :)

Ah Fifi, electrickery is such a wonderful word. I do sometimes wonder if part of the problem is with the generators at the Sullom Voe Terminal shedding load without warning the people in Lerwick so the can fire up another generator.

Ah, a bit tecknical for me.. ;) I think it should be £10 a shot to pay me for re-setting all these blasted gizmos all the time.. :lol: Or should I ask them to send out an engineer each time to do it for me!

If occasional short power cuts are the height of your moans and worries I suggest you need to get out more people.

The reason that power cuts were first mentioned was in relation to the importance of the Sakchai thread here.

The latest electricity interuption was caused by a local circuit breaker, nothing to cause us concern.

• 1 month later...

Ah, a bit tecknical for me.. ;) I think it should be £10 a shot to pay me for re-setting all these blasted gizmos all the time.. :lol: Or should I ask them to send out an engineer each time to do it for me!

you might want to watch you don't get hit by the lightning making the rounds this morning, the gizmos might blow up! (really, when our house got hit the fax machine and microwave both had to be replaced 8O )

I belive the people that are living in da sooth end o shetland are getting small powercuts/surges due to the cows rubbing themselfs on the poles /stays.

This is a wind up......right?!?

....ur ir Waas ahn Bixtir ahn such kye specialee bred t' onlee claw demsels uhpuh strainers ahn neuks ih daeks. :wink:

Quote from the Shetland News Website

5 August, 2006

AROUND 3,000 households and businesses in Shetland were without power for a short while yesterday afternoon due to a "transient fault".

A spokeswoman for Scottish and Southern Energy said last night that the majority of the customers were back on power within two minutes, but for around 800 it took 19 minutes to be reconnected.

Areas affected were Lerwick, Voe, Brae, Ollaberry and Hillswick.

She said a fault of this kind was a "minor" and regular occurrence involving the power supply being cut off for very short times which were usually never noticed.

However, on this occasion it took longer and she apologised for any inconvenience that had caused.

So "transient" faults (whatever that means) are OK? Never mind having to reset all the videos etc and the work you just spent an hour doing on the computer being lost. I think this backs up my argument for a payment to every consumer for every power cut they experience.....even transient ones.

I'd agree with that, i don't understand how a "transient" power cut with no element of bad weather or disaster can be portrayed as acceptable, and the less noticed power surges that go hand in hand with this sort of thing. We had an saver bulb fuse, light flickering and the main RCD trip the same day, Coincidence? I suspect not.

I'm guessing they are still repairing lightning damage, at least i hope that is their excuse.

(I also seem to remember that the press releases accompanying the new engine that was installed in the power station claimed there would be "no more power cuts" unless under extreme circumstance.)