Voe Pies

BigMouth

I just had my first Voe Bakery chicken and bacon pie from the Tagon Stores. It was absolutely delicious. Is this a new item from the bakery or just a new line in the shop?

As much as I like the bridies, the onion doesn't like me so this was a rare treat.

Keep up the good work!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'm assuming it was one of the cold pies from the fridge - if so it is a line that the previous owners did not stock but we think its awesome and a currently working our way through the Voe Bakery product list so no doubt some other 'new' items will appear soon too!

If you're up early enough in the morning we also do hot pies/bakes between 7.00 and 9.30 ish (but they are usually all gone by 8.15!) current selection include:

Steak Bake £1.39

Sausage Rolls 55p each or 2 for £1.00

Bacon and Cheese Turnover £1.35

Scotch Pie £1.25

Brunchie Bake £1.45 (Scrambled egg, baked beans, smoked ham and pork sausage)

Breakfast Turnover (Sausage, Omelette and Bacon) £1.55

The last two are brand new and were only introduced 2 days ago!

Chicken and Smokey Bacon bake £1.45

Can't believe the previous owners didn't stock Voe pies!! :shock:

I have to agree the chicken and bacon ones hit the spot! 8)

They stocked Voe pies but not as wide a range. I remember seeing steak pies, steak and onion, bridies, macaroni pies etc. etc., but not the chicken and bacon ones.

The Voe pies used to be good, 10 years ago they were about the best local pies you could get, but I've quit buying them from my local shop as over time the quality has steadily decreased while the price has rapidly increased. The last price increase in early December of up to 40p per pie was the final straw.

Agreed - a Voe pie was a thing of beauty and a joy to eat (behold).

Price is a bit steep imho and so they are getting to be a treat rather than a necessity.

I have never seen the chicken/bacon combo but will look out for it on my travels.

The discovery that it is Voe Pie Day (fresh delivery to the shop we happen to be passing) always makes this family smile!

Oops, I'm with Ghostie on this one (surprise, surprise). When he first started (force)feeding me them, they were just about bearable with the occasional one obviously having bypassed Quality Control but after several months, I could stand the torture no more. I'm no lover of salt but it would appear that either the original recipe contained tonnes of the stuff or there was some frequent manufacturing fault whereby the entire establishment's quota got shoved into one batch. :?

Ah ha, along came Christmas and moi decided to purchase a chicken for Him from Mainlands. Now what a treat; not only did said bird get delivered to His door but the butcher also very kindly included two absolutely delicious, EDIBLE meat pies. I can tell you, Ghostie had to pick my chin up off the floor as my innards recovered from the shock of not only being able to chew more than four pieces of meat (Tell a lie, I counted five bits in a Voe pie on one occasion) but also they tasted incredibly good. No surprise then that Ghostie cancelled his longstanding order at local shop for Voe pies after that!

Voe pies the best in Shetland - you having a laugh - I wouldn't even feed them to my dogs!

wow well u cant please everybody eh

Nope, but if Shetland wants to sell produce outwith its shores, then Voe Pies are going to seriously have to look at their Quality Control procedures. Ghostie had been a regular customer and even though I'd only scoffed them from August until December, even I noticed the deterioration in quality. Something is seriously wrong when you don't get just one batch, but batch upon batch of below standard pies. It is only when you purchase from elsewhere do you notice such a vast difference and think to yourself, why the hell am I (or Ghostie, in this particular instance) paying for such inferior crap?

i love the sweet chilli chicken and curry pies. they did have a problem awhile back the chilli ones much to much chilli nearly inedible but with determination i managed. they are back to normal now.

everyone has there prefrences one should bear in mind that no one makes you buy stuff you don't like. just becaue its not to your liking does not make it bad.

still the best pies are hollands. my sister has been in london for 30 years and she still misses them. not keen on the mainlands ones myself.

matters little now as im not allowed any.