NorthLink lose ferry contract

suuusssiiieee

Just heard something on the radio about Serco intending to use "zero hour" contracts for ferry crews and expecting at least some of the people to work anywhere in the Serco empire rather than just on Northlink. I know some of you thought my views about Bob Crow and the RMT a bit extreme when he was talking about a strike ballot over pensions but I think if this is the sort of thing Serco aim to do then they are not fit to run Northlink and the handover should be stopped.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just heard that when serco take over the ferries that if you wish to eat in the a la carte restaurant you cannot book it unless you are booked into a premier cabin! If for example you are only travelling to orkney and are only on as a foot passenger is your money not good enough to be spent there?

Just heard something on the radio about Serco intending to use "zero hour" contracts for ferry crews and expecting at least some of the people to work anywhere in the Serco empire rather than just on Northlink. I know some of you thought my views about Bob Crow and the RMT a bit extreme when he was talking about a strike ballot over pensions but I think if this is the sort of thing Serco aim to do then they are not fit to run Northlink and the handover should be stopped.

I heard this about the contracts earlier this week. I would imagine if the crews refuse the new contracts then Serco will just turn around and take on foreign crew.

Job done.

I heard this about the contracts earlier this week. I would imagine if the crews refuse the new contracts then Serco will just turn around and take on foreign crew.

Job done.

"Oh no they won't". Or more to the point "Oh no they can't!." British ships have British crews and hopefully the Scottish Government have something in the contract to keep the ferries British registered.

British ships have British crews and hopefully the Scottish Government have something in the contract to keep the ferries British registered.

Clearly you have more faith in the numpties in Edinburgh and their IQ's than I do. Lets hope you're right though, but it would come as no surprise to me to see any North Boat with Liberia, Belize or the like painted on its stern, and manned wholly by Eastern Europeans and/or Asians.

Job done.

"Oh no they won't". Or more to the point "Oh no they can't!." British ships have British crews and hopefully the Scottish Government have something in the contract to keep the ferries British registered.

Have you been on the cargo boats ever? That certainly aint a british crew, not that I have any probllem with that, they were well mannered, friendly and helpful, I'm also aware that several of the docking crew under the previous contract are not british, employ the person who is best for the job.

The Scottish ( SNP ) government couldnt give a damn about Shetland, why do you think SERCO won the contract. SNP have no voters up here, hence change in contract, go ahead for windfarm, which has been rejected in strong SNP areas of Scotland

:lik:

The leopard doesn't change its spots. Greedy Ministers and siddy mael yesterday, sleekit politicians today, such is evolution.

so the new boss of serco/northlink will be based in aberdeen, and going amongst the locals to get their veiws on norhtern island ferries. how many folk in aberdeen actually get the ferry to shetland or orkney?? would it not be better to ask orcadians and shetlanders how how to improve the service

so the new boss of serco/northlink will be based in aberdeen, and going amongst the locals to get their veiws on norhtern island ferries. how many folk in aberdeen actually get the ferry to shetland or orkney?? would it not be better to ask orcadians and shetlanders how how to improve the service

Whats odds does that make? Northlink was in Orkney and did that make any odds to the folk in Shetland? Not a dam thing! Remember how bad they were when they took over from P&O, I for one did not shed a tear when they lost the contract, if they come back they might get better boats for the Shetland route next time.

I remember how they slagged off P&O food and service then made exactly the same, remember they werent going to open an office in Shetland untill we kicked up that we couldnt book without phoning some call centre. They came in big guns 'not were are here, then things all went wrong. How great the mighty fall.

I dont think northlink did anything special than anyone else would have done if they wone the contract instead.

For me going on P&O was boring as it was cafe, bar, bed! and northlink gave us Bar, cafe, bed! and if you wanted to watch a film on a wee tv it cost you, atleast P&O it was free!

As long as the front line staf transfer under TUPE then it wont make any odds where the big boss it, as far as i was conserned he could have been in southhampton.

I used to have quite a good time on the P&O ferries, bands, jam sessions and entertainment. I knew one or two of the crew. It was a better atmosphere than the Northlink Ferries. Northlink were cheap.

The food on P&O was not much better from the grill. The smell from the lower decks could be a little overpowering.

As ever, time will tell.

Are you sure you haven't just heard that the way you wanted so you could have a whinge and a greet with the usual "dem sooth eens niver listen ta wis" crap