Rubbish bags

whiskin

Something that seems to have been overlooked by many is that we *pay* for our rubbish bags from the council by way of the almost £100 per week council tax we are forced to hand over.

If they are to stop supplying them, or cut the quantity, I would expect to see a reduction in council tax to reflect this.

Consequently, as with a vast majority of the "cuts" often discussed, this would save nothing and indeed in real terms cost the council more by having to clean up the mess caused by those using alternatives to the good quality bags currently provided.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that seems to have been overlooked by many is that we *pay* for our rubbish bags from the council by way of the almost £100 per week council tax we are forced to hand over.

Blimey, mine is under a £100 a month! :shock:

What an odd statement, your council tax, is only a small part of the councils budget. The too and frow of monies makes it subjective whether your money pays for your bags or a contribution from Lancashires business rates.

Cheeses, you pay on the value of the house. Some are cheaper than others, perhaps they should get less bags.

Now, how much are bags? Perhaps another opportunity to see how much more you could recycle to save on your bag expediture, as well as the truck, fuel, roads, wages, signs, social care.

I am fully aware of how councils budgets work, but it has always been the case that "council tax" is considered to be the rates you pay towards the council services you receive, at least thats how they make it look in the "invoice" they send each year. (I thought everyone paid the same these days, depending on services received of course?)

If they are to cut some of those services, it is only reasonable to expect a reduction in the bill.

Sure it is common sense to economize and recycle where possible, but people have done that all through time and any saving that can be made by taking it further is miniscule in the grand scheme of things facing this council just now, but tats another thread :)

As mentioned elsewhere, the lack of communication as to what is or isn't happening is the real issue going back to the topic in hand.

If they have been cut as a saving exercise, I stick by my belief (following many a summer on the Essey Kert) that supplying people with decent bags could be as economical as having to deal with the extra work caused by those who put things out in all sorts of weird containers in their absence.

We got ours :)

On 'other council' issue... in one area I lived you had to buy your black bags from the council office, which were branded with local authority name. You had to use these otherwise the bin men wouldn't take them.

Crossing the county border and we had 3 wheelie bins provided free, one for general waste, one for all recyclable inc glass and one for garden waste. They were collected alternate weeks.

Unlinked I'm now curious on how much each area of Shetland pays in council tax!

All areas are the same; CT is based on the value of the property. There's a chart on the SIC website.

But the "value" of the property depends on location. Multi bedroom house on Yell rated as band A while a single bedroom flat in Lerwick rated as band B.