well done the relay for life folks

paulb

That's a tad unfair, paulb, given that many of the UK events are not taking place until June or even late July. Yes, the figure raised so far is extremely generous ... those people that do donate to charities tend to give what they can afford and there are many people who might dearly wish to donate to various good causes but are unable to do so in the same manner they had done in the past due to the crippling effects of the recession.

That's a tad unfair, paulb, given that many of the UK events are not taking place until June or even late July. Yes, the figure raised so far is extremely generous ... those people that do donate to charities tend to give what they can afford and there are many people who might dearly wish to donate to various good causes but are unable to do so in the same manner they had done in the past due to the crippling effects of the recession.

The spokesperson for CRUK said Shetland was showing the UK, not just this year, but 2 years ago, the biggest relay in Europe she said, can't argue with that, well done Shetland.

The spokesperson for CRUK said Shetland was showing the UK, not just this year, but 2 years ago, the biggest relay in Europe she said, can't argue with that, well done Shetland.

... which is a hell of a lot different to what paulb said "you showed the rest of the uk up", but thanks for posting what the spokesperson said. For those inclined to give to health charities, it may have set the tone for the rest of the UK to follow.

shocking numbers and shocking donations you showed the rest of the uk up. well done.
I think paulb means that it was "shocking" how high were the numbers of participants and the high level of donations. Obviously paulb has problems with spelling and capital letters and maybe that extends to grammar. Which of course makes him (or her) brave to regularly post on a public forum such as Shetlink.

Thank you just me for understanding. I am now using a spell checker so it should improve hopefully.

I don't think that it's a case of 'understanding' at all. More a case of some people being all to willing to apply their own interpretation to what others write.

NB. I knew what you meant. The last part of your posting was a dead giveaway..

Thank you just me for understanding. I am now using a spell checker so it should improve hopefully.

I don't think that it's a case of 'understanding' at all. More a case of some people being all to willing to apply their own interpretation to what others write.

NB. I knew what you meant. The last part of your posting was a dead giveaway..

I agree. I think most people with half an ounce of wit could gather what was being said there but as usual there's always 1 or 3 who can't just let something as inocuous as that slide!

I totally agree anyway, if the rest of the UK can get anywhere near that figure then good on them but it does just show the level of generosity and goodwill by the Shetland people that makes this event stand out over any other in Europe. -- Of its kind obviously before someone takes that out of context! ;-)