Viking Statue

mcconnachie

Hey guys,

Can I canvass some opinion on an idea I have.

I was driving into Lerwick and looked up at Staneyhill. I thought Lerwick would look great if it was overlooked by a large landmark statue in the same kind of way that the 'angel of the north' works in Durham or Christ the Redeemer in Rio.

Maybe a huge Viking blowing the Viking horn and symbolically calling back Shetlanders and visitors. (don't laugh)

I know that money is tight but it'd be a great tourist emblem and something that would leave a lasting legacy. Could be modern art. Could be more traditional.

It would create an image that would mark Shetland out as something distinct in the eyes of the world.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the same way that ships had figureheads on them, The Knab would be a great place for a statue.

A statue on top of Staney Hill would also be interesting - I can picture it now actually but unfortunately cost and lack of political will to make decisions mean it'll never happen.

Good idea though.

Unfortunately it looks like fairly soon there's going to be 103 enormous 'statues' dotted around mainland Shetland. I guess they would symbolise quite a lot of recent Shetland political history though - something costing millions of pounds of public money, going round and round in circles and not really getting anywhere. Not so much 'Christ the Redeemer' as 'Christ what a monstrosity.'

Sorry for the cynicism there. It would be good in theory to have some landmark structure put up somewhere, but I really hope that if anything is built that it has no connection with Vikings at all, it's bad enough having to suffer it every January without it being in your face all the time.

Great idea! No sarcasm, one common complaint is there's so little "Viking" stuff about. A Viking statue overlooking Bressay sound with a little picnic area would be great, especially if it were so positioned to draw attention away from the Shetland Hotel & Judanes when the boat came in...

Unfortunately it looks like fairly soon there's going to be 103 enormous 'statues' dotted around mainland Shetland. I guess they would symbolise quite a lot of recent Shetland political history though - something costing millions of pounds of public money, going round and round in circles and not really getting anywhere. Not so much 'Christ the Redeemer' as 'Christ what a monstrosity.' ...

:lik:

LOL. But if it's Viking shouldn't it be LEIRVIK?

Actually Lerwick town is just Lerwick. Its name stems from the geographical watery location at the foot of Mounthooly Street, the so-called muddy bay. That wick would have originally been Leirvik (or something similarly Norsky), but the town came so much later it seems to have always been Lerwick.

Nice Hollywood parody pic :-). When I had the Cleeves TV drama filming at the house, I thought the zone had become Loddywood.