Odour from Bressay Fish Meal Factory

sausagesoup

Does anyone know if anything can be done about the abhorrant smell in Lerwick from the Heogan Fish Meal factory?  I appreciate it is a good industry and employer.  BUt the smell is awful sometimes and must have an impact on tourism?  Is it not breaking pollution legislation?

Does anyone know if anything can be done about the abhorrant smell in Lerwick from the Heogan Fish Meal factory?  I appreciate it is a good industry and employer.  BUt the smell is awful sometimes and must have an impact on tourism?  Is it not breaking pollution legislation?

Seriously?  What are they supposed to do?

Da Gut Factory.

I can mind it something awful when I was at the AHS twenty odd year ago.

You might get a peerie whiff nooadays, but trust me, the smell is pretty much non-existant now compared to what it was then!.

Edited by Kavi Ugl

A few years back I ended up stuck in Bressay for several hours due to the ferry having to stop for weather. So, having had enough of Maryfield, we embarked on a touristic tour of the isle. Obviously the gut factory will be high on anyone's list of highlights ;-), so there we went. I was amazed to find it operational. As others have noted, I've not noticed a whiff from Heogan for many, many years. I had actually assumed it had closed long ago.  Turns out that forcing the plant to clean up its emissions was SEPA's first achievement in Shetland after being established.

Back in the 70s the smell was indeed byocking, but the stinking oil in the harbour and on the beaches was even worse. Clothes affected had to be dumped.