Petition for resignation of SIC

B/M/S

Where exactly did I write that the petition wasn't demonstrating in a legal manner?

It is anti-democratic as the electorate voted to put these people in place and that is where they should stay until the next election unless any choose to resign as their own choice.

If you don't like their choice as regards decisions taken by them then, by all means, demonstrate in a legal manner and see where it takes you/us.

By stating the petition was "anti-democratic" and that those elected should have a god given right to see through their term in office regardless, followed by a suggestion that displeased folk should "demonstrate in a legal manner". This is, as I read it,  an inference that demonstrating by signing a petition and having an expectation that a councillor or councillors could possibly be made to feel they had no choice but resign, is somehow "less than legal".

I would suggest that anyone who thinks the councillors are doing a crap job should seek election themselves at the first opportunity of doing so.

I'd love to, but unfortunately local democracy as it currently stands, makes it virtually impossible for someone, if elected, to have any reasonable aspiration of fulfilling their duties adequately if they cannot due to physical constraints actually attend meetings in person.

I'd love to, but unfortunately local democracy as it currently stands, makes it virtually impossible for someone, if elected, to have any reasonable aspiration of fulfilling their duties adequately if they cannot due to physical constraints actually attend meetings in person.

Perhaps you should enquire, and let us know, it may be worth looking at.

The SIC are running a series of meetings to give people the chance to get involved in planning for next year’s budgets. 

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/news-advice/buildingbudgets.asp

@ Ghostrider

I seem to recall at a recent meeting a member took part through a video link. As they weren't there in person they couldn't vote personally but had to appoint another member as a proxy.

@ Ghostrider

I seem to recall at a recent meeting a member took part through a video link. As they weren't there in person they couldn't vote personally but had to appoint another member as a proxy.

Well, that's something at least, as far as it goes. The voting arranagement, while having potential, is less than ideal, and a whole lot more would need to be known about the practicalities. As I see it, if this kind of facility is available it would need to be publicised adequately to potential candidates at the appropriate time, after all its common knowledge that public buildings are fitted with such things as ramps and handrails etc so that those with a disability which affects their mobility aren't discriminated against, but beyond that what facilities are provided as standard for folk with other disabilities is a closed book.

There is always way round situations like this, I doubt you are the first.

You have to get elected first.

There's a way round all situations, even it it involves using a loaded AK-47!

As I see it, it should not be up to someone to be elected first, and only then try and demand facilities are provided so that they can discharge their duties adequately, as it could well turn out what needs to be provided for them to do so, for some reason or another can only be provided after an unacceptably long wait and/or at obscenely high cost.

IMHO the onus should be on the public body inviting nominations for candidates, to state clearly up front just what facilities can reasonably be expected to be provided by them to assist the disabled in executing their duties, if elected.

It is a cracking show of people power, the online vote equals less that 1% of the population, that is if folk who signed it are registered to vote in Shetland, let's hope the paper one does better.

So, 0.65% of the electorate (subject to conformation) should be dismissed as "irrelevant", but if approx 2.5% of the entire Shetland population (subject to confirmation they were old enough to know where they were, and understand why they were there) make their mark, its described by one of the organisers as a "fantastic turnout", and nobody disagrees.

If we were talking national populations here, I might tend to see where you're pulling such a conclusion from, but at approx 22,000 max the difference is only in a few hundreds. Neither is exactly a great benchmark of the strength of opinion when such small numbers are involved, be it 100+ or 600+ it proves its not just one or two cranks on soap boxes, that's all.

Well your hands are tied. But you will hide behind your keyboard. You have aa da answers. Unfortunately due to Democracy you winna pit yoursel up for election. Dat taks BALLS!

Shetland Is missin oot on this hidden talent. Shetlanders love to be told how wrang dey ir. You really ir da guys ta tell wis. 'Cos we need a tellin.

I expect all the critics to be upstanding and contest at the next election. I reckon though there will be a moorin o excuses as to why dey winna.

I see, so in your world the electorate should not be able to criticise elected members, unless they are prepared to stand themselves.! Now wouldn't that give the current bunch a free hand to do what they want.

I don't think the answer is " if your not prepared to stand you can't criticise" nor is it sitting behind a keyboard complaining anonymously. (Although I suppose if read by the right people, this may have some effect). Maybe we should all take more responsibility and ask to meet our councillors or attend more meetings that the council hold, so that we can be more informed and raise our concerns.

I'm not sure how a mass resignation of councillors would help. The positions just need to be filled again and who says they will be any better, never mind the experience and knowledge that would be lost. There are some genuine councillors who do a good job and unfortunately the usual bunch of wannabes or those who think they are something special. That will likely always be the case.

Perhaps we, the electorate need to give more thought about who we elect and why we think they are the right person to represent us. How often have you heard someone say ' I hope they get in, as they will stir it up'?

I have met several folk who have put themselves in the firing line regardless. As said. You need to get elected. If you are confident you will be then there are no obstacles that cannot be over come. When it comes to it, it would depend on how committed you are to resolving any issues you campaign to be elected on. Arrangements will be made. It should not be used as a reason not to stand. If anything, it should be more of a reason. Imagine the two scenarios, Councillor unable to attend meetings due to inadequate facilities or, nothing.

Snip.....

Now wouldn't that give the current bunch a free hand to do what they want.

Sadly, it is the residents of Shetland who has allowed that to happen, for decades, according to these threads, the folk of Shetland have elected "inept" and "greedy" officials. Yet then, they (you) blame them for everything that is wrong and say little of the good that is done. Always the same few folk in the paper, always the same few folk here. Why do Shetland folk continue to vote in this "shower"? Sadly many of the complainees are just gobsh1tes and have little really to offer, some quietly contemplate what they think they can do, very few really stick their head above the parapit.

We hear little of Billy Fox really now, some will say he has been subjected to the "bile" of the county and has been "nobbled", though, he may have found out you need to work quietly from within. It really is the only way when you can count on one hand any protest in the street for the last decade or so.

All the words in quote marks have been mentioned on Shetlink about 3 lots of councillors now.

Well your hands are tied. But you will hide behind your keyboard. You have aa da answers. Unfortunately due to Democracy you winna pit yoursel up for election. Dat taks BALLS!

Shetland Is missin oot on this hidden talent. Shetlanders love to be told how wrang dey ir. You really ir da guys ta tell wis. 'Cos we need a tellin.

Dat'll be fine Im shure, bit sees du, dis is da thing, is du gyaan ta vot fur me?

Edited by Ghostrider