News reporting

Windwalker

Does anyone else feel that the news reporting on a linked site is getting a bit close to the bone?

Now I'm no prude and will use the occasional explicit now and again, but I'm not sure they are necessary in news reports, which seem to becoming more common. Seeing the use of the "C" word in print, just feels wrong and unnecessary. All that was needed to be reported was that the defendant swore at the sheriff.

I also do not like when people in news reports are referred to by their surname only. Eg 'Johnson said they had raised a lot of money for charity'. I feel it's a bit disrespectful.

Has the previous editor of the News of the world joined the local news site?

I can now just about tolerate the f word in print but the the c word is over the top. . I understand the user is verbally limited but no need for the electronic press to publicise it.

This strange use of the surname is emulating the English public school style whilst. in Shetland the equivalent has always been the use of the given name or nickname  only.

Can't comment.  I stopped buying the Shetland Times many years ago..... 

My big isssue with newspapers (and the media in general) is the self importance that they attach to their 'pronouncements' and 'opinion pieces'.  If I want them them, I only have to listen to the wife..<G>

Edited by Colin

My big isssue with newspapers (and the media in general) is the self importance that they attach to their 'pronouncements' and 'opinion pieces'.  If I want them them, I only have to listen to the wife..<G>

Sorry Colin, I wasn't referring to the Shetland Times, but I agree with your views on 'opinion pieces' :-)

Colin, have a look at the 'Fisher trial adjourned' item on the Shetlink newsfeed if you want an example of what the OP's referring to.

And yes, I do feel it is completely unnecessary. they'll be showing pictures of 'horrific injuries' next.  :roll:

Maybe I'm just getting on a bit, but I feel the use of bad language, should be discouraged where possible. Is it really necessary to use use the F or C word as part of their reports, I would have thought they would appreciate that many of their readers, both old and young might find this offensive.

Also referring to people as "Johnson" rather than say " Mrs Johnson" is in my opinion disrespectful. When did this nonsense start. I'm sure our local media can work to higher standards than the gutter press which I stopped buying years ago.

I totally agree about the printing of the c word and also the f word.I was a bit surprised a while ago to see Shetland news printing the f word. You hear these words the whole time now and it makes me cringe every time I hear them. I was brought up in a generation where you never used words like that. I really don't want to see them in print and I'm sure many will find it offensive.

Don't get me wrong, I swear like a stoker in certain company, but I know when to stow it. 

Maybe they're trying to be a bit more 'progressive' in their reporting style, but personally I don't think it's the right place. That's why I mentioned showing gruesome pictures next, that's the road some of the tabloids are going down at the moment and I believe it is wrong.

No doubt someone will say that the public have the right to know what was said. I'd counter that with I know all the sweary words (including some in various languages), I've seen the violence and I know what goes on in the world and I don't need the fine detail shoved in my fizzog every time I read something. It is possible to write reports on violent or abusive lawbreaking without sticking every blow into the account.

The question is - where do we draw the line?

If you don't want to see swear words, don't read the publication.

I think it's rather stupid to see f*** or c*** given it's obvious to many what they actually mean.  Some people cry "Protect the children!" - apart from the fact many of us not wearing rose-tinted glasses realise that in many playgrounds up and down the UK you'll hear more swear words there than in places frequented by adults.

Stop with the censorship, just print the words in full, and teach children when and where it's appropriate/acceptable to use such 'colourful' language.  For example, one wouldn't swear in church.

It's like many laws in society which don't really reflect the reality going on; after all, why is it okay for a man to be topless but not a woman?  Oh hang on a sec, members of UK society are turning into bigger prudes than many of our neighbouring countries these days by even placing people on the Sex Offenders Register for answering the door just wearing boxer shorts ... morals have shifted and the laws on what is lewd/immoral haven't, yet we have laws stating that we can't even use lewd language in personal chat rooms on the internet - like that stops anyone.

Maybe I'm just getting on a bit, but I feel the use of bad language, should be discouraged where possible. Is it really necessary to use use the F or C word as part of their reports, I would have thought they would appreciate that many of their readers, both old and young might find this offensive.

Also referring to people as "Johnson" rather than say " Mrs Johnson" is in my opinion disrespectful. When did this nonsense start. I'm sure our local media can work to higher standards than the gutter press which I stopped buying years ago.

Bad language, as such, doesn't bother me at all and, like a lot of others, I hear it pretty much all day, every day.  It just seems to have become a part of the general language but, there is a time and place for everything.

Been know to use a few "choice" words myself on occaison.

Newspapers, however, should understand that it is actually an offense to swear in public and, given that, I would assume that they should try and curb unnescessary usage of certain words.

Personally, I would not buy a newspaper unless I thought that it was "serious" about the news and presented it in a clear, unambiguos and unbiased way.  Not interested in "opinion pieces",  other people's "agendas", "sensationalism", "Scandal mongering" or, ladies with their "tata's" out on page 3.    Going to wait a long time for that to happen.

Bottom line is quite simple.  If you don't like something, don't be a slave to your habits, vote with your wallet.

It must be remembered that the English language is still a growing language and probably always will be. What is and is not considered to be acceptable, be it in phraseology, pronunciation or the context that a word is used in, changes day by day. What our parents considered to be swearing or cursing is quite probably either ignored, or just plain forgotten about, by each and every single one of us.

What we have grown up seeing as rude, coarse and socially unacceptable will be seen totally differently by those that come along after us - and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Stop with the censorship, just print the words in full, and teach children when and where it's appropriate/acceptable to use such 'colourful' language.  For example, one wouldn't swear in church.

Yes, stop the censorship - but compel swearing in church. All religion is a lie, inflicted upon us as a control mechanism by the rich and powerful.

Edited by George.

I agree that we don't have to read stuff which we might find offensive, but like others, when reading a local news article, I didn't expect to find the "C" word used. I'm not aware of this locally in the past.

I don't read the daily rags due to the gutter journalism used, so I tend to get general news from the BBC and local from Shetland times or Shetland news. For some stupid reason I would expect them to report stories to certain standards.

Can we expect to turn on the telly just to hear the weather girl saying it'll be p...sn down tomorrow with a c..t of a wind