EU

Redrobbie99

Nope. Sorry. I find it horribly saddening. It would be just as easy to compile a compilation of  Leave voters "spewing" out their own equally moronic opinions, point and shout at them and think you're being clever. Neither video would do anything productive. Quite the opposite!

Alastair Carmichael was taken to court for comments he made which some felt may have influenced how  people voted.

Now we just had a UK democratic vote which concluded the UK  should leave the EU,but because the overall vote for Scotland indicated otherwise, Nicola Sturgeon is now trying to manipulate this by trying to keep Scotland in the EU.

Is it not now the fact  Nicola Sturgeon is trying to avert the course of British democracy and also should now be taken to court.

Edited by Urabug

Nope. Sorry. I find it horribly saddening. It would be just as easy to compile a compilation of  Leave voters "spewing" out their own equally moronic opinions, point and shout at them and think you're being clever. Neither video would do anything productive. Quite the opposite!

There are idiots on both sides yes but it is the Remain voters who are "demanding" a second referendum or for the decision to be overturned. Many Remain voters have been very vocal since the referendum in denouncing the Leave voters as bigots, racists, stupid, old, uneducated and poor. Complete toys out of the pram scenario which should have zero influence on what happens next regarding the EU. 

While all that is true, it is not the whole story either. Name calling and finger pointing at folk who maybe shouldn't be let out unattended serves no meaningful purpose. As I'm sure you know, both sides have expelled a number of toys from their respective prams!

Sorry, but there really is no question that the leave campaign was highly misleading. I've personally spoken to several people here in Shetland that regret their decision now that they are "better informed".

Editorials in publications like The Economist (hardly a "lefty" paper) warn that the impact of this ill-conceived referendum and our inevitable  exit from the EU on the world's financial markets will be considerable and far-reaching.

Anecdotal evidence of a rise in hate crime has already been backed up by data from the police. The National Police Chiefs’ Council said that reports of hate crime to an official website increased 57 per cent on Thursday-Sunday compared with the same period four weeks earlier.

Meanwhile,  the vanguard of the 'Brexiteers' Farage & Borris have all scattered, like cockroaches under torchlight, back to their toff's dinner parties with the like of Murdoch, or their £250,000 columns in right wing broadsheets.

But what do we expect from the likes of Farage? A man who's old school master warned of his extreme fascist and racist views in a letter to his headmaster back in '81,

A guy who 'marched through a quiet Sussex town singing Hitler Youth songs'. Even his own party colleague was shocked when, on the topic of enlisting ex National Front candidates to run said "'There's no need to worry about the ###### vote. The nig-nogs will never vote for us.".

And what are we left with? A torn, divided country, that to the dismay of the  international community, seems inexplicably determined to turn Great Britain into Little England.

And the response from the leave voters? "Oh stop moaning! Get over it! You've lost! Democracy has spoken! It'll not be that bad!"

Well, we shall see. We shall see when the redundancies start to mount, the house prices increase, the NHS is gradually privatised and an economy that relies on the EU for the lion's share of its trade takes the hit from not being able to deal with its closest trading partners on a level playing field.

Almost every expert agrees that this was a terrible move. But I forgot, you're sick of hearing from "experts", eh? Far better to base your vote on Sun editorials, racist billboards and some absurd longing for a bygone Britain that never was.

Edited by Horns 'O' Da Geo

Yeah, well. I can mind '72, and a few before it, and having lived through the entire EEC/EU era, it just strikes me that when events I lived through and remember are regurgitated for current consumption, they show the EEC/EU with a far rosier complexion than it had when the events occured. Then again, I probably should consider the possibility of the effects of Alzheimer's, Dementia, doitin or similar being as I'm a grumpy old fart.

Edited by Ghostrider

The fisheries policy is the only genuinely bad piece of EU legislation to my mind that has adversely effected Shetland folk, and I can understand frustration with it.

That said,  I suspect here are a LOT more multi-millionaires in Whalsay etc now than there there were in '72 - a fact that I don't  require a Europhille Historian to verify...

Still, it's a crappy piece of legislation. However, It's worth noting how poorly some of our own elected MEPs, who had as much say as any other country, did at representing our interests with their lackluster attendance and ineffectual sideline-sneering (whilst still collecting their cheques). Their woeful participation is as responsible for Brussels's poor decisions as any of the much-maligned bureaucrats.

However, the fact remains that we are now out. It'll be interesting to see how effectively we can steer our own ship - I fear that those hoping for a better fishing quotas and boundary control will be shouting in a vacuum, with no representation  where we could really have made a difference as one of the biggest players in Europe. I hope I'm wrong. 

"In our view leaving the EU single market is like smashing a crystal flower vase and then trying to glue the pieces back together again. You may be able to do it, but the result may not hold water, will not be pretty and the flowers will have wilted in the meantime" - JP Morgan statement, July 2016

Sorry, but there really is no question that the leave campaign was highly misleading. I've personally spoken to several people here in Shetland that regret their decision now that they are "better informed".

Editorials in publications like The Economist (hardly a "lefty" paper) warn that the impact of this ill-conceived referendum and our inevitable  exit from the EU on the world's financial markets will be considerable and far-reaching.

Anecdotal evidence of a rise in hate crime has already been backed up by data from the police. The National Police Chiefs’ Council said that reports of hate crime to an official website increased 57 per cent on Thursday-Sunday compared with the same period four weeks earlier.

Meanwhile,  the vanguard of the 'Brexiteers' Farage & Borris have all scattered, like cockroaches under torchlight, back to their toff's dinner parties with the like of Murdoch, or their £250,000 columns in right wing broadsheets.

But what do we expect from the likes of Farage? A man who's old school master warned of his extreme fascist and racist views in a letter to his headmaster back in '81,

A guy who 'marched through a quiet Sussex town singing Hitler Youth songs'. Even his own party colleague was shocked when, on the topic of enlisting ex National Front candidates to run said "'There's no need to worry about the ###### vote. The nig-nogs will never vote for us.".

And what are we left with? A torn, divided country, that to the dismay of the  international community, seems inexplicably determined to turn Great Britain into Little England.

And the response from the leave voters? "Oh stop moaning! Get over it! You've lost! Democracy has spoken! It'll not be that bad!"

Well, we shall see. We shall see when the redundancies start to mount, the house prices increase, the NHS is gradually privatised and an economy that relies on the EU for the lion's share of its trade takes the hit from not being able to deal with its closest trading partners on a level playing field.

Almost every expert agrees that this was a terrible move. But I forgot, you're sick of hearing from "experts", eh? Far better to base your vote on Sun editorials, racist billboards and some absurd longing for a bygone Britain that never was.

Do you seriously believe that over 17 million UK voters are nothing more than brainwashed racist 'Little Englander' Sun readers?

Oh dear.

Certainly a lot were. A lot more than were swayed by the fisheries policy I'll wager. But no, of course there are people who didn't really think it through, were mislead, believed the lies (NHS money anyone?) and thought that the cowards Boris and Farage were to be trusted. And there were some who just genuinely thought it was for the best I'm sure. Needless to say I disagree.