Diversity of, or lack of, shopping in Shetland

dodd

Thank you Fjool, that's exactly the type of attitude I think prevails up here regarding people who make an effort to smarten themselves up.

Smartly dressed....equals.....can't be down-to-earth.

How shallow !!

Oh yes, much more shallow than judging people by how much money they spend on designer clothes :)

Agreed, you shouldn't judge people by what they wear or what they choose to spend their money on.

As the saying goes,....'Don't judge a book by its cover'.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me £4000 would be a huge amount to spend on clothes. We won't spend even half of that in a year - and that's for 5 of us. But that's just because I'm not into buying lots of clothes. When I buy something I expect it to last a long time. (I'm not exactly into high fashion - obviously!)

However, I am in no position to criticise DarkstarIII. I spend silly amounts on gadgets and computer stuff. (My children are dressed in rags so that I may buy a Nintendo Wii. Actually, chance would be a fine thing!)

Back to DarkstarIII's original question: I buy almost all my clothes online - Boden, M&S, Next. And the occasional eBay bargain. I don't buy anything in Shetland. I'm not sure why. Habit probably - and it's exciting getting things in the post!

• 4 weeks later...

At last a topic i can reply to !

This is a subject close to our hearts at the moment as we are at the moment busy *Trying* to furnish & fill our new 6 bedroom house on Fair Isle, but its not without much much banging of heads off the pc table.

Trying to buy items in shetland & pay a fair price seems to be very hard to do.

We spend a good few thousand on a new kitchen from LBC who could not even do us the courtasy of delivering said kitchen to Grutness pier for us yet they advertise free delivery on theyre website. On this also poofed a rather large furniture order from them, no way am I going to cough up a lot of money to kit out 6 bedrooms, the lounge, various other furniture bits & pieces & on top of all that have to find, confirm & pay someone to collect & deliver to grutness for me. Instead we have been ordering from stores in Aberdeen, arranging for shetland transport to collect, ship & deliver to grutness &&&&& save money on the prices we would have to pay if we shopped in shetland & thats including the haulage from Shetland Transport.

Fabrics for curtains all came from online sources offering wholesale deisgner fabrics & all the gizmo's needed to make said curtains & roman blinds. Oak flooring came from Screwfix who shipped the whole lot cheaper than buying in Shetland would have cost us.

We are coming over a few stores stating obscene £14 to £70 charges just to deliver to the shetlands, but working with shetland transport we have avoided these & saved a heck of a lot of money in doing so.

Still got paint to get for 12 rooms & the outside of the house, but im pretty sure that with such a sizable order, the shetland store would hopefully put the paint on the bus to grutness for us.

The only store in shetland who did us proud was the camera centre, i treated myself to a much drooled over camera update from cheap pocket digital number to serious money digital SLR complete with new tripod & all the gubbins, excelent service, & it all worked out cheaper than it would have cost me buying it through Jessops in Aberdeen & they'll see that it goes to the fair isle plane next week for me too. Full marks to the Camera Centre, they've certainly got my business for the future.

Only thing we need now is our gas range, but via these forums Ive been put in the direction of Raemo gas , so fingers crossed, ill have a replacement range cooker soon.

Building a new pc too but I dont think any bricks & mortar store can compete there with the online prices for components.

As for clothes, with a family of 6, i really dont mind having to shop at places like next etc, the quality of garments from next is 2nd to none, & classic styles will never outdate, & when theyre jeans are still looking pretty great after 5yrs wear I cant knock next at all.

Angela

Happy new year and welcome to Shetland. The good weather for New Year makes a change. As for that paint I do worry that it might be considered a "dangerous cargo" for the bus. Life gets better in the summer when the Good Shepherd comes into Lerwick.

As regards general deliveries to Shetland I have found that mainland UK firms vary from no surcharge through several hundred percent surcharge and on to a simple refusal to deliver at any price. Worked in a shop at one point and I reckoned that an overall 10% of the order price for shipping was fine. With a bit of luck they may never notice that Fair Isle is kind of complicated for deliveries even from the Shetland mainland.

Delivering to Grutness (and to Walls and West Burrafirth for the other island ferries) is not so simple as you might think. Sending off a truck to meet a boat that might never arrive is not an option other than for low value goods that can be left in the hut.

Then again this is all part of the joys of island life and as long as you get the paint and the beds before the visitors then best not to fuss too much. Just enjoy.

Trying to buy items in shetland & pay a fair price seems to be very hard to do.

thing we need now is our gas range, but via these forums Ive been put in the direction of Raemo gas , so fingers crossed, ill have a replacement range cooker soon.

When you compare the quote from rearo with web/catalogue quotes, make sure the price is for a range which runs on bottled gas *not* mains gas which is what the majority of places will be selling.

• 5 months later...

I experienced another nail in the coffin for Shetland Retailers today. I was tasked with going to Lerwick and getting a Freeview box for somebody. I tried everywhere that I could think of and not one shop had one in stock.

Something such as a Freeview box at a time when many people are moving to digital should be something that simply doesn't go out of stock.

Anyway, back to the internet retailers once more.

^^^ The years pass, but it seems little else changes in the "Shetland shopping experience". If I had a penny for every time I've heard "Dey nivir hae whit you want whin you geen ta buy it...." in the last 40 years, I could buy up a good chunk of the street myself by now. :P