International football for Shetland

Jonners

We seem to be confusing ' International football teams' and playing football internationally.

Jonners suggested that Shetland,like Gibraltar, could play in Euro and World Cup qualifiers. Commodore stated that it would be ridiculous for Gibraltar to play internationally. I was commenting on those statements.

To most football fans these are the same thing.

International football refers to nations playing against other nations.

If an area, say Andorra, fulfils the FIFA criteria to be classified as a nation (and no, I don't know what the criteria are) then they are able to play other nations at international level. If Gibraltar fulfil the necessary criteria then they too will be free to play international football - FIFA will have rules and regulations in place to state who will be eligible to play for them.

You may remember the Jack Charlton era of managing the Irish national side when Irish grandparents were sought with embarrassing regularity in order to prove eligibility.

So whilst you may find fault with the notion of Gibraltar (or Shetland, or whomever) playing 'international' football, I'm pretty sure the mechanism will exist for the idea to be at least investigated and clarified.

As far as I know,teams like Rangers and Celtic play in the European Cup matches. They are not restricted to purely Scottish players therefore a team calling itself Gibraltar United would not have to be composed of Gibraltarians. Nor would a Shetland team have to exclude people who were resident but not born here.

The European Cup (now the Champions' League) is a competition for club sides from the individual nations that make up UEFA.

Presumably if Gibraltar DID achieve nation status then they would be able to enter a club side (ie their national champions) into the competition.

And such a team could quite easily be comprised of 11 Brazilians (or Shetlanders, or Gibraltarians...you get the picture)

Sure, Scottish club sides play every season against club sides from other nations in Europe, but no football fan would ever refer to these as international fixtures.

On the other hand, I agree that a national football team should be composed of players born in that country. The fact that the Shetland football team was composed totally of Shetland born athletes was purely co-incidental. They were competing internationally not competing as a national team.

While it would a great acheivement for shetland to get International football status I think it is nothing more that a dream, The level of cost and commitment needed is beyond what the SFA or the players are able to give at the moment. I think as has been mentioned previously that our best hope of progressing the standard of fooball in shetland is through entering competitions South, this is not as easy as some would like but it is the responsiblilty of the association to push the Scottish Amatuer Football Association and the Scottish Football Association to make this happen.

• 3 months later...

JVRTENNENTS Wrote:

Most ridiculous thing I`ve heard since Brian Nugent came up with the idea of scotland playing faroe in shetland. Shetland is part of scotland end of story!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_national_football_team

we have a national team....as wikipedia tells use.

were not part of UEFA or FIFA but we are part of the European NF-Board...this included smaller islands/ countries such as: The Basque Country, Greenland, Orkney, Gibraltar, N. Cypres, The canary islands etc... So It Is mixed with some national & some non-national, national teams. And were....one of them?

Also if Oceanian islands with populations of just over say 500 can pull together a national team, and caribbean teams can do the same then us with a team..but no manager, should be able to manage.

I mean even though we all know there probably bottom of the fifa rankings etc... they are still recognized. And after that, people would find out about the talent avaliable in shetland, and it would help promote football ALOT if people knew they could represent shetland Internationally

"Broadly-speaking, there are three categories of Non-FIFA national team:

Regional Associations

The first, and most common, are teams which represent the regional associations of established footballing nations. These oversee local football in their respective regions, and are part of a network of associations that contribute to the national association as a whole. A good example of this would be Jersey, whose members are also members of the English FA. The association, clubs, and people of these territories may be content to be a part of the larger network, yet may still enter representative teams into non-FIFA matches."

(I have only copied the 1st one as it is basically our situation. with us instead of jersey, and the Scottish instead of English FA)

I can reveal that Shetland are going to be playing 4 Highland League games on a tour next July. Deveronvale, Huntly, Keith and Fraserburgh. As for the morons who will criticise this as being substandard, the Highland League is a superior standard to the Islands games sides and all are professional players.