In The News - Comic Response

Guest Fetlar Writer

Guest Fetlar Writer

Not trying to be the "Police force"  for anyone's posts.  I just assumed, that as you claim to be an author, you might have understood the effect that words can have on people. 

"  Starting Tomorrow, It Will Be Legal to 3D Print A Gun. Yikes  "

The presentation alone makes it look like a "fact" to anyone who does not keep up with the latest news or just "speed reads" various posts.

Actually. it IS a fact Colin, but I will come to that.

So you want me to hold people's hands. I posted in National and International news, which, as far as I know, is not censored for such articles. The article, on this occasion didn't have a link attached from the beginning. To sooth your worries for others I shall make sure it is not forgotten again. But, the title, is the title for the piece of news I drew people's attention to, and my comic reply to it just for fun. I do not feel the need to censor it.

If people speed read, that's not my problem. In this country, I don't know if you know Colin, we don't allow guns for personal use, so posting the article on the Shetlink website where, presumably, Shetland, UK people visit (otherwise they could go to other forums for their country) would not injure to hear news from other parts of the world.

I suspect, more than likely, that it's typical of what happens on these sites where a few people 'govern' what is posted and what is said.

You could also have simply said to me, rather than being condescending, you forgot the link to the news. This meant that a poor person 'skimming or 'speed reading' the post wouldn't have to do more work, like clicking on the link to my comic to find out the original news article.

I'm not interested in being policed by people, there's far too much of that going on, and in the future, we might have to put up with far worse than a 'frightening' headline. Common sense should reign among adults who come to read posts on Shetlink. And by the way George, the title heading was just grabbed from the title as it is written on the post, the use of capital letters is THEIR use, and one of amusement for me too, but I guess I have to again 'hand hold' for the masses and make sure that I make it palatable for the poor readers.

Oh, and by the way Colin, you said:

"Anyway, a US judge has blocked the plans owners from uploading the details/plans/code."

is now incorrect. Read THIS  

Judge's order backfires as activists rush to share 3D gun designs

and this post is interesting HERE

A gun advocate who published blueprints for 3D-printed firearms says he's taking inspiration from the armies that defeated Hitler

And I'll end with this post: HERE

"The controversial issue of printing 3D guns and distributing their schematics online first emerged during the Obama administration, which had successfully barred the practice. But the ruling was reviewed in June 2018, with the ban being lifted."

Oops, look at that, i just copied and pasted a title from the post, formattin'  'an all (bad Avalina) tut tut. I should know better, being an author 'an all...and with such a great responsibility to my audience...

Edited by Fetlar Writer

Guest Fetlar Writer

*amendment*

"...we don't allow guns for personal use..." - I meant hand guns; one's the ladies can carry in their handbags... etc

Edited by Fetlar Writer

Guest Fetlar Writer

You asked for feedback in another thread, I'd say you're getting it.  You might also care to consider your use of "Defense" and "Defence", hardly consistent.

"If people speed read, that's not my problem. In this country, I don't know if you know Colin, ..."

Yes, I do know Colin. ;-)

Yes, the other website is different from my author website, so to say 'you're getting it' is confused between the two posts. I didn't ask for feedback on my comic, I asked for feedback on my news site. Learn to read.

I also didn't feel the need to mention or defend my other post, but as I can see that people like you, and Colin and George have nothing better to do than be petty men that enjoy 'nitpicking' then I have to make the distinction here. 

The attitude of the three of you is a shame, but to be honest, somewhat sadly expected on Shetlink, and it makes what people say about it true, and why less people frequent it. It is your attitudes that makes Britain less, make Britain a place where people don't feel they want to talk openly; and when that happens, something is lost. 

The use of 'defence' and 'defense' will depend - USA or English - it changes frequently - those who understand international news would not be so picky.

Yes, 'you know Colin', but as what I said was addressed to him, the context is sound. Your added wink does not make the obvious 'attack'  on me any more pleasant. So, I say to all of you who have criticised my posts, if you don't like what I post, then don't look at them! 

It seems to me, that people like you enjoy tearing people down at the earliest opportunity, I have read your replies and others like you in various posts; I ask the question, what do you offer on Shetlink that is constructive without the horrible taint of nastiness attached. I have experienced a lot of personal attacks while living here, and I have to say, should I ever leave Shetland, that your attitude and the attitude of others will add more grist to the mill of my experience here.

I have nothing more to say to such petty, small-minded, loudmouthed men.

Edited by Fetlar Writer

@Fetlar Writer

I'll reply to your comments here.

Most international websites are consistent; if they are based in the UK then they use English spellings, if they are based in the USA then likewise, they use American spellings.  What they don't do is use both of them as section/web page headings on the same website.  You don't see the BBC when reporting on international matters suddenly start spelling 'colour' as 'color'.

It is a shame that you are viewing constructive criticism as a personal attack.  It was a light hearted joke as opposed to being a total grammar nazi and suggesting you use a grammar/spellcheck in future like most professionals do (but they you'll probably view that as being passive aggressive), plus commenting upon other posts myself and other folks have commented upon in the past, some of which, I hasten to add, you've liked!  By the way, I'm not a bloke, I'm female.

I wish you all the best for the future.

Guest Fetlar Writer

@Fetlar Writer

I'll reply to your comments here.

Most international websites are consistent; if they are based in the UK then they use English spellings, if they are based in the USA then likewise, they use American spellings.  What they don't do is use both of them as section/web page headings on the same website.  You don't see the BBC when reporting on international matters suddenly start spelling 'colour' as 'color'.

It is a shame that you are viewing constructive criticism as a personal attack.  It was a light hearted joke as opposed to being a total grammar nazi and suggesting you use a grammar/spellcheck in future like most professionals do (but they you'll probably view that as being passive aggressive), plus commenting upon other posts myself and other folks have commented upon in the past, some of which, I hasten to add, you've liked!  By the way, I'm not a bloke, I'm female.

I wish you all the best for the future.

I wasn't going to carry on, but in this I will. The website I asked for comment from was a close friend's - not mine, but here's what they had to say about your comment.

"With regard to using the 'ce' or 'se' spelling, there is no such thing as United States Department of Defence (with a ce) which is a British spelling, it is nothing to do with grammar, it is referring to a named entity - which is basically American - the site you are talking about is a 'global site' and in fact, the majority of its readers are American, therefore, it tends to lean to American, and at times, because specific UK references are included, it actually goes to the 'ce' spelling, and just as a point of interest, the defence (se) is now the globally prevalent, and had been since 1910."

"What they don't do is use both of them as section/web page headings on the same website" - your quote.

"The different headings depend on whether they come from American sources or British feeds, they are posts from different sources." 

-----------------------------------------

A lighthearted joke, poppycock - many of you 'seasoned' forum users have nothing better to do than snipe from the wings and you know it! Yes, I have liked some posts in the past, but mainly seen some pretty hard attacks where other members of the forum have complained about the negativeness. When I felt more robust, I started posting, but I stand by what I say, it's why 'turdlink' forum is not liked by so many on Shetland, you just pick, pick away, until you break someone's will to carry on. Well, if that's what you people enjoy doing, then that's a very sad life indeed. Time to leave. Again.

Edited by Fetlar Writer

@Fetlar Writer

It is a shame that you are viewing constructive criticism as a personal attack.

It wasn't constructive it was precisely the opposite, destructive. An example of constructive would be when a poster introduces refreshing new topics which they feel others may find interesting or amusing to an internet forum. An example of destructive is when trolls come along and criticise their effort until they give up and leave.

Trolling is not constructive and it is not legitimate debate, it is trolling. Thats something you and your hypocrite mate Colin don't seem to understand.