In The News - Comic Response

Guest Fetlar Writer

So be aware of how your posts impact other people's feelings, the quality of discussion, and the inclusivity of the forums.

So, basically, 'Don't upset the snowflakes, regardless of the cost'.

Fair enough, but to that there's a very obvious flip side - That unless the straight talking realists of this world, who cannot abide everything being smothered in cotton wool and sugar coated, only ever make entirely fake (and consequently worthless posts) they're unwelcome on the site. I'm at a loss to see how that is going to assist with debate quality and inclusivity, but hey ho.

Pleasing all of the people all of the time is generally accepted as the impossible, and pleasing some of the people some of the time a more realistic MO. That usually tends to be achieved by plying a middle ground where one end of the spectrum of belief and opinion are asked to wind it in a bit and the other end made aware that in a random crowd of adults things will happen and things will be said that may be outwith their comfort zone, and to be prepared for it.

Generally IMHO Shetlink has kept to that middle ground quite well ove rthe years, however, on the strength of the quoted material, I'm far from confident the same will be able to be said going forward.

Edited by Ghostrider

I love this website but i dread posting anything tbh just incase i get a sarcastic comment in return. I hardly even look at the forums these days because its the usual names commenting the usual drivel. 

Well, you (and most others) have a "shields up" username that offers some protection from criticisms, although I would accept that some of these will get through and cause offense. 

Best I can offer is to make your posts as clear and understandable as you are able, don't get "personal", don't get "confrontational", walk away from people who want to "fight", and most importantly, "stand your ground" if you are right(?).

It's a virtual world in here and, ultimately, sarcastic comments and anything else that comes your way might cause a little mental anguish but, they cannot physically hurt you.  Take the "hit" and move on.

"The reality is that a guest in our "living room" has felt compelled to leave because of how they have been made to feel by other guests."

I'm probably going to regret this but;

I said earlier that it was never my intention to cause offence but, from my perspective the reality is that the "guest" was a little to hasty in making an exit and, possibly, a little to "fragile" to accept posts in the manner in which they were intended.  If that was an example of "artistic temperament" then there is little for us "normal" people.

It time the Grumpy Gang learned how to stop being so nippy. They can’t seem to have an argument without resorting to petty comments, such as whinging about minor grammatical errors. After all English is an alien language to some of them (apparently)

While a few of their posts are clever, their inability to show any compassion or empathy to other people is verging on the psychopathic. Must have the last word with some conversation killer.

I had hoped, but, to quote the dear departed shetlandpete, alas....

"The reality is that a guest in our "living room" has felt compelled to leave because of how they have been made to feel by other guests."

I'm probably going to regret this but;

I said earlier that it was never my intention to cause offence but, from my perspective the reality is that the "guest" was a little to hasty in making an exit and, possibly, a little to "fragile" to accept posts in the manner in which they were intended.  If that was an example of "artistic temperament" then there is little for us "normal" people.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a classic example of victim blaming. Every single word carefully scripted to excuse the behaviour that led to this situation and deflect the blame onto the victim. EVERY. SINGLE. WORD. Read it again and think about that for a minute.

Colin you claim you never intended to cause offence but regardless of that you did. If you are sincere in your claim you will apologise to Fetlar Writer and you will regain some respect, not just from me, but I expect also from most other readers. If you are insincere in your claim you will not apologise. Your actions not your words will display your true character.

Dear Lord, somebody, please, anybody that isn't me, explain it to George.

I did mention both grammar and illiteracy but it's a little too much for the uneducated amongst us.

I will never be back. I won't miss it as the stupid tend to grind it all down.

Before this thread descends in to any greater ridiculousness, can we have a reality check.

The only 'people' on this site or anywhere on the web are those you know personally in the flesh, anyone else, especially those posting 'anonymously' from behind a pseudonym, you only 'know' based on what little they have chosen to reveal of true selves, or how they chose to 'play' the fictional character they have created for their pseudonym.

Make whatever judgement calls you like, but I'm certainly not about to believe anything or take anything seriously based on such scant, potentially highly unreliable and unverifiable info.

Edited by Ghostrider