North boat do we need a larger boat

During the summer Islanders have a hard time booking a passage with cabin at short notice if there was a family crisis. Can a larger capacity boat dock in lerwick, hopefully Nigg Bay can accommodate a larger boat when finished. Failing that can one boat speed up and operate day an night crossings. Get another boat for the summer months. I don’t know but something has to be done we are like prisoners during holiday season. Your thoughts please.

Cheers

I was at a series of meetings about the boat service prior to the new contract being awarded where various suggestions were made to Scottish Government officials about improving capacity. And it is not passengers who have a problem, freight sometimes get away from Shetland when it should.

And the Scottish Government took not one bit of notice when the time came for renewal.

As I remember it, P & O made a much better job of it and both the St Clair and  St Sunniva were a fine boats to travel on. Northlink Ferries has not provided the same service, but they have charged markedly more for the journey. Is there anything to justify this?

I think the problem has become worse since the demise of the Streamline Freight boats so now everything has to go on the Northlink ones.  Yes, they have a dedicated freight boat but whenever I travel on the passenger boat it is mostly chock-full of lorries nose to tail lining the decks.  There is no room for passengers.  We seem to be the bit Northlink wants to ignore, fleece or told to "lump it".

It's the freight charges that keep the ferry service viable.with government assistance.

A passenger/car only ferry might  pay at peak season times but would not pay its way most of the time and would also have to be heavily subsidised

This is the way the ferries have always been and if we want bigger boats we will have to commute to somewhere else , Aberdeen harbour as it is cannot take a bigger boat.

Possibly now that the oil boom is past and there is not the same money about ,many will not have the funds to travel so much and this will ease the congestion. 

For those of us who can remember, the North of Scotland Orkney and Shetland Shipping Co boats and the 2nd class accommodation,North Link is paradise in comparison.and has always been expensive.

Unless the government decides to plough more money into the service , we are stuck with what we got. Cannot see anyone wanting to pay bigger fares to fund a better service.