Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

I don't think that the people in that SN article are soley worried about wide loads and disturbance in the construction phase. I think they are worried about living, in perpetuity, inside a windfarm or be it in close proximity, they have a lot to lose... and the people who should be helping their case can only see the money which makes it all too easy for them to ignore or turn a blind eye to their fate. As I said before, they are not the only people in this predicament, there are many more.

ok fair enough for houses like the halfway house and such that are close in shoud be offered the chance to sell up. it can be turned into socia housing for the foks not bothered by the turbines.

for those that have never been near a large scale farm please do. the sound is not as bad or as loud as some have been making out. its not as bad as they are saying.

[edit] I'm also more than a bit concerned that we are already not doing a great job as a community given that this windfarm, years before being built, seems to be doing a good job at polarising opinion and causing such grief to many folk.

Now THAT we can agree on. It is very disappointing (and immature) how personal the issue has become. It's much more important than that.

I don't think that the people in that SN article are soley worried about wide loads and disturbance in the construction phase. I think they are worried about living, in perpetuity, inside a windfarm or be it in close proximity, they have a lot to lose... and the people who should be helping their case can only see the money which makes it all too easy for them to ignore or turn a blind eye to their fate. As I said before, they are not the only people in this predicament, there are many more.

ok fair enough for houses like the halfway house and such that are close in shoud be offered the chance to sell up. it can be turned into socia housing for the foks not bothered by the turbines.

for those that have never been near a large scale farm please do. the sound is not as bad or as loud as some have been making out. its not as bad as they are saying.

Sadly, Viking Energy have said that there would be no help of this kind... from the same SN article...

co-ordinator Allan Wishart was asked if there would be compensation, his blunt reply was "No".

luckily he's not going to be there after next week. you always pay compo to folks disturbed or effected by developements. the trust just need to get more proffesional about how it runs things. it may be better to hire a manager in to run this and then the trust can step back and oversee it. clearly our council members are not the greatest in dealing with big projects. hence the joke over trying to rush the next meeting.

I'd like to think that you are right in that the way VE relate to the public will improve by the departure of one individual, but I suspect it is much more deep rooted. I can see why compensation would be a difficult issue. It reminds me of the Braer and claims for re-roofing v distance from the tanker v time since disaster. Where would the line be drawn with turbines. It would be so much easier if there was a policy (even local) on separation distance that had to be observed.

It would certainly help in the future, from the view of public perception, if the trust is able to distance itself form the developer and make decisions that are much more considerate of community concerns. How much damage has been done already though?

As with any compensation package, folk will try it on, you only have to look at the claims made by folk in the USA regarding BP. Folk will sell themselves and future folk for a few pounds. There needs to be a right package including relocation. The possibility of devaluation of property may not be entertained.

no i disagree if very close they will be entitled to make up for there loss. however i wonder if the people that now have the view of the new cinima/artsy place got anything.

now if i had to have the choice a turbine about a km away or that steel box i would chose the turbine anyday.

but as most are near the 2 km border then no they should not get anything. an independant person woud be needed to judge each case. still not a massive bil even if they had to buy up a few dozen houses.

no i disagree if very close they will be entitled to make up for there loss. however i wonder if the people that now have the view of the new cinima/artsy place got anything.

now if i had to have the choice a turbine about a km away or that steel box i would chose the turbine anyday.

but as most are near the 2 km border then no they should not get anything. an independant person woud be needed to judge each case. still not a massive bil even if they had to buy up a few dozen houses.

And at what cost to the poor souls who perhaps have lived there all their lives? To some, a house is more than mere bricks and mortar, but is a home!

Things change, poor souls? That is funny, sentimental. Folk will take the money, seen it here and seen documents to show. If offered twice the fair valuation, they will sell up.

There may be the odd ones who will not move, but if all reasonable steps have been made then it will be on their laps.

No comments about the wave stations though. I suppose the blinkers are still on.

It is future souls we need to cater for, with cuts to what Shetland has held dear and has took for granted, they will be left with nothing.

Everything proposed as an alternative to fund future Shetland is in many years to come. Fishing (which will need independence to opt from EU controls) wave, which will bring money to the tax man, tidal, which comes with problems more.

Things change, poor souls? That is funny, sentimental. Folk will take the money, seen it here and seen documents to show. If offered twice the fair valuation, they will sell up.

There may be the odd ones who will not move, but if all reasonable steps have been made then it will be on their laps.

No comments about the wave stations though. I suppose the blinkers are still on.

It is future souls we need to cater for, with cuts to what Shetland has held dear and has took for granted, they will be left with nothing.

Everything proposed as an alternative to fund future Shetland is in many years to come. Fishing (which will need independence to opt from EU controls) wave, which will bring money to the tax man, tidal, which comes with problems more.

Yeah go on then, SP, shall we have it your way? Let's buy everyone off and turn all of Shetland, every single blooming inch of it, into one massive windfarm. Hell, some would even argue it is 'offshore' because it is out of sight of those lovely peeps on the Mainland. :evil:

is there not an alternative to buying people out - a disturbance payment to those living within 2km. Not unlike the SVT disturbance payment, but only to the properties concerned. Relate it to the output of the wind farm.

just a suggestion

Amusing how we still have supporters harping back to that crappy ST poll which was absolute meaningless garbage when the number of objections sent to the ECU was 2772 against support of 1109 so 71% against.

What we should have had was for every resident within a five mile radius asked of their opinion and to hell with anyone else.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy