Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy

trout

SP, re grazing committees - it may or may not be the case that their constitution or whatever states that monies paid to the committee stays within their coffers.

That is great, it means they will all benefit. Maybe or maybe not in their whatevers.

The link to the website is www.crofting.scotland.gov.uk

SP, re grazing committees - it may or may not be the case that their constitution or whatever states that monies paid to the committee stays within their coffers.

That is great, it means they will all benefit. Maybe or maybe not in their whatevers.

The link to the website is www.crofting.scotland.gov.uk

^ So SP, are you saying that every croft affected by VE is registered with The Crofting Commission? They don't have to be registered with them. Some may well have rights to common grazings.

I'm advised that a grazing committee has two choices: they can either retain the monies in their own funds or they can distribute it among the relevant crofters (but they are under no obligation to do that). If they decide to retain in the committee's funds then when and if they spend it, it is the choice of the committee and if they choose to spend it, they can only spend it on repairs, maintenance or improvements to the common grazing itself. They don't have the authority to spend it on people's crofts. Now why then would they want to spend the money on repairs/maintenance if VE reckon they are already doing it? You could theoretically end up with a situation where the committee sits on the money for a long time before the crofters see any benefit.

Whatever happens, you still have the potential for some crofters to get extremely rich and no longer work the land with their neighbours struggling to make ends meet.

Edit: so what happens if a crofter uses the common grazing, is against VE? So, they just have to put up with it and lose their common grazing? What are the implications of this? Take out of the equation the cheques; think of the long term effect on Shetland culture/way of life - do you want to see crofts disappear through a precedent like this being set?

Every Shetlander is a 'shareholder' of the Shetland Charitable Trust - yet how the money is distributed is decided by a small committee. So, we're all rich because of the existence of SCT, are we?

Ask one.

second guessing folk is very difficult.

I am sure, as a good bunch of folk they are, they will work it out.

We have a similar problem, a waste plant has been polluting the air for a while. When they do, the parish gets part of the fine, so far, a lump sum of £100,000. Not bad for the parish, alas we can smell the pollution 3 miles away. Hmm, unfair? I blame the people who negotiated that part of the deal.

So, the answer, to petition the parish to spend the monies on improving universal facilities.

Goes on all the time, so, not new.

unlink you really do talk drivel at times. of course the north pennines are not shetland however they are higher steeper and wetter. its not changing drainage its restoring it to what it was before man messed with it.

http://www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/environment/moorland/mire-project

ive not ignored the whimbrel we have a pair on our hill land at the moment. the re wetting and restoration of many sq miles of hillside will be a major benifit to them. without it they will not thrive as well.

hoodies need to be controlled as they raid the whimbrels nests. and believe me they really do attack sick or dead sheep and lambs. bronxies and great blackbacked gulls are also a problem but not to the same extent.

you really need some experiance of what your spouting on unlink. http://www.peatlands.org.uk/project/moors-future-phase-1-bleaklow-restoration

for pity sake does the north pennines suffer the same problems of course it does. but as you come from lincolnshire via london i guess you don't know what real hill country is.

simple equation no turbines = no peat restoration/ re wetting=no whimbrels

simples really

the crofters are not losing there common grazing rights. the sheep will be fine around the turbines as said months ago.

As long as we make money it should be built, nothing else should be a factor.

very true.

So, if nothing else should be a factor, I take it the next time a project comes along that would repossess your home and a load more in the area, you'd be in favour of it? Don't say it ain't happening with Viking; wait until you see the detailed plans for the converter station and where all the peripherals that go with it will go.

Edit: "Nothing else should be a factor" - go the whole hog, build it on the flight path. Why bother restoring the peat; hell, it's only meant to be "saving the planet" by building it, isn't it?

Scared now.

This second thread started, 2% of folk seemed to have vanished.

My support for VE .....bat global warming.

31% [ 7 ]

I would support VE .. make a loss.

0% [ 0 ]

I would support VE only .... make a profit.

4% [ 1 ]

I could never support ........ circumstances.

59% [ 13 ]

I really ........... VE.

4% [ 1 ]

Ohhh, now 3% are missing.

It won't happen. Fart gas, that is what that is. Oooh, it has pushed up bills (about 2 pence a day), (www.businessgreen.com) while fuel suppliers added on average £120 per household in August 2011. I am not so sure about the £80 figure quoted. What it is as well is an incentive to cut down on the waste. I wonder how many folk still leave things on standby, modems left on, phone chargers plugged in.

Oooh, the wind does not blow all the time, these guys are quick are they not. Alas, National Grid. It is only a small part of the jigsaw, folk seem to only want to see it as that.

It is also reported that offshore turbine installation may become competitive by 2020 as well. LINK

Though my thoughts have been that there will need to be a cut as costs go down, probably by about 12% over the next few years as reported, I feel this will be much more if the average is taken. Though, the cost to develop wave and tidal are still rising, without the additional monies, they may loose backing. As wind generation is the cheapest way to get the all important interconnections require, despite the crabs on the sea floor nipping it.

A YouGov poll suggests that 56% of the public want more wind and only 19% dead against it, also 60% think the GOV has the right policies.

We have to keep in mind that the electricity bills will not go down, the money will be spent elsewhere.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02132/wind-farms_2132481c.jpg

Imagine the flicker from these, now imagine them when it is winter and the sun is lower.

Slightly spoils the sea view, only if you are looking outwards, best stay looking inwards. :wink:

Walney 2 are 150 Metre turbines.

Here is the bumf.... BUMF

This success story is partnered by SSE, so, well done to them.

If you look at the bumf, please note how much of the sea bed is taken up by these turbines, as we know, we have been told it may be too windy to build them, imagine building them with the sea state at its worse. Dang too, wires are needed as well, dem crabs will be busy.

Although it is a good few miles from my flat, there are certain points not to far from here where they are visible.

I do find it odd, that the GOV want to cut the subsidies to 0. Some businesses have only been able to survive because of them. Alas, canon fodder for a greater GB PLC. Partnered with Serco Islands Consortium. :wink:

yeah right and they are still going to be in power by then. may not matter anyway we may not be anything to do with England by then. now find a telegraph article that says a separate Scotland will do the same.

The generators have contracts think of the compo that they would have to pay. or putting another SPIN on it that power is going to be that expensive by then that they wont need it. they cut the feed in tariff for solar and they are still being built.

As long as we make money it should be built, nothing else should be a factor.

very true.

So, if nothing else should be a factor, I take it the next time a project comes along that would repossess your home and a load more in the area, you'd be in favour of it? Don't say it ain't happening with Viking; wait until you see the detailed plans for the converter station and where all the peripherals that go with it will go.

Edit: "Nothing else should be a factor" - go the whole hog, build it on the flight path. Why bother restoring the peat; hell, it's only meant to be "saving the planet" by building it, isn't it?

Sorry I own my house outright so it can not be repossed. When did Viking Energy get in to league with banks and plan to reposses homes? Last i heard it was banks that did that on their own if you did not pay your morgage? Hence if you have no morgage and own your home it cannot be repossed.

• admin changed the title to Shetland windfarm - Viking Energy