Climate Change & Global Warming

Atomic

How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How important is Global Warming to you in the Grand Scheme of Things?

• Give me a break, I've enough on my plate
    • I suppose there's something in it, but it's for the Politicians/Corporations/Those in power to sort out
    • Yes I think it is important and I try to do my bit.
    • If we don't stop it, the Planet dies in a few years, it's as simple as that.
    • I think it is all hype and not half as bad as they make out
    • I don't know what to think

This poll is closed to new votes

A blip in December - so that will be weather, then?

And lots of it!

Met Office predicts it will be the coldest December for a century

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1341822/Tiptoeing-snow-f-f-frozen-pheasant-Met-Office-predicts-coldest-December-century.html

Seemed to take the Met Office a while to figure that one out for a boxing day forecast.

Maybe it took this long for them to scrape together the cash to subscribe a Piers Corbyn forecast.

Here he is putting out on November the 30th:

Met Office predicts it will be the coldest December for a century

Ice age coming to a hemisphere near you?

This theory is not an abstract threat but rather a very real one grounded in historical observations. The last solar

Grand Minima was the Maunder Minimum (1645-1715 AD). During the 30-year period from 1672-1699 AD, there

were less than 50 sunspots detected, whereas during the past century over the same period between 40,000-50,000

sunspots normally would appear. The Maunder Minimum corresponded to the depths of the Little Ice Age. Before

that was the Spörer Minimum (about 1420 to 1570 A.D.). That Grand Minima was also noted for bone-chilling

cold temperatures

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/StateChange.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Ice age coming to a hemisphere near you?

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/StateChange.pdf

I've read the report linked to above, and it's, frankly, complete rubbish.

Firstly, it completely misses the point that the LIA was not only caused by lack of sunspots, there are several other factors which also contributed. See here

Secondly, the idea that cosmic rays contribute to climate is unproven, and any correlation between cosmic rays and temperature broke down 30 years ago. More here.

Edit: The Laschamp Anomaly (approximately 40,000 years ago) saw a massive increase in cosmic rays due to a drop in the Earths magnetic field, yet there was no corresponding change in climate. More here.

Thirdly, It references the Oregon Petition (OISM) as evidence that AGW is rubbish. This is probably the most comprehensively debunked piece of denier propaganda there is.

According to figures from the US Department of Education Digest of Education Statistics: 2008, 10.6 million science graduates have gained qualifications consistent with the OISM polling criteria since the 1970-71 school year. 32,000 out of 10 million is not a very compelling figure, but a tiny minority - approximately 0.3 per cent.

See here.

Seriously, crofter, if you are going to post stuff like this, please take a look at this page on the skeptical science website and check whether what you're posting hasn't already been debunked a thousand times. It would be nice to actually take more than 5 seconds to debunk this stuff for a change. Post something that's actually challenging. :wink:

Seriously, crofter, ...... Post something that's actually challenging. :wink:

OK, here's a challenge for you -

post some evidence that co2 is causing global warming, because as far as I see, the idea that AGW is happening is unproven.

Secondly, the idea that cosmic rays contribute to climate is unproven,

Are you serious? cosmic rays might NOT have an effect? Really? 8)

Guest Anonymous

the combined effect of the universe has no effect on planet earth yet you say that we are affecting the planet AT.

just because the AGW lot say it isn't so does not mean that it isn't so

• 2 weeks later...