Councillors - Elections & Golden Goodbyes

Fjool

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anything is possible.

if he/she showed the right talents then why not.

Indeed why not.

If someone had the savvy and the understanding of Shetland's idiosyncrasies of local government and could hold their head high while discussing and challenging it's inner mechanisms - and being challenged over them - then why not indeed?!

if he/she showed the right talents then why not.

Indeed why not.

I completely agree. The injection of some enthusiastic 'new blood' could certainly be a step back from the apathy that seems to be felt towards the status quo

EDIT: I've edited the name of the thread to include council elections too

I to am on the verge of slinging my name into election hat, I doubt if I'll ever see 21 again but still a lot younger than most of incumbents. Lots of interest in this area so hopefully will encourage people to use the opportunity to get their views accross to the general public.

I am however quite worried by the apparent lack of knowledge by many as to the new wards and to the new and overly complex voting system.

I would encourage anyone else who has the urge to put there name forward.

Nominations have to be in by 4pm on 11th, papers can be collected from 4 Market St, if in town, or phone legal and admin and ask them to post them out to you.

All advice gratefully received :D

...new and overly complex voting system.

It's the fourth horseman of the bureaucalypse. To go with 'triplicate paper-work', 'operator vocalising closed-circuit television', and 'sprawling, insecure government-wide ID database.'

All advice gratefully received :D

It doesn't count as advice, but I do wish you the best. Hats off to anyone standing.

The Council badly needs some young blood in it. Bigdandancingman and Marlin13, if you feel you can give it a go, then go for it.

These elections are going to be the biggest shake up we've seen in a long time, with a number of sitting Councillors standing down and a new system of voting. Even if you dont succeed this time, don't let that put you off trying again.

I wouldn't worry that some of your opponents are your 'bosses'. As long as you put yourself forward in a positive way, they should be proud of what you're doing. If you work for the Council, I believe you have to resign your post if elected, but I imagine you already know that.