Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Okay, I admit I am perhaps being a tad naive here and have no idea regarding what the attendances will be like for Screenplay but given there are two cinemas, would it not have been possible to have the general releases (Say at least Batman or Ted) to be shown alongside Screenplay?

i will like it, hopefully...., when they start showing things that a cinema is ment too...films! thats what we are all waiting for! not screen play and things being moved about all over the shop

stick on a load of films that are showing in the cinema in aberdeen and let the public decide

im all for them showing other things but the bread and butter of the cinema is ment to be the regular films so come on lets see it!

Looking at the programme, both screens are being used most of the time.

The itinerary for screenplay will have been being looked at and planned ages ago. I suspect it would take a huge amount of work to change it, and how would they decide what gets missed out?

I think they have done the sensible thing, after all ten days isn't long to wait when we haven't had a cinema for over 20 years! And there are some great films on for screenplay, some of which are free.

Screenplay is films!

A cinema should be about more than just blockbusters. Last years screenplay was better attended than many 'normal' film showings I was at. Popular doesn't necessarily mean better.

Quite right. Screenplay is a celebration of film in all it's forms, as well as local talent. It's something that should be celebrated.

A cinema should be about more than just blockbusters. Last years screenplay was better attended than many 'normal' film showings I was at. Popular doesn't necessarily mean better.

Your right that the cinema should just have blockbusters but something that's 'popular' will be... err... popular.

All the arty stuff has it's place but surely they could've shown some popular stuff too that would've enticed a pile of folk through the door early on?

To suggest screenplay is about 'arty' implies that you haven't looked at the film listings for Screenplay. It's about quality, in whichever form that comes.

The big name films are coming. Screenplay is just ten days long. And will get a lot of people through the doors. You should have seen the poor woman on the desk at Islesburgh on Saturday - she was rushed of her feet selling tickets to Screenplay and Wordplay.

Only one popular film?

Maybe you are very young. Chariots of Fire and Local Hero are both very popular films. Not recent, admittedly, but very popular.

And just because a film isn't so well known, that doesn't automatically qualify it as 'arty'.

Not recent!! not even this Century :roll:

I'd guess these are the cinema equivalent of SIBC's free tracks

Maybe the arts trust are hoping to profit from people watching films that are really cheap to hire :wink:

No, no, I looked. Only one popular film to be seen and it's now sold out... :(

I just don't see why they had to run the screenplay FIRST!?

Erm, maybe because Screenplay is always this time of year? Think of the amount of planning and co-ordinating that goes into it. Both the screens will be used for Screenplay to show a good variety of different films.

I for one am really looking forward to finally getting a good selection of films up and not just always the big blockbusters.

Okay, so film festivals should only show films that are less than 13 years old. Got it.

I'm sure that the same people would still be moaning if Mareel had had a couple of weeks of new films before Screenplay started and interrupted the 'new films'

There's no pleasing some folk.