Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

I think so, yes. Have no idea about the museum.

if Batman is on general release during Week 30 (week nos. as examples) and Mareel don't start showing general release films until say Week 40, they should be able to show Week 40 films and Week 30 films .

If new films are being shown 10 weeks late i personallly will hold on untill week 20 and get a copy at home for £15 and i can keep it.

I dont think this will happen here though.

Fusion, I just gave the week numbers as an example re the current situation - in other words, general release films are out but we've no idea when Mareel plan to show them. I'm sure that once they've 'caught' up and we have the (coughs) 'hard opening', then films will be shown at the same time they are released elsewhere throughout the UK.

thats ok, i just added to your example. I feel the age of the films is very importaint, as i think since they come out on dvd faster now than they used to. Films need to be as new as they can manage, I don't think most folk would mind 2 or 3 weeks but there comes a tipping point that you might as well waite untill you can get the home verson.

Then again, older films back on the big screen for the first time in 10,20.30 years do have a following too.

^^ Suggestions have always been welcome, no reason for things to be any different now.

Off the top of my head they are a few in Shetland in this list acording to size (i dont have the propper sizes but just from memory and hearsay, but if someone cairs that much to argue the toss then get their meter tape out!)

according to size

Mareel 1

Museum

Garrison

Scalloway collage

Islesburgh room 16

mareel 2

I'd also add that mareel and the garrison are the only two that have theatre/cinema seats and not all are 'propper' cinema screen, then the new high school will have one too.

Remember very few of those have true cinematic sound capabilities, which is what really makes the difference.

Any big room with a blank wall can be a "screen" for other purposes.

Regarding when we will see films, as already said time and again, any film can be shown on the day of release, as we see this weekend with not only a premier, but a limited one at that, something only a few cinemas throughout the country are lucky enough to have.

We could start our own film club (with there help)- the oldies club! with retuns of well kent classics, and seeing them on the big screen again would be so good. Need to be a 5/10 year rule though and has been on general relese at the time, old blockbusters etc??? jaws, old bonds, classic mgm?

a lot of the cinemas south do a childrens classic club early on Saturday mornings which shows classic's childrens films.

Regarding when we will see films, as already said time and again, any film can be shown on the day of release, as we see this weekend with not only a premier, but a limited one at that, something only a few cinemas throughout the country are lucky enough to have.

Spinner, it's all well and good saying we have a premier but if this is a so-called community facility, then surely along with catering for the "lovies", Mareel should also be catering for what the majority want. Frankly, it would appear that the films (Say Batman and Ted) are what people want and a lot of folk, to be honest, couldn't give a stuff about the premier that many have never heard of and aren't interested in seeing it.

Yes, you can argue that Screenplay brings visitors to Shetland but they ain't the ones that Mareel/SA are going to be relying on for week in/week out support. Besides, unless somebody is on the mailing list for SA, how the hell are they going to know that this premier is showing? - They sure as hell aren't going to get the information from the Mareel website. Ah yes, the maze of SA website.

Come to think of it, how come the main gig promoter hasn't even got Mareel/Lerwick listed on their website yet? After all, they are advertising gigs into next year so regardless of soft opening or not, surely it should be on there - or are no gigs lined up yet via them?

Suggestions welcomed? Then how come they haven't advertised any stakeholders meetings since God knows when so people could go along and put ideas forward?

^^ I certainly wouldn't say Screenplay was for "Luvvies" - geeks maybe (who HASN'T been waiting o see the People vs George Lucas! :) ) but most of the content is either mainstream related to whoever is visiting this year or locally produced or with local links.

What many seem to be forgetting is that it is nothing more than a coincidence that Screenplay is on the first weekend Mareels cinemas are open. Screenplay has been planned for almost a year, its not like its some kind of surprise!

As for knowing whats on, well why not have a look at the Screenplay programme, or in the paper, or whatever, I can't remember where I noticed it first but its not like its hidden away, and I am not on any sort of mailing list if indeed there is one.

And regarding suggestions, SA have been inviting these for years since regular screenings began at the Garrison, again it hardly needs advertised, if you wanna suggest something just do so like you would anywhere else :)

(of course what actually shows is subject to release licensing etc which I am aware is a bit of a minefield for some material, as we saw with Blade Runner)

We could start our own film club (with there help)- the oldies club! with retuns of well kent classics, and seeing them on the big screen again would be so good. Need to be a 5/10 year rule though and has been on general relese at the time, old blockbusters etc??? jaws, old bonds, classic mgm?.

Crack at! Nothing better that gathering for a natter before and/or after too with like minded peoples :)

Doesn't just have to be "oldies" who come to see things either, there is a couple of generations at least now in Shetland who have only got to see many classic films on TV or a rare trip south.

There is already Film Wednesdays which features generally older films, but that would have been restricted by the garrisons availability.

It's seeing an older film in a proper cinema that really opens your eyes and ears to the cinema experience, both individually and socially.

^^ Suggestions have always been welcome, no reason for things to be any different now.

Off the top of my head they are a few in Shetland in this list acording to size (i dont have the propper sizes but just from memory and hearsay, but if someone cairs that much to argue the toss then get their meter tape out!)

according to size

Mareel 1

Museum

Garrison

Scalloway collage

Islesburgh room 16

mareel 2

I'd also add that mareel and the garrison are the only two that have theatre/cinema seats and not all are 'propper' cinema screen, then the new high school will have one too.

Remember very few of those have true cinematic sound capabilities, which is what really makes the difference.

Any big room with a blank wall can be a "screen" for other purposes.

If you look back the question was asked - how many screens are in Shetland? if your asking how many screens in Shetland have cinematic sound, then thats just down to the Garrison and Mareel i think.

but then if you ask how many 'screens' with 3D and cinema sound then thats a diffrent question I for one have all 3 in my home! 3D blue ray players and a masive 3d tv is availavle for us all to have in our homes now.

Only 1 3D 'cinema screen/projector ' in Shetland and thats in Mareel,

Fusion, re cinema club. Great idea, but not everyone would necessarily want to be a member of a film club but would like to see oldies and other films. Perhaps Mareel management might consider a short questionnaire (postcard size?) with say 10 film titles and the public could put them in a box on the way out at reception/wherever then say a month later, the 'winning film' was shown.

Just a thought.

"If you look back the question was asked - how many screens are in Shetland? if your asking how many screens in Shetland have cinematic sound, then thats just down to the Garrison and Mareel i think. "

Just a point of accuracy - the museum also has full digital surround sound capabilities (installed by the same company who did Mareel!!)

^^

And regarding suggestions, SA have been inviting these for years since regular screenings began at the Garrison, again it hardly needs advertised, if you wanna suggest something just do so like you would anywhere else :)

we have, they did, and it was packed

Doesn't just have to be "oldies" who come to see things either, there is a couple of generations at least now in Shetland who have only got to see many classic films on TV or a rare trip south.

There is already Film Wednesdays which features generally older films, but that would have been restricted by the garrisons availability.

It's seeing an older film in a proper cinema that really opens your eyes and ears to the cinema experience, both individually and socially.

It wasn't Sa that started showing films in the Garrison, they just took over when they were formed.

The film Wednesdays did do some classics and i went to them all, but also went down the shetland film club road - passed on them.

The reference to oldies was the age of the film not the people going to them :lol:

"If you look back the question was asked - how many screens are in Shetland? if your asking how many screens in Shetland have cinematic sound, then thats just down to the Garrison and Mareel i think. "

Just a point of accuracy - the museum also has full digital surround sound capabilities (installed by the same company who did Mareel!!)

Ta for that, I wasn't aware of that, the couple of events I have been to there was a small PA being used for some reason.

Just purely out of personal interest, I wonder what the difference was with the sound system at the Garrison. I am aware it was upgraded to cinema surround as we got the pleasure hearing the Who's "Rock Opera" Tommy the way it was meant to sound a year or two ago, but with many other films it sounded seriously flat, almost like a "speaker either side of the screen" stereo effect.