Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Just purely out of personal interest, I wonder what the difference was with the sound system at the Garrison. I am aware it was upgraded to cinema surround as we got the pleasure hearing the Who's "Rock Opera" Tommy the way it was meant to sound a year or two ago, but with many other films it sounded seriously flat, almost like a "speaker either side of the screen" stereo effect.

Perhaps Tommy blew the speakers up? :wink:

Fusion, re cinema club. Great idea, but not everyone would necessarily want to be a member of a film club but would like to see oldies and other films. Perhaps Mareel management might consider a short questionnaire (postcard size?) with say 10 film titles and the public could put them in a box on the way out at reception/wherever then say a month later, the 'winning film' was shown.

Just a thought.

excelent idea i'd not join a club either but would go to see older remastered films too.

i didnt know the museum had a right soundsystem, all they need is proper cinema chairs then maybe they and the mareel cinema could work closer together? Its all the same charity trust after all

It's going to be hard for them to get all the films here with just 1 main screen.

Hasnt it been good on here tonight with none of the extrem views rants from either sides? I think thats what it should be like all the time.

Just purely out of personal interest, I wonder what the difference was with the sound system at the Garrison. I am aware it was upgraded to cinema surround as we got the pleasure hearing the Who's "Rock Opera" Tommy the way it was meant to sound a year or two ago, but with many other films it sounded seriously flat, almost like a "speaker either side of the screen" stereo effect.

Perhaps Tommy blew the speakers up? :wink:

Garrison has dolby sound, i think its down to the films too, some films have an amasing sound tracks and some have very little.

ive seen films south that were rubish there but sounded amasing in the garrison and ive heard some flat ones here and south.

i remember watching phantom of the opra at the garrison and south and it sounded better in the garrison. id put the last 2 james bonds in the same bracket

@ Spinner

"Just purely out of personal interest, I wonder what the difference was with the sound system at the Garrison. I am aware it was upgraded to cinema surround as we got the pleasure hearing the Who's "Rock Opera" Tommy the way it was meant to sound a year or two ago, but with many other films it sounded seriously flat, almost like a "speaker either side of the screen" stereo effect."

The Who's Tommy wasn't the in-house system that was used. A full concert PA was installed for that Screenplay (and for that film in particular) and was run in 5:1 surround sound, BUT it was mixed live by an engineer for the showing (and the whole of that inaugral Screenplay). The soundtrack wasn't actually 5:1 but was quadraphonic, but the sound blew the roof off and Mark Kermode in particular was blown away with the quality.

As for the others, if you are talking about the film wednesday type of films or the other screenplay showings since, they are run from DVD through the digital projector and just into the left and right main front of house speakers (with the odd centre thrown in) as opposed to the old film weekend screenings which were 35mm print run through the projector and the dolby head through the in-house surround sound system.

Hope that helps.

Hasnt it been good on here tonight with none of the extrem views rants from either sides? I think thats what it should be like all the time.
Amen to that!

In my experience Shetland Arts have always been keen to hear folks suggestions and happy to anser folks questions, so it would be a good idea to get in touch with them before ranting here.

Here's the web version of the Screenplay/Wordplay programme - http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/launch.aspx?eid=ab42eeb9-935d-48b1-9ed4-aa5511dbed92 - I saw a papery one today so they're in circulation. Can't wait!

Amen to that!

In my experience Shetland Arts have always been keen to hear folks suggestions and happy to anser folks questions, so it would be a good idea to get in touch with them before ranting here.

Here's the web version of the Screenplay/Wordplay programme - http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/launch.aspx?eid=ab42eeb9-935d-48b1-9ed4-aa5511dbed92 - I saw a papery one today so they're in circulation. Can't wait!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - We ain't blooming ranting, we discussing it as we are blooming free to do. Never mind preaching that Shetland Arts have always been keen to hear folks' suggestions - if that was really the case, they'd still have had the Stakeholders' Meetings - THEY CHOSE NOT TO!

Besides, are you seriously suggesting that NO ONE from Shetland Arts reads this thread? Marvellous, let us all bombard their e-mail addresses with our ideas then, shall we? Na, let us put it on their Facebook page where it'll soon get deleted instead.

At least on here we can (attempt to) share ideas and thoughts and yeah, some of us will have constructive criticism and at other times, we'll have negative feedback and perish the thought, some good ideas might, just might, be actually discussed and taken up - after we've bounced them off each other on here.

Now whilst certain hardworking individuals within the SA may like what we have to say and might even want to take up the suggestions, the funky gibbon at the top may well have his own blooming agenda. :wink:

And yeah, construe the above as a rant if you want because frankly, I couldn't give a stuff if you do. Remember Shetlink's motto? Share information, share resources and communicate ideas.

Don't rant on here, contact Shetland Arts ... I contacted them some time ago about this on the box office website:-

"Ticket Concessions

Concession rate tickets are usually available for:

Senior citizens

Full time students

Under 16s

Other concessions, i.e. registered disabled or carers

However, it is the promoter's decision whether or not they have a concession rate and so some events may have only one price of ticket available."

The person I spoke to was lovely. I explained that there is no such thing as "registered disabled". I also pointed out that someone could be an informal carer or a carer. Now whilst somebody may be known to the SIC's Social Services Department and be on their database (which they can't share with SA) and likewise, a disabled person may well choose to claim DLA or another benefit, they might not necessarily be known to Social Services and/or be claiming DLA; that doesn't mean to say they don't have a disability.

So how exactly does one going about claiming the concession? Has anyone tried to get the concession or reduced price if a Senior Citizen/Student when booking online? Now upon trying to book online, up until the payment window, no concession deduction options are shown.

What is their criteria?

Either way, the wording needs to be changed and apparently it was going to be looked into - so far, zilch!

Amen to that!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - We ain't blooming ranting, we discussing it as we are blooming free to do. Never mind preaching that Shetland Arts have always been keen to hear folks' suggestions - if that was really the case, they'd still have had the Stakeholders' Meetings - THEY CHOSE NOT TO!

Besides, are you seriously suggesting that NO ONE from Shetland Arts reads this thread? Marvellous, let us all bombard their e-mail addresses with our ideas then, shall we? Na, let us put it on their Facebook page where it'll soon get deleted instead.

At least on here we can (attempt to) share ideas and thoughts and yeah, some of us will have constructive criticism and at other times, we'll have negative feedback and perish the thought, some good ideas might, just might, be actually discussed and taken up - after we've bounced them off each other on here.

Now whilst certain hardworking individuals within the SA may like what we have to say and might even want to take up the suggestions, the funky gibbon at the top may well have his own blooming agenda. :wink:

And yeah, construe the above as a rant if you want because frankly, I couldn't give a stuff if you do. Remember Shetlink's motto? Share information, share resources and communicate ideas.

Good grief! I wasn't even referring to you. I was merely agreeing with another poster that constructive debate can take place when folk avoid rants.

So I post a general comment based on personal experience and you retort that I'm "preaching"?? But you're free to post continual supposition, direct ALL CAPS shouty comments at me and "blooming" this and "blooming" that, because you're "discussing", right? :roll:

But since we're on the subject, I and several other folk I know don't contribute to this thread specifically because of your aggressive and combative manner - which you have just demonstrated to full effect.

You seem to be unaware of the negative affect of the tone of your posts and become immediately defensive if it is criticised. No-one is trying to prevent you from commenting, but it would aid debate if you could keep your tone calm and civil.

"If you look back the question was asked - how many screens are in Shetland? if your asking how many screens in Shetland have cinematic sound, then thats just down to the Garrison and Mareel i think. "

Just a point of accuracy - the museum also has full digital surround sound capabilities (installed by the same company who did Mareel!!)

The seat aren't nearly as comfortable though :P

Good grief! I wasn't even referring to you. I was merely agreeing with another poster that constructive debate can take place when folk avoid rants.

So I post a general comment based on personal experience and you retort that I'm "preaching"?? But you're free to post continual supposition, direct ALL CAPS shouty comments at me and "blooming" this and "blooming" that, because you're "discussing", right? :roll:

But since we're on the subject, I and several other folk I know don't contribute to this thread specifically because of your aggressive and combative manner - which you have just demonstrated to full effect.

You seem to be unaware of the negative affect of the tone of your posts and become immediately defensive if it is criticised. No-one is trying to prevent you from commenting, but it would aid debate if you could keep your tone calm and civil.

I'll be brief: How about I take onboard what you say but you take onboard how annoying it can be to read comments about rant/ranting, together with comments along the lines of people not posting on here because of ...?

Re the topic - Rather long but somewhat informative attachment but where is it in circulation? (Haven't seen it down this end that's for sure)

I'll be brief: How about I take onboard what you say but you take onboard how annoying it can be to read comments about rant/ranting, together with comments along the lines of people not posting on here because of ...?

Re the topic - Rather long but somewhat informative attachment but where is it in circulation? (Haven't seen it down this end that's for sure)

I believe that everyone commenting on this has the right to say what they feel, people say things based on their own experiences.

I also wonder how they go about knowing who is 'disabled' and is eligable for cheaper tickets? anyone know?

Thats right everyone has the right to air their views, unless its against it - then your acused of being a trol.

Someone should have opened a facebook page for those against this and other projects for people with conserns etc. Its a free world after all. too late now. So best just let them get on with it the best they can. just hope it all goes well and the till keeps ringing. They will be enough folk ready to jump on them if things don't go to plan.

I like the idea of the silver and gold cards, as long as the prices stay the same, £10 or £15 isnt that bad as long as you go to most films.

I cant see anywhere if you have to take it for ie 6 months or a year. Being locked into a contract doen't appeal to me.

Then as long as they are more than 4 new films on in a month then i think your quids in! its a bit like the unlimited cards you can get south. Problem could be if they keep the same films more than a week/fortnight.

Be worth giving it a try and if it doesn't work out worth it then we can easy ditch it after a while.

Also like the idea of getting film info emails, as long as its just the films, and not open the floodgates to 'we are delighted to announce' emails.

so full marks to them for the ideas above