Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Also shetland peat bleats on about " media production facilities" as if this is some great new business that will boost the economy of the isles. What are you thinking ? that we will have another half a dozen shetland news websites? perhaps SIBC will have a lot of competition ? a new radio station for every day of the week and every type of music.

Hey, not a bad tag, PeatBleats, you're good. The above quote may be the reason you may not see to far. There are several media production companies based in Shetland, I am really suprised you think such a company just produces the news for Shetland.

Maddrim Media

Vunk Fest

Shetlandfilm

Yell Film and Video Group

North See Production

North Star Project

Serpentine

Tim Bentley Productions

Technical Production Services Ltd

Millgaet Media Group

BurntCandle Productions

Penultimate Productions

Most of the above do not do news as a mainstay, although, every image could be seen as news.

You can then add on any others you may know about.

Perhaps your comment is a reflection on how much folk take notice of what is around them, it appears, very little, I hope that is not always the case.

Unfortunately, it would be impractical to ascertain how many Shetland folk work in the media industry off Shetland. Good you found a negative though, where would we be with out it.

These companies and groups need to be sustained. Perhaps the change is the biggest fear, why be happy with the existing, surely, to improve and increase these sorts of groups and companies will allow the media industry to take a greater foothold and let Shetland become a bigger player. With the demise of other industries it creates another arm to Shetlands skills.

What the Mareel can do is enthuse folk to have a go. That can only be a good thing, another opportunity to create a skills base should be grasped. Doing this may then filter down and create other industries, it would also provide a great selling tool to get more folk to invest in Shetland and put cash into the system. With the improving links for communications and the willingness of folk to head it up, it is looking good.

Unfortunately, it would be impractical to ascertain how many Shetland folk work in the media industry off Shetland. Good you found a negative though, where would we be with out it.

These companies and groups need to be sustained. Perhaps the change is the biggest fear, why be happy with the existing, surely, to improve and increase these sorts of groups and companies will allow the media industry to take a greater foothold and let Shetland become a bigger player. With the demise of other industries it creates another arm to Shetlands skills.

What the Mareel can do is enthuse folk to have a go. That can only be a good thing, another opportunity to create a skills base should be grasped. Doing this may then filter down and create other industries, it would also provide a great selling tool to get more folk to invest in Shetland and put cash into the system. With the improving links for communications and the willingness of folk to head it up, it is looking good.

When they filter through to the little people like me, I'll take the rest of your rhetoric seriously.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2531328007.png

So far all I've seen "improving" is the rate of deterioration on the 3.0 - 4.0 download speeds I used to be able to expect at this time of week/day 3-4 years ago.

Very good Shetland pit, an interesting list of what is basically computer generated hobbies which can be produced in the average computer enthuasiasts bedroom, with the exception of millgaet media which does produce a nice colour magazine, but also cant pay for itself with out cash injections from community funds

- http://www.shetland.gov.uk/news-advice/prsdt010708.asp

So you think that bailing out this building is some how going to facillitate these media based industries to become the engine of the shetland economy, creating jobs and income on an equal footing with food and energy production?.

Perhaps you should get into politics full time as you seem equally as scatter brained as the baffoons we are burdened with.

And what industries do you class as in demise?

It is my belief that these Islands should always make the traditional industries of fishing, sea faring, marine + land farming along with our traditional crafts (knitwear, ship building, construction etc) the main priorities with regard to safe guarding the economy.

Tourism and maintaining a clean environment with the minimum of disruption is also important ( no industrial scale wind power generation)

The demise they have suffered has been down to the tragically poor performance of these islands and the UK'S political representatives over the last 30 years.

Very good Shetland pit, an interesting list of what is basically computer generated hobbies which can be produced in the average computer enthuasiasts bedroom, with the exception of millgaet media which does produce a nice colour magazine, but also cant pay for itself with out cash injections from community funds

- http://www.shetland.gov.uk/news-advice/prsdt010708.asp

Millgaet got that moey in 2008 and is still in business. I just looked at a website that give financial details on all companies registered at Companies House. From the accounts filed they estimate Millgaet's to be 3 times the amount invested by the Shetland Development Trust.

You may note that I stated " I do hope it succeeds". I sincerely hope it does meet it's running costs and generate enough profit to complete its required maintenance as time goes on so that everybody can enjoy going to see a movie and perhaps some live music.

Although I am convinced this wont be the case.

I said you must be a new labour supporting swivel eyed loon?, It was a question asking if you were one.

Not an insult

I said you seem equally as scatter brained as our local and national political representative's.

I did not say you were, I am sorry if you consider this an insult. I consider it an observation.

Fair enough, don't post your long post.

I will assume that you have no coherent or valid response to my previous post.

Thank you Joannie

, so are you saying they have paid back there loan in full and had a profit of £750,000 last year ?

If so how many other similar shetland magazines can the market handle?

That should have read estimated turnover. The details on the SDT loan are not revealed in the company's accounts but another website describes the loan as being partially repaid.