Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

What is it about Supermarkets in Shetland that causes people to evangelise so?

Not content with actively hating one or the other of these stores many people seem intent on trying to make others "turn towards the light" and let Tesco or the Co-Op into their lives.

There are two Supermarkets to choose from. If you find that you prefer one over the other then choose to shop there.

If you are forced to endure the hell that is shopping in your second choice supermarket or, even worse, find that the vegetable you want is not in stock today then try to rationalise it by imagining yourself in a worse situation such as Darfur or Gaza. Perhaps your ordeal of having to put up with indifferent staff or own brand products won't feel quite bad after that.

Perhaps my outlook is too laid back but, honestly, some people must have very little to worry about in their lives if where they shop causes such distress.

clare green wrote

Incidently - how many people reading this realise that the CO-OP is the largest food retailer in the country? - yes quite -and I only recently discovered this.

Alas what you have discovered is plain wrong. Asda or Tesco hold that crown. However the Co-op does claim to be Britain's largest farmer.

What you have to remember is that we've had two supermarkets in Shetland for nearly fourteen years, and we've managed fine. Why should that change now that Tesco's on the scene? I'm not saying I think much of their ethics, but I do think they get picked on a bit just because they have sites in every postcode area in the country.

What is it about Supermarkets in Shetland that causes people to evangelise so?

Not content with actively hating one or the other of these stores many people seem intent on trying to make others "turn towards the light" and let Tesco or the Co-Op into their lives.

There are two Supermarkets to choose from. If you find that you prefer one over the other then choose to shop there.

If you are forced to endure the hell that is shopping in your second choice supermarket or, even worse, find that the vegetable you want is not in stock today then try to rationalise it by imagining yourself in a worse situation such as Darfur or Gaza. Perhaps your ordeal of having to put up with indifferent staff or own brand products won't feel quite bad after that.

Perhaps my outlook is too laid back but, honestly, some people must have very little to worry about in their lives if where they shop causes such distress.

well put skyumpie totally agree

It has to be said that both supermarkets displayed a terrible lack of stock and order control over the Xmas season..( nothing new to the rest of the year, maybe the Area Managers need sacked for being so slack ).

Tesco has had control of it's new store in Lerwick long enough to get the bread stock/order situation sorted.... but no for a store to be repeatedly out of stock at 3 pm in the afternoon when open until 10 pm is a disgrace.

Time for Store Manager change i feel.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/5381/everylittlehelpsid0.jpg

Sal

(***Mod Edit - Merged with the existing Supermarket thread. No need to start a new thread every time an issue about supermarkets comes up.***)

Agree with skyumtie.....

We have more than enough to eat in this part of the world...Have been in places where you had to queue all day and at that,there was no bread left so you just had to go back another day.....

does it really matter whether you are eating Co-op veggies or Tesco veggies.....as long as we eat !!!

I also agree with Skyumpi comments I think some folk just enjoy moaning for the sake of.

As I've said before if the folk that moan put a bit more planning into their shopping habits nobody would need to run out of anything.there's always spare bread in our freezer and we have a bread maker, we buy long life milk. so where's the problem ????? :roll: :roll: :roll:

I also agree with Skyumpi comments I think some folk just enjoy moaning for the sake of.

As I've said before if the folk that moan put a bit more planning into their shopping habits nobody would need to run out of anything.there's always spare bread in our freezer and we have a bread maker, we buy long life milk. so where's the problem ????? :roll: :roll: :roll:

As long as you are ok the rest of us are bad planners.....get a grip.

The case still remains that the supermarket managers are not stock managing.........i would go so far as to say they are a disgrace to retail management.

Sal