Dogs Against Drugs

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re the drugs dog handler, Dogs against drugs don't get a penny from polis for him. There is a nother dog handler up here now and i quote from the polis on the Radio Shetland Speakeasy program (last nihgt) who said abiout him "he is a full tiome police officer and is as likely to take a complaint of vandalism as tio be dealing wityh drugs". Is that who youre thinkin of? He is a cop if so not dogs against drugs, where the other guy is a special conmstable. Does that clear things up a bit? :?:

It was interesnting, coiuld of been better with some more questions throewn at them (the panel). Should be a regluar feature if you ask me, that sort of ciurrent affairs programe. The bairns they had interveiwed before hand all said they wnated more information. A bit of active participation from them wouldnt have gone amiss either. Just my view.

There only seems to have been the first 58 secodns of the programe put onto the Radio Shetlandn website. Strange. The bairns views at the start went on for a good 5r minutres or more so you dont get a chanvce to hear anything the panel had to say. Any chance of someomne from Radio Shetland reading thi sand sorting it out? Or anyone know anyone who works there and can so likewsie:?:

I was quite surprised when one of the youngsters said that you could get just about any drug in school. I think that probably shows my naivete. Drink was often mentioned as a real problem and the gateway into drugs in the same way as cannabis is allegedly the gateway to harder drugs.

There used (and maybe still is) a police dog handler in addition to the DAD special. Used to live near me in his own house...

Peerie Brian's comment about cost effectiveness is plausible and outside my knowledge.

I was told they were primarily a deterrent to discourage couriers from bringing goods in and I have no idea whether this is successful in any way.

The dog seems to be used as a backup for intelligence.

Maybe the dogs the more intelligent?

The dealers seem to be able to outsmart the intelligence however.

A person living close to me (in da country) a "known" dealer, was raided so often (unsuccessfully) that he apparantly had some injunction taken out against the police for harrassment. We witnessed several "known" users go to his door for 10-20 seconds at a time, on a fairly common basis. . The police seemed to know this (staked out in my garden at times and we were asked to note visitor car regn's.) but seemed to be unable to actually catch anyone in the act.

As a serving Police officer (and not ashamed of it) I have to take issue with the last comment. I have been here several years and have NEVER heard of any such "injunction" or indeed of cops "staking out" in folks gardens. Any proof of the last, in which case I will acknowledge your allegation as fact, rather than hearsay/fiction? :?:

In answer to the queries about the Police drugs dog handler, from my experience - not necessarily from a Force viewpoint - folk in Shetland have wanted their own resources in the past, rather than having to rely on officers travelling from the mainland (e.g. when dealing with serious road accidents). The dog handler is a full-time police officer who also handles the regular matters dealt with by other officers, however he IS a trained and accredited dog handler whose animal is trained in the detection of controlled drugs. If we were to mount any size of anti-drugs operation, it seems logical to me to have the resources here to do so, rather than having to wait for them to come from the mainland, risking all and sundry finding out prior to their arrival or commencement of the operation. Does that make sense to anyone else? These dogs are invaluable when searching houses/cars/areas under suspicion, and take the role of what would otherwise require full police search teams (taken off other normal police duties elsewhere around the force) to detect. Again, does this seem logical to anyone else?

Thanks Trout, however anything I post will be more personal than professional, although I will not be drawn into petty insults or comment on ongoing policies or enquiries. I hope that is okay with your members. The reason I posted here is because I genuinely believe that DaD provide a valuable service to the people of Shetland and the handler should be complimented, not insulted. He does a lot of work with kids in schools regarding drugs education and while it may not be what all your members want to deliver to them, he does explain the effects of the different drugs available to them. It's not indoctrination, it's education - BIG difference. Then he leaves it to them to make more EDUCATED choices. He visits almost every school in Shetland regularly doing this, as well as speaking to other groups - often in his own, unpaid, time - and is tireless in his contribution to keeping kids safer in Shetland. Considering he receives not one penny from the Police (he does not claim basic allowances to which he is entitled as a special constable), I'd say Shetland is pretty lucky to have someone like him working here.

No doubt there will be plenty out there who disagree. :roll: