Dogs Against Drugs

Guest Anonymous

What exactly is educational about taking sniffer dogs in to schools? Is it the old don't take drugs children because we have these wonder dogs that will track you down? This sort of scare tactic approach doesn't work.
Educational, as in educating about the possible hazards of drug-taking.

Why do you need dogs to educate about the dangers of drug use?

You don't need dogs to educate about the dangers of drug use. If you're referring to why the dog handler takes a dog/s with him when he's talking to young people, I'm guessing it may be because the dog is a very obvious and identifiable symbol of the whole Dogs Against Drugs scheme. If the handler talks about the role of the sniffer dog, it might make it a bit more real and interesting if they can see the dog in front of them.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can argue about the rights to use any drugs or not. surely the point is that currently it is illegal to deal in the drugs the dogs are looking for. The persons selling these drugs are criminals. The money they are making is financing other criminals, terrorists and maybe even the CIA. People are literally dying to provide you with the drugs you crave. Also the unscrupulous are supplying them in forms which are often dangerous to the users. We either to regulate them or stop them.

But why do school childern need to be taught about the role of sniffer dogs or the dogs against drugs charity? Surely they need to be taught about drugs so that they can make informed decisions in the future.

I am interested in finding out why you think they *shouldn't* be taught about dogs against drugs. I am certain that it doesn't take time away from being taught about drugs and their dangers, as a certain amount of time is alloted for visitors to the school and visiting places out of the school - certainly in our local primary anyway.

Regardless of if they are effective or not, the police are seen to be doing something. In terms of PR this is exactly the kind of thing the police are keen on. Like dawn raids and annual campaigns - it's all media orientated.

A lot of dawn raids for drugs take part too. its a national way to catch people- one place most of us are at 5 am - is in our beds! its not a new thing this its been comon practice for decades- im sure you would not complaine abut the drug dealers human rights if he was selling drugs to you kids. Well would be there helping the police!

I didn't complain about drug dealers human rights.

Primary children are remarkably astute, much more so than most people give them credit for. They mostly all know that tobacco, alcohol and the illegal drugs are bad for you. Does anyone think thats untrue?? Its only when they get older that rebellion and peer pressure set in, and the greatest of these is peer pressure. They also need to know what is legal or illegal. They are always interested in seeing police dogs, and what better way to introduce them to the subject than a visit from a friendly bobby and his handler. We must all be taught to respect the law. and also to know if you do wrong then you have nothing to hide. personally I am addicted to food, especially sugar and chocolate - and I am trying to fight it. I try decaff, but one reads moderate amounts of caffeinemay actually be beneficial. so until they ban it... In my place of work we witness dog activity and have never been snubbed from giving the dog a pat. But animals like me even polis. I believe the dogs act as a deterrent at least - and obviously from this thread some people find it worrying.

Why don't we see the dogs being used on the street during teh evening times before people take the drugs?

Because the piddling amount of drugs carried by the average user on the street is unlikely to be for anything more than personal use and if you can't get 'intent to supply', its hardly worth the paperwork never mind the manpower.

One sniff of a fried sausage and the poor pooches are bamboozled, according to those who used them on Klondykers in years past. (Scuttlebutt also has it that one of the dogs was hard pushed to find a stinky parcel which had been planted in the Post Office for testing purposes.)

The dogs seem mainly to function in 'intelligence-led' operations, which means the cops know where the stuff is already - roughly - and PC Puppy can then pinpoint it. It certainly saves time and manpower, but acting as a deterrant? I'm not so sure.

And the facts do show that use of harder drugs has been on the increase over the past couple of years. If couriers can get a bag of coke past the barricades easier than a pound of resin, that's what's going to be on the street - and that's what the funlovers are going to buy.

Guest Anonymous

yep the dogs have changed nothing , shetland is still awash with drugs and sadly it is the harder drugs such as heroin that seem to be on the increase.

the dogs only help to reassure worried and naive parents etc that something is being done.

The money they are making is financing other criminals, terrorists and maybe even the CIA. People are literally dying to provide you with the drugs you crave. Also the unscrupulous are supplying them in forms which are often dangerous to the users. We either to regulate them or stop them.

People are dying to provide illegal drugs because they are illegal. If these drugs were legalised them criminals would have less involvment in their supply and these lives could be saved. And these terrorists being funded by drugs would loose out. It is clear drugs can't be stopped so why waste valuable resources on an unwinable war?

Guest Anonymous

you are bang on turrifield, sadly the establishment think this is policy will not win votes and they could be right as the public at large think this is to horrific to contemplate thanks to the flawed information the establishment

filters through to them. what nobody wants to admit is that now in this country who wants to take drugs they can find them , quite easily in most parts of the country. these drugs are usually of poor and often dangerous quality and the profits from them end up in the hands of hardened criminals, terrorists and probably also several governments.

HOW ELSE DO YOU THINK THEY PAY FOR THE WAR IN IRAQ?

But why do school childern need to be taught about the role of sniffer dogs or the dogs against drugs charity? Surely they need to be taught about drugs so that they can make informed decisions in the future.

FFS. What do you think they're talking about?