Dog fouling

peeriebryan

Should people who let their dogs foul be prosecuted  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Should people who let their dogs foul be prosecuted

• Yes
    • No

I they catch a dog on the job.

Do they the volunteers? Have to spray the dogs bum as well so one can then see what dog it was who did the bad Jobbie in the first place. How about giving the little Jobbie to all on comunaty service they could pick up all the dog poo end of problem, possibly

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I they catch a dog on the job.

Do they the volunteers? Have to spray the dogs bum as well so one can then see what dog it was who did the bad Jobbie in the first place. How about giving the little Jobbie to all on comunaty service they could pick up all the dog poo end of problem, possibly

Now thats a good idea! Unfortunately it probably counts as 'cruel and unusual punishment' and the human rights people will not allow it.

Why doesn't the SIC do what Stavanger council has done?, rather than have volunteers wandering about spraying dog crap with a tin of pink spray paint, they have boxes of dog bags next to each dog waste bin in areas such as lakes and parks where people walk their dogs so they can take a bag if they forget to bring one and pick up the crap, so really the dog walkers have no excuse at all.

The SIC would be well advised to do the same thing, dog bags next to every dog waste bin in Shetland, they are clever these norwegians, maybe we should ask to join Norway again rather than be part of the UK which is not OK.

Why doesn't the SIC do what Stavanger council has done?, rather than have volunteers wandering about spraying dog crap with a tin of pink spray paint, they have boxes of dog bags next to each dog waste bin in areas such as lakes and parks where people walk their dogs so they can take a bag if they forget to bring one and pick up the crap, so really the dog walkers have no excuse at all.

Come now let's not spoil a mad idea with a little bit of rationality! I quite agree, the council provides bin bags to all residents so why not poop bags too? Provide the facilities and then you can enforce your rules if folk don't comply.

BTW, stunned to see that four folk are happy to allow dogs to crap anywhere with no punishment. What must your homes be like?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sweetpea

I think the horse crap in the town is a HUGE problem, but that much pink may be visible on google earth!

Cat crap is more likely to have disease causing germs. Why is it dog owners are the scapegoats. Previously had to have licenses nothing for cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More dog dirt bins are needed so you are no walking around the entire perimiter of clickimin broch before depositing your hot swelly animal poo. :roll:

Idea of poo bags by bins is good too now all supermarkets have gone green and dont give out plastic carrier bags.

Well I decided to contact the EHO to ascertain if said spray was toxic to dogs and wildlife. I persuaded them to send me the data sheet. It states if swallowed, to wash mouth out with water.

I explained that a dog/bird/cat, etc., wouldn't know that! After much debate, they agreed to seek the advice of a vet.

I do appreciate that more should be done re irresponsible mutt owners but advised if my mutts happened to sniff/eat other dog poo when I had a momentary lapse of concentration and then said mutts got ill, SIC would get the vet bill.

I'm still waiting to hear from SIC EHO as to what the vet's advice is.

HQ of RSPB weren't impressed as apparently, birds eat dog poo and spraying it bright pink will attract their attention even more.

Apparently, SIC do not have the dosh to employ more peeps to try and catch the perpetrators. Shame. Perhaps the Scottish Government should up the fines. More to the point, irresponsible dog owners should cease to be so irresponsible!

Guest sweetpea

agreed irresponsible few mean responsible many pay the price, my dog will eat anything despite being well fed perhaps cleaning it up could be a community service task for some recidivst brats, then SIC can really be the fascists they want to be!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

^^^

Dog poop can give your child Toxocariasis. According to this document horse manure is not hazardous to humans.

Horse manure is a solid waste excluded from federal regulation because it neither contains significant amounts of listed hazardous components, nor exhibits hazardous properties.

Plastic bags are still avaiable from the Coop and Tesco on request.

Guest sweetpea
^^^

Dog poop can give your child Toxocariasis. According to this document horse manure is not hazardous to humans.

Horse manure is a solid waste excluded from federal regulation because it neither contains significant amounts of listed hazardous components, nor exhibits hazardous properties.

Plastic bags are still avaiable from the Coop and Tesco on request.

There is a small proportion of dogs that carry it certainly not the majority!, How old is the document I wonder and it never ceases to amaze me people can find documents to support whatever they want.

Perhaps straying slightly off the point (if you forgive the pun), what happens then if SIC go ahead with this scheme and a person happens to slip on pink sprayed dog poo? Now say said person sustains a personal injury. Oh dear, SIC will have had the volunteer spray it who has completed their likkle sheet and hence SIC will have been made aware of said hazard. That means the person who had sustained a personal injury could sue SIC and I suspect their Insurers would take a dim view, given that the SIC were aware of the hazard and had not removed it!

If anything making it more visible makes it safer so people are less likely to slip on it...

Perhaps so, but then consider the amount of pavement trips/slips where people do not look down at the pavement but more so directly in front of them at eye level.

Toxaplasmosis can be carried by alot of animals to include birds,cats ,dogs,sheep etc so not just confied to dogs.

Also it would be sensible to worm all animal regularly with appropiate worming treatment from vets not the cheap stuff that doesn't work sufficiently.

Owning several Golden Retrievers I would always expect to clean up after my dogs where ever we are ,I always carry bags with me just in case and to be honest we encourage train our dogs to empty themselves before we set off on a walk.Feeding a good quality dog food means the dogs poo less once a day .Cheap food which are full of cheap fillers and bulking agents make dogs poo more but lots of people don't like paying for better quality as it comes at price.If you still prefer cheap dog food for your dogs expect to pick more poo.

I hate irressponsible dog owners who refuse pick up after their dogs its only common decency,theres nothing worse then getting prams wheels covered in the stuff and young children unexpectently walking in it its disgusting ,I carry small bottle antibacterial alchol rub handgel ,dog poo bags its hardly very taxing on brain to remember to pick it up and certainly don't think its embarassing its just a normal act.

My oldest children if they tak one of my dogs out also take bags and gel with them and always pick up can't believe how some adults are just so downright irresponsible.

Silvercloud

Something bright pink in your peripheral vision is still likely to get noticed :P

Even if it wasn't, I don't see who would possibly blame the council? Seems kinda ridiculous to me.

Because they have a legal duty to clear the highway of all hazards such as rubbish. Granted, the blooming irresponsible owner of dog doing the mess should really get collared but the same can be said if you were to trip on a coke can that the Council knew had been left for over a week and had failed to ensure it was picked up when the pavement was swept.