Northmavine Sign

Guest Anonymous

Your opinion on new sign?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on new sign?

• I Love The New Northmavine Sign
    • I Hate The New Northmavine Sign
    • Northmavine Sign?? Sorry, too embarrased to talk about it!!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. I have just driven past the sign...... and it did not float my boat. In fact, I would go so far as to say it was horrible and totally out of keeping with its environment. It looked like a project in "welding for beginners".

Sorry, but there it is - hideous and no asset to Shetland. I even prefer the weirdie pipe man outside the Shetland hotel - and that is strange!

.....totally out of keeping with its environment.

My thoughts exactly....Had it been down near the roadside next to the fence, the quarried bit, the tarmac and whever else sundry manufactured things are there , I might have though differently of it. But, a shiny steel "thing" atop a natural staney, girsey knowe in the nordern hills just doesn't cut it for me, in a bad sci-fi movie "Ow gawd, the Martians have landed sorta way"....

When I went past today, I was trying to think what it reminded me of.. I think it reminds me a bit of those big structures, often spelling out something, at a firework display. So come Guy Fawkes night - get those Catherine wheels out - way hay!!!! :wink: :D

Don't really care about it but how can anyone seriously have and objection about any planning issue be it windmills, salmon cages or house sites if we are allowed to erect something like that?

The ethos behind the sign is to raise the profile of Northmavine and encourage people to visit or live in the area.

And you think a stainless steel sign will do that?

I'm off back to Hillswick to live because I just love that welcome sign, seriously?

Don't really care about it but how can anyone seriously have and objection about any planning issue be it windmills, salmon cages or house sites if we are allowed to erect something like that?

The ethos behind the sign is to raise the profile of Northmavine and encourage people to visit or live in the area.

And you think a stainless steel sign will do that?

I'm off back to Hillswick to live because I just love that welcome sign, seriously?

The sign is part of a range of initiatives taking place in Northmavine to encourage social and economic regeneration. Tourism, Renewable Energy and Health reports are part of recent work published to encourage local groups and private enterprise to consider opportunities that have been identified. The web-site, www.northmavine.com is also a useful resource for both local folk and those searching for information about the area, either as a visitor or perspective citizen.

I don't think anyone is claiming that a sign at Mavis Grind will be the whole answer to the population decline of a peripheral area. It's part of a message.

Ten Top Trivia Tips about The northmavine sign!

1. The welcome to northmavine sign can grow up to three feet in a 24 hour period!

2. The northmavine sign is the only metal that is liquid at room temperature.

3. The deepest part of The northmavine sign is over 35,000 feet deep!

4. Astronauts get taller when they are in The northmavine sign!

5. Red The northmavine sign at night, shepherd's delight. Red The northmavine sign at morning, shepherd's warning!

6. The Vikings believed that the Northern lights were caused by The northmavine sign as it rode out to collect warriors slain in battle.

7. Welcome to northmavine was originally green, and actually contained cocaine.

8. Forty percent of the world's almonds and twenty percent of the world's peanuts are used in the manufacture of welcome to northmavine.

9. The welcome to northmavine sign kept at the window will keep vampires at bay!

10. It's bad luck to put the welcome to northmavine sign on a bed.

http://thesurrealist.co.uk/trivia.pl?subject=The+northmavine+sign&gender=n

Another Ten Top Trivia Tips about The 'welcome to northmavine' sign!

1. The 'welcome to northmavine' sign is black with white stripes, not white with black stripes.

2. It's bad luck to put the 'welcome to northmavine' sign on a bed.

3. The 'welcome to northmavine' sign can turn its stomach inside out.

4. All of the roles in Shakespeare's plays - including the female roles - were originally played by the 'welcome to northmavine' sign.

5. Twenty-eight percent of Microsoft's employees are the 'welcome to northmavine' sign!

6. An average beaver can cut down the 'welcome to northmavine' sign every year.

7. In Japan it is considered rude to talk with the 'welcome to northmavine' sign in your mouth.

8. Moles are able to tunnel through 300 feet of the 'welcome to northmavine' sign in a day.

9. The 'welcome to northmavine' sign has a memory span of three seconds!

10. During World War II, Americans tried to train the 'welcome to northmavine' sign to drop bombs.

http://thesurrealist.co.uk/trivia.pl?subject=the+%27welcome+to+northmavine%27+sign&gender=n

Another Ten Top Trivia Tips about The 'welcome to northmavine' sign!

1. Let's keep serious!

2. Let's keep serious!

3. Let's keep serious!

4. Let's keep serious!

5. Let's keep serious!

6. Let's keep serious!

7. Let's keep serious! That metal thing is rubbish!!

8. Let's keep serious! That metal thing is rubbish or are we just jealous?!?!?

9. Let's keep serious! ... and give it a chance!

10. Let's keep serious!

Well then, me, personally spoken, would have thought about something different "to pull me over the table" ... ;-) But we should admit:

There is a local community,

they have made up their minds how to promote their area ...

not sitting in the dark and just mocking about the fact that their area was no focal point in the past ...

and I think with some assistance as usual they have paid for that thing from their own project budget.

So, please, give them a chance.

Ten Top Trivia Tips about Let's keep serious!

1. Europe is the only continent that lacks let's keep serious!

2. Carnivorous animals will not eat another animal that has been hit by let's keep serious.

3. Czar Paul I banished let's keep serious to Siberia for marching out of step.

4. The Australian billygoat plum contains a hundred times more Vitamin C than let's keep serious.

5. Plato believed that the souls of melancholy people would be reincarnated into let's keep serious.

6. A sixteenth century mathematician lost his nose in a duel over his love for let's keep serious, and wore a silver replacement for the rest of his life!

7. Let's keep seriousocracy is government by let's keep serious.

8. About 100 people choke to death on let's keep serious each year!

9. Red let's keep serious at night, shepherd's delight. Red let's keep serious at morning, shepherd's warning!

10. The Eskimos have over fifty words for let's keep serious.