New Museum & Archives

RickB

I think that in the old museum something on the staircase counted folk as they went up but I did here it said that it included everone - staff, postman etc.

Trows...

Nah, dey come in da vents idda found, skoit up da back idda linein, an win upoa da laft....an den pounce!! :shock:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Night at the Museum? :lol:

We were upstairs in the museum yesterday afternoon when a louspeaker announcement informed that the shop and restaurant will be closing in 15 minutes.

As we'd already looked at the shop and didn't want the restaurant, we ignored it. Another announcement - the shop are restaurant are now closed. Ok, still engrossed..

Then it seemed a bit quiet. Hadn't noticed but perhaps they'd been playing background music before..

Then some of the lights went off. It wasn't dark as there are windows and the lights in the cabinets were still on. Hmm, sez me - p'raps we'd better go - maybe this is a hint that they're closing in a bit. Well, we meandered back towards the stairs, pausing to have a look at one or two other things on the way.

Going down the stairs - seems a bit quiet, sez me.. Then we spotted a metal gate/barrier between leaving the gallery and the main entrance part. Jings crivvens an help ma boab, we're locked in!! >

Nah, can't be, sez hubby as we walked round to get out the other bit. Metal gate as well. By this stage I was creased up with laughter..

Back to the first gate, thinking what to do - no-one around, a bit Marie Celeste-ish.. Hubby tried the gate and it wasn't locked so we were able to push it back and get into the main entrance. We tried the revolving door but of course that was locked..

It probably would've taken me a moment to figure out what to do but hubby had the presence of mind to go for the fire exit - a couple of doors and we were outside thinking - how weird was that?!

I'm surprised that they either didn't check on monitors that everyone was out or do a sweep of the place before shutting up. And perhaps it might be a good idea to announce not only the closing of the shop and the restaurant, but the closing of the MUSEUM!! ;) :lol:

^^ :lol: Can just see the headlines - St Ninian's Isle treasure mysteriously turns up at the Tangwick Haa, Eshaness.. ;)

Yes, I suppose we could've scooped up armfuls of stuff out of the shop and run > but only grabbed a free Shetland Museum calendar which we'd spotted on the way in, but didn't want to carry all the way round the museum. Very nice is it too - if there are any left, they were sitting on a table near the entrance.

Interesting article from Guardian about the big museum prize:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/art/heritage/story/0,,2271641,00.html

Currently Shetland, whose scattered residents tend to regard the Orcadians as effete southerners, leads the popular vote for all 10 contenders on the 24 Hour Museum website.

The shortlist for the 2008 Art Fund prize for museums and galleries will be announced on April 18.