New Museum & Archives

RickB

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ Seems rather high figures....

Maybe Museum visiting has grown in popularity in recent years, as I doubt I've been in the old one since sometime in the 80's - nothing much new to see/part of town I had no reason ever to be in otherwise/awkwardish access roads to drive through/dubious availability of nearby parking etc syndrome - but I can recall a number of occasions being the sole member of the public in the building, and can't recall ever sharing the place with more than one or two others....

I disagree - The old museum was getting 30,000 visitors a year, and I'm sure the new building will better that figure considerably.

:shock: That's an average of 100 per day based on a 6 day 52 weeks a year opening. :shock:

Surely that must be the combined figures of Library visitors too?

^^^ Seems rather high figures....

Maybe Museum visiting has grown in popularity in recent years, as I doubt I've been in the old one since sometime in the 80's - nothing much new to see/part of town I had no reason ever to be in otherwise/awkwardish access roads to drive through/dubious availability of nearby parking etc syndrome - but I can recall a number of occasions being the sole member of the public in the building, and can't recall ever sharing the place with more than one or two others....

I always walked :wink:

On the three or four occasions that I went there I saw both sides of the coin, a place to be alone and a sudden rush of 6 people. I remember having to cough violenty to attract one of the staff when I wanted to buy some postcards :roll:

Sounds like there has been some creative accounting with the figures there. Perhaps they counted people going to the swimming pool car park too :D

Source - The Mighty Shetland News!

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/archives/pages/news%20stories/2005/04_2005/old_museum_closes_its_doors.htm

30,000 does seem a bit excessive, but large numbers of cruise ships and other tour groups loved the place, as well as people coming to purchase photos etc etc... I still think there are a lot of folk on here being a bit harsh on the new facilities - Give them a chance!

^^^ Fair point, with the number of liners that come in these days, a couple of bus loads off each one would go a good way towards that total. I just wasn't seeing a 22,000 or whatever it is now population plus the more conventional tourists that come here during, what is a relatively short season, making that total.

Giving them a chance is fair enough, but considering the total cost of the project, how long it's been sailing, and some of the arguably boastful "sound bites" attributed to some of the higher ranked staff involved in the project, it would need to be something special and virtually perfect to justify itself.

^^^ The old Museum held those various exhibitions, lectures etc in the west gallery which on occasion could draw a reasonable number of visitors to them, the subject matter covered wasn't always directly related to the core subjects of the functions of a Museum either, and even if it was, folk attending them weren't actually visiting the Museum per se. The particular event brought them in, and as such they'd have attended regardless of the building it was in. Few attending those, that I ever saw, paid any heed to the permanent Museum displays while they were there, if even the rest of the Museum was available to view, given that a number of those special events were held in the evening well outside regular Museum opening hours.

If a counter automatically clocked everyone passing a certain point it would have tallied all vistitors to those events as well, which is can only distort the figures further.