Shetland teenager jailed

abraxas

I never used to think this sort of thing would or could happen in a place like Shetland. Just shows you. He will be out and back here in a few years. I dont think thats justice. The judge is meant to proitect society. This guy comitted terrible crimes against bairns and has he been punished? Are we protected? Are our bairns protected?! I dont think so. Hwe hasnt even said sorry or shown pity for those he hurt.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you mean that Leask boy. He sounded like he is screwed up. Think for sex offenders they should be put away for a very long time, but one thing that i couldent understand was that he had sex with the young lasses when he was also underage so how could he be done for that? was it due to the circumstances? Just seemed odd as he wasent done for rape etc with them.

I don't know if the law has changed but I believe that it used to be that if somebody male had sexual intercourse with a female below the age of 16 it was illegal (as it still is). However, if somebody female had sexual intercourse with a male under the age of 16 it was considered OK. I could be totally wrong on that point and now that I am well above that age it doesn't concern me too much. :wink:

What this boy did was totally unacceptable and I think the sentence he has received is far too short. I am totally ignorant to the current prison system but I hope he gets the counselling that he obviously requires and comes out a changed man rather than gaining 'expertise' in other fields as so many convicts seem to do nowadays.

Guest Anonymous

the sooner the justice systym toughens up and the namby pamby attitude of a large percentage of the public wakens up to the fact that these types of criminals should either be castrated or executed . Then the country may start to become a safer place for innocent and vulnerable children.

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=824012007

Seems like there's some step up in the regulations but it will most likely be used as a way to release more from prison early.

It may yet be some time before the powers that be realise that a violent sex offender can not ever be given the chance to repeat their crime.

There is no point waiting for remorse from them or rehabilitation.

Why give such a creature the chance to become a better person, surely there are more worthy contenders.

Once they've done the deed they have removed themselves from any need for human rights.

End it in rope. It's not the skinning in a bath of salt I'd opt for them but the same long term benefits apply.

Well we can't execute him and castration (real or chemical) is not an option available to the courts which leaves the Judge to decide what type of sentence he can impose. In making that decision he will have listened to evidence about the crimes (probably some not given in open court), studied reports from various "experts" (who may or may not be any good) and will no doubt have formed his opinion of the boy from what he has seen in court.

The Judge then has to consider punishment where he will have guidelines that he may use although he is not bound by them. He will also consider protection of the public and rehabilitation of the offender. This consideration will partly be influenced by what effect the crimes have had on the victims and their families. After all this the poor old Judge has to pass sentence while being mindful that either side could appeal and I think that for the most part judges display wisdom in their sentencing.

Sadly there is one option that almost certainly was not open to the Judge. Faced with an offender who sounds like a crazy mixed up kid with teenage testosterone running through his body the Judge might well have thought that the interests of justice were best served by sending the kid to some secure place for treatment. Keeping the public safe and reducing the chances of him re-offending when released would seems to make more sense. But then I always have been a wishy washy liberal.

This is such a sick crime to commit!

I still cant believe that someone of his age would do something like this in Shetland!

In Shetland...???

Why ever not...???

WTF has Shetland got to do with it...??? :?: :?: :?:

JustMe, no offense chum but yeah u are a wishy washy liberal if you think some1 capable of raping 2 teenage girls and abusing 3 junior school age boys is just "a crazy mixed up kid with teenage testosterone running through his body". Jesus H on a rubber raft! I was a helluva crazy mixed up kid, and I had plenty of the ole "T" pumping through me and I am sickend that anyone could have done what he did at any age!! Correct me if I am wrong but U are a hairsbredth away from being an adult in Scotland at the age when he started his abuse and he was an adult when he abused these kids. 1 kid was 7!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can only imagin how the families are feeling seeing what ur great british justice system has done for them (and us) here.

I bet the judge paid a lot more attention to what the defense experts said then he did for the prosecutors reports fom their experts. They always seem to in this country and even tho I have been here over ten years I have never understood it. Kinda seems to me from what was said in court this "kid" was capable of manipulating and controlling his victims for quite some time before being nailed - WELL DONE THE PLOD!! - which seems pretty sophisiticated thinking from just some "poor kid".

I would like to see a full judicial review of all sentencing for these perverts in recent years and some sorta standard benchmarking system in place rather than some guy with a private school accent and tie making his decisions, unelected and uninfluenced AND UNCARING about the the rest of us, espcially those who are the victims! THEY always get forgotten.

Any1 agree?

Just me wrote:

Faced with an offender who sounds like a crazy mixed up kid with teenage testosterone running through his body; keeping the public safe and reducing the chances of him re-offending when released would seems to make more sense. But then I always have been a wishy washy liberal.

More along the lines of badly informed fantasist really.

Sorry I'm a bit behind the (Shetland) times over here. I only got the paper today.

Paragraph two of this particular article states that he "continued to molest young victims after he was released on bail by a sheriff".

Shocking!!!! The mind boggles!