What were your favourite childhood toys?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^

Being a refined... cough... female... sheep sharn was to be avoided.

But I do mind my Mams face when at about 4 years old, I came round the corner o the house carrying a VERY newborn lamb.

It probably wouldn't have bothered her normally but.. I had on my brand new jacket because we were minutes away from going on hols!!

• 1 year later...

I had:

- a lot of cuddlies

- a few Barbie dolls (including Disney ones)

- a Brio wooden train set

- Sylvanian Families

- Polly Pocket

I also used to play with my brother's Lego, and get a sneaky shot on his SNES.

And I still like a game of Scrabble with my granny when I'm home. :)

Those are the ones I can mind off the top of my head

I remember that when it was sunny outside, then me and my sister would run into the garden and play: I used to remember that my sister kept throwing things over the wall and that our dad would try to supervise us whilst we play, I remember I would ride on my tricycle in bare feet to the garden and start chasing my sister around the garden! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Thinking back coming on for 50 years I guess the childhood memories of handed down toys and things bought from jumble sales takes me back to Mecano. It was an amazing toy that was only limited by your engineering imagination.... gears, pulleys, girders and plates. Anything from the lift on a coal mine to a buldozer or cantilever crane.. you were only limited by the parts you posessed. I think the next thing was Lego bricks which inspired my architectural side. To begin with they were basic but the have evolved into an engineering and fantasy toy. ( Oh yes, I played with da bairns toys too when I got older )

BUT, once upon a time I was given the parts that made a crystal radio. This started a lifelong passion for electronics which has progressed through the infancy of the modern technology into the digital age. Not long for the buss pass now but my computer system ROCKZ

[i also got a fishing rod at an early stage but thats another story.]

I had a dummy Hand Grenade that looked very realistic made from iron and had a lever that sprang of when you pulled out the pin. You could also add a banger, so it went bang, when you threw it. I threw it in the door of one of the classrooms at the AHS, about exam time when usually when we had a free period and of course it went bang. What I had not bargained for was there was a teacher in the room sitting sorting exam papers. The Hand Grenade rolled across the floor and hit the leg of his chair.

And he looked down to see what it was. He had just enough time to register what it was when the bang went off. At which point me and the rest of my class mates entered the room to see him jumping up and all the exam papers went flying around the room, I spent most of my free time picking up papers the teacher had a good l laugh and then, I got a good belting ect, ect

If one did that today. I would expect armed police to cart me off and bang me up for 40 days, with out trial. Now that I’m getting well into my late 40s. I can see what a silly thing it was to do, but at the time. It was just mucking about as kid did back then. And it was just a great toy to me, I was told to take it home and not take it to school again. It never even cross my mind once, that an older man may have had a heart attack

Loved my scooter, but only had it up to about age 7. I sorely envied my friend his pedal car when I was 3.

My little sister and I had a few dolls between us, but they were mostly just extras in our games.

I liked lego, but never had enough blocks to do anything interesting with. Plus mine only came in three different sizes of block - one square and two different sizes of rectangle - so options were a bit limited. They make fantastic lego/megablocks now!

Monopoly or scrabble when we really couldn't think of anything to do.

I had a really cool doll's pram that was big enough for a child to sit in, so my sister and I took it in turns to sit in it while the other shoved it across the grass as fast as she could (I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did!).

What I really wanted, and was never allowed to have, was a "catty" (catapult) which kids made themselves out of a robust Y-shaped bit of fallen wood and a strip of bicycle inner tube :( Mum was probably right not to let me have one, though, considering how much damage I did to windows with just a tennis ball...

When I was 9, we visited my mum's friend for a month. They owned a little shop and had barrels in the back that they didn't mind you walking around on. That was fantastic once I'd got the idea of walking backwards to go forwards, though I got a fair few bumps/cuts/grazes.

My favourite "toys" were always books and my imagination, though. You can never have too many books (as long as they're well written: there's some real rubbish out there!).