Why not make alcohol illegal?

Obviously, this will never happen as the government makes way too much money from it, but since it (and fags) kill more people than all other drugs combined x 1000, why should it be kept legal?

I, obviously would like it to be kept legal, but thats thanks to the binge culture in Shetland, so I'm asking the question from a kind of information-finderer-outter point-a-view.

Opinions? Thoughts?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the experience of the United States during prohibition. Criminals well able to supply the product to anyone with the cash. And the deaths from home made spirits. Also I suspect a drink ban would hurt the tourist trade which is very important to the UK.

Moving a bit sideways can anyone produce any good reasons for Shetlands pubs and clubs to be open after 11pm on ordinary weeknights.

Obviously, this will never happen as the government makes way too much money from it, but since it (and fags) kill more people than all other drugs combined x 1000, why should it be kept legal?

I, obviously would like it to be kept legal, but thats thanks to the binge culture in Shetland, so I'm asking the question from a kind of information-finderer-outter point-a-view.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Not just the government making money - its a HUGE industry with thousands of jobs/lives dependant on it! But policing and hospital costs are HUGE as well.

Also a means of social control - everyone is out getting pissed instead of plotting to overthrow the government!

Andy 8O

Perhaps the experience of the United States during prohibition. Criminals well able to supply the product to anyone with the cash. And the deaths from home made spirits.

The same bad experience we've had here in Russia 20 years ago when Gorbachev launched his "anti-alcohol action". This way has been tried in many countries but I think always with the same negative result.

That's almost a philosophical problem: on the one hand, alcohol industry and trade provide a lot of people with job, state budget gets taxes and tolls out of it; on the other hand hundreds of people die annually in car accidents caused by drunk drivers, dozens of thousands loose their health ability to work due to alcoholism etc etc etc. But nobody has counted yet which one weighs more, employment&taxes or losses of people's lives and health with all its negative effect on economics.

I don't think we need the licencing board to look after us

I beg to differ, after fourteen pints with JD chasers you certainly do need looking after. :wink:

Are there any Russians in Shetland?

There are some. I know of a couple of ladies who i think have married into the place. I'm led to believe they are russian. There are a number of other ex-eastern block people, but i'm not going to offend anybody by presuming they are russian!

• 4 years later...
Perhaps the experience of the United States during prohibition. Criminals well able to supply the product to anyone with the cash. And the deaths from home made spirits. Also I suspect a drink ban would hurt the tourist trade which is very important to the UK.

So, it seems that if a substance is against the law, it will do more harm to society.

Then, tourists need to be intoxicated to enjoy the country.

It's not that bad. Is it?

But, even in its legal state, alcohol is involved in more social problems than anything else.

I wonder how much it really does cost, would there be a break down of the actual cost per unit to the community in money terms, let alone the harm it does people.

doot its a bit like un-inventing da atomic bomb , however i do whole heartedly agree about over consuming , blootered folk are a bloody menace , and the aftermath does cost a fortune in tears n hits nhs etc hard , but still , in reality is it no a slightly lesser evil to hash heads who cant be bothered to turn out and paranoid psychotics on hard stuff

One of the MAJOR problems is that bar staff will continue to serve people even when they are clearly already intoxicated. I believe that is against licensing laws but it happens in every pub, every night of the week.

I know it's difficult for landlords to decide not to sell a product to a customer who is happy to purchase but they SHOULD.

To resolve the binge drinking problems that we have you have to enforce the existing laws fully OR hike up the prices - significantly. If there was a minimum pricing of something like (and I know this is painfully to think about) 5 quid a unit, alcohol would very rapidly become some only consumed in small quantities and during special occasions.