Shaetlan Wird o' Da Day

Njugle

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gooster is is a strong wind and Gyndagooster is above that - a storm.

In Faroese, "gjóstur" means "wind through an open door or window". I guess it´s the same word as shetland "gooster".

....and 'gouster' is 'bellow'. As in "he gae a gouster it da dug ta lay im doon". Strong wind/wind through open doors/windows/hot air through open mouths, all very likely the same origins.

skuyk or skoit = look

To "skeita/skoita" in Faroese means to "cast a side-long glance at someone; look at someone out of the corner of one´s eye".

N.B.

skeita = Southern Faroese Dialect

skoita = Northern Faroese Dialect

The same goes for: ein/oin "one", heim/hoim "home", etc.

Dagfinn, half the fun is finding out what they mean! :wink:

For your benefit:-

Pirrel - The end result of grass (or other food products) having been through the digestive tract of an animal such as a rabbit.

Slester - The resultant action having trod on some pirrels. (I set me fit upo a pile o' pirrels and got me shun athin a gawdless slester.)

:lol: ^No just on your foot tho', joost means a state of messy-ness, in commonly a liquid sense, eg hands, feet, plates, floors, yards etc etc could all 'git athin a slester'

Though most often children. :wink:

pirrels: rabbits and sheep, i'm no heard o ony idder kind o sharn being ca'ad a pirrel. (?)

Yes, please could folk provide a brief description of the word they provide, or a sentence wi' it in use. It's good to share, and i 'm particularly enjoying seeing how dis wirds share a usage we wir closest owerseas neighbours. :D It's amazing, tae the non-etymologist