Driving whilst using mobile phones

lambie

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point is its against the Law and dangerous and the media makes you aware of the dangers and when I am driving with my 3 children in the car and I read a while back that in England that there was a fatal accident where a driver was texting Im sorry but that becomes ingrained in the brain and makes you more aware of these things.

If Officers are seen to be using mobiles whilst driving then more fool them.

But when I was doing things that might not have been illegal then but are today I did not feel that I was doing anything dangerous. Same with speeding. One weekend I was doing a lot over the speed limit as I did not think it was unsafe and a couple of weekends later I was driving along the M5 sticking to about 50mph because I thought any more would be dangerous.

Problem with reporting a mobile phone user is its your word against them a lot of work trying to proove it and being dragged through court,

Carry on driving and using your phones even if you use it when its safe, its not going to change how I feel, I still think its dangerous, yakking on the phone you have one hand on the steering and not in full control, its not the best feeling when you have a huge lorry coming past you at 60mph and you see the driver is on the phone, or someone which I saw the other day going past a 20mph not doing 20mph may I add outside a school on their phone, Clever!!!

Get a hands free set if its really that important

One of the things I do to amuse myself when I have to leave the building for a smoke is count the number of drivers using mobile phones. My vantage point is on Commercial road. It varies according to the time of day but it can be as high as 1 in 4. It is only a matter of time before there is a crash between two vehilces going in opposite directions because both drivers are on mobiles. I have already seen a rear end shunt.

Why do those who feel that they have to be in contact all the time and are above the law not buy bluetooth hands free? I saw one in Tescos that cost less than the fixed penalty. You don't need to look like one of the actors in Blakes 7 either. It clips on to the sun visor and accepting a call is no more dangerous than adjusting the visor.

I recon the police should confiscate the mobile phone on the spot in addition to the fixed penalty.

You could take photographs. There needs to be the right info in them and hand them to the Police, but no one else.

You would need to prove date, time, reg and clear pic of offender, they are just killers in the waiting.

Question

Is it an offence, punishable by a fixed penalty ticket, to use a mobile phone whilst a vehicle is stationary in a lay-by or at the side of the road with the engine running?

Answer

It is indeed an offence to use a mobile phone whilst a vehicle is stationary in a lay-by or at the side of the road with the engine running, and the important point to note here is 'with the engine running'.

Your not that good....

Studies have shown that a driver’s reaction can be up to 50% slower than usual and the risk of crashing is increased by 4 times when they are using a mobile phone. Reactions of drivers using mobiles were recorded as being 30% worse than that of a driver who was over the drink driving limit.

http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/

So, if your happy for folk to get away with this sorta crime, do nothing.

These drivers kill and injure without discrimination. They do not care, or they will not do it. Only option really is to BAN the use of mobile phones in cars. There is no safe way to use a mobile phone while driving.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Today in Lerwick, here was this bold boy racer riding the clutch of his blue Subaru waiting to turn right into the Gremista Industrial site, left hand on the wheel and yes right hand with the mobile stuck to his earhole. Car coming into town flashes him to proceed. " unbelievable ".

See more and more of this every day. Are we still waiting on the police to make a first conviction of this in Shetland or is it that nobody really cares ?

I wouldn't worry too much about mobile phone use by drivers - they are in a minority. Take a vantage point (Commercial Road was mentioned above) then count the phone users versus the number of drivers picking their noses totally oblivious to everything going on around them - in a wee picky world of their own. Should this not also be banned? :)