• yes existing design

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Just some thoughts here,

Could they not make the design more basic but obviously practical,because the more fancy the design the higher the build cost,and beings it is school does it really need to be so fancy,blend it in with the surroundings ?

Sometimes I think some architects run away with themselves getting designs that are werid and wonderful at a very high price that looks a blot on the landscape and perhaps would not blend in with the rest of Shetland but looks good for the architect for his portfolio.

Have any of the local builders companies been ask for a quote to build?

How about a really basic design with extra money saved being a basic design spent on making the school very Eco or best as it can be and making this its best design feature?

Just some ideas,

Silvercloud

Hi,

Or even a state of the art Eco school,so others schools and industries can look and say proudly what Shetland has achieved we can do this too.

Instaead of the school blurring into nothing but a blot at huge expense nothing really to show but a fancy design.

A school that has everyone talking about it all for the right reasons and how about getting the pupils involved with some of the eco projects let them help in designing an Eco school for the future?

A school that can demosnstrate not only a safe and practical place to learn but a place to demonstrate sustainability for generations to come where children can learn importance of being more eco and where better than in their own Eco school.

The school can represent the fight in global warming and have key features built into its design it does not need to be fancy.

The school now has an oppotunity to bring green issues to the fore with a clever design.Enviromental issues can be taught or built into exsisting lessons.It may be able to help reduce some of it's running costs.

They have a marvellous oppotunity to make a real impact lets hope they don''t waste it on a design thats costly and offers little back but bricks ,mortar and glass and becomes just another building.

Silvercloud

• 3 months later...

On radio Shetland tonight they mentioned that it could take 6 yrs to build the new AHS.

Is the main reason for keeping it at the Knab because the kids use the retail outlets on the street at lunchtime and after school, ie chip shops, cake shops , pie shops, news agents, Oslas etc etc.??

I suppose the other options for a new site would be nice and handy for Tesco, i don't suppose that would best please retailers in the street!

£49.000.000 now, in 6 yrs time ????????? ££££££££££££££££.

There is at least one shop which displays a sign limiting AHS pupils to no more than 4 at a time in the shop and no bags allowed. Maybe, and this is also my experience, AHS pupils at lunchtime are a pain because the minority that steal do not display badges saying so.

On the more general issue there can be no just cause for building the new school on the Knab site to keep a few shopkeepers happy......although if they are willing to pay for it then let them get on with it. For the rest of us we want a cost effective school building and if the best solution is somewhere other than the Knab then so be it.

Build the thing on either the ness o soond or next to the clickimin. A few wind turbines to run the massive heat pumps as the new school design should out last the current projections of district heating's life of 30 years. accept no more second class options

With a price tag of 49 million, it certainly should be planned to perfection, my only concern is the longer it goes on, the higher the price tag will become and the council might be forced into Knee jerk action and start making mistakes and short cuts, ending with a school that is .sub standard, but costing a fortune.

They were showing a new school on BBC this morning, it cost 48 million, and was super modern, and the kids gave it the WOW factor. They had spent the last 12 months in porta cabins whle it was being built, not 6 years like the New AHS might take.

I do think that the new AHS should have full fitness facilitys incorporated in it, to cut down on the costs of transporting pupils back and forth to the clickimin.

wouldn't it make more sense to just build it next to the clickimin in the first place and make use of the existing facilities?

that was one of the early options that seems to have been dismissed already!

it's not like they're going to build a new swimming pool into the School so pupils are still going to have to be bused around anyway....

The point is that the Knab does appear to be the most cost effective of the options available, despite the significant capital cost. I'm not saying that the existing site is ideal in every respect but the reasons for building there and not at either Seafield or Clickimin - both of which will require millions being spent on them to make the land suitable/provide new infrastructure before building work can even start - basically comes down to the fact that it will cost less.

Time is money here and any more delays arising from the apparent inability among some councillors and the public to accept that a diplomatic decision has been made on the site selection is simply going to add even more to the final price tag.

In response to maxfusionregarding the use of the clikimin, if you pay an already expensive monthly subscription for the very small Gym, plus the other facilitys, i dont think people will appreciate hoards of kids swarming over the place.

I do believe that you can't build next to the Clickimin because the ground is not solid enough, old north loch?.

We don't want an iconic monolith but we dont want another Archtectural disaster that Lerwick is full of.

I do believe that you can't build next to the Clickimin because the ground is not solid enough, old north loch?.

We don't want an iconic monolith but we dont want another Archtectural disaster that Lerwick is full of.

You can build next to the Clickimin you just shouldn't the cost of piling, stone rafts etc would be prohibitive. We warned SIC about it when we tendered for doing up the running track mainly due to the already high water table and make up of the ground underneath but ultimately we didn't get the job so I'm not sure how that worked out.

Does anyone know if the track has trouble with ponding of water?.