1. 1. should the AHS be built on the KNAB

• yes different design
    • no
    • yes existing design

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Shetland News wrote "Workmen have already started marking out where they will be placing fencing screens behind which the work will take place."

Interesting considering the new school has not yet got planning permission. Still needs to go to the full council and is very likely to be looked at by the Scottish Ministers. Seems to me that a person or persons within the council are determined to push ahead with this project regardless of opposition. May I presume that in the event of planning permission being withheld that they will reimburse the contractors costs from their own pockets.

It's a total joke the way this new school seems to be pulling together. Yes, I agree we need a new school (as a parent Im looking forward to putting my kids to a state of the art modern school) but no, not at the Knab.

Kids spending their lunch money? If the school was built at Clickimin then the pool cafe wouldn't have to close.

Who else is dreading the traffic problems at the Knab/Twageos/Sletts area???

Looks like the majority of common sense has left the council planning dept. The planning police swat team needs mobilised.

Imagine telling your son/daughter, hang on in, the building work will be finished in 4 years. Are they going to sound proof the existing school as pupils try and study and shape their future with all the noise outside.

O silly old me (mere thick person who voted in a councillor) forgot the new building will be constructed using glues, rubber bands and paper clips. But no the planning board have said the residents need one day a week with no building disruption! What about the needs of the schools pupils? Shame on you!

Building on a Greenfield site that is central, next to a large sports complex (that loses money each year) must be a done deal. No let’s build more sports facilities at the new school and still bus them to the swimming pool. Are you mad??

A few weeks ago a change of use proposal from fish processing facility to meat processing facility got thrown out by this same bunch for no other reason than a petition raised by neighbours to the site.

Yet, here you have the Planning Vice Chairman walking out in protest as he's less than happy about how and when the application has come before the board, the council's own Roads folk voicing significant concerns about the roads in the area's ability to cope, a number of residents filing written objections, the Community Council doing likewise, a Councillor with a list of concerns/objections the length of a phone directory, and a petition by neighbours to the site, and the whole scheme is basically rubber stamped.

Umm....maybe I just have an inherently suspicious mind, but there's a definite aroma of Rat somewhere in this. Or is the power of the pen so much more superior when its weilded at Blydoit than at the Knab for some reason?!?

The AHS upgrade has been rumbling on for years, so I guess that the SIC has decided that enough is enough, lets get on with it before the present one falls down. Incidentally the original school from 1862 was built at the Knab as the powers that be at that time did not want it in the town of Lerwick.

^^ I would tend to see both decisions as bowing to the greatest/most vocal pressure. The Abbatoir failed due to the noise made by those who were going to be expected to be its neighbours, despite there being very little in planning law which could be used to justify such a decision. The school has gone ahead because its supporters have exerted more pressure than its opponents, despite their being a number of issues that in planning law really should have been addressed before a decision was taken.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying either decision is necessarily wrong, Blydoit was not the ideal location for an Abbatoir by a long shot, but it was an opportunity that would have been silly to ignore. At least the decision was relatively clean cut, and folk can quickly move of and consider other alternatives. A much improved/modernised/new AHS is needed, and while its good that some progress is finally being made, it does make you wonder if even after 5 years and no doubt well in excess of £50 Million is spent, if a great deal is really going to be all that much better, given the level of widespread criticism.

At the end of the day all both decisions do, is to place a large question mark over the competency and integrity of the Planning Board, as by all appearances when it come to contentious decisions they pay little heed to the planning law they are supposed to be guided by, and vote largely due to whoever appears to be twisting their arm most.

^ "school gets blown up " ?

It'll get blown away.

I wonder if any of our councillors have ever been at the Knab when a southerly gale is so strong it's liable to 'blaa you ower'?

Speaking as a (ex) Gressy Loan resident I've seen days when it's actually no safe to go oot. So how a great three storied monstrosity will survive is onybodys guess.

Think about it, why were all the old croft houses low single floor dwellings, usually in the lee of a hill?

Might it have been because of the strong wind?