Digital Radio

david

This is from the front page of SIBC's own website at www.sibc.co.uk :-

--------------------

Now no one believes that FM, at least for local radio stations, will be closed down for many years. There is certainly no current official plan for a switchover of local FM stations to digital.

Part of the problem is that no digital system has yet been approved which is suitable for local stations with single main transmitter sites and large and geographically challenging coverage areas, like Shetland. The best-bet system to date has been DRM+, which was being tested in February on the former Talk 107 Edinburgh frequency from Craigkelly in Fife. The outcome of that will determine whether or not DRM+ will be used in the UK, alongside DAB.

--------------------

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes this digital stuff is good ,"hundreds of channels" but pop along the wireless museum at Hoswick & listen to an old old valve wirless .You will then appreciate that this transistored equipment we listen to now adays is ma'be not all it is supposed to be.

I have an old valve radio that I inherited from my parents and digital radio, in my opinion, has a far better sound, is easier to tune in and turns on in an instant.

Nostalgia is great but, having embraced the new technology of DAB radio some years ago when I lived down south, I am very happy to do so again here.

As of about half an hour ago (maybe still the case), the FM reception for Radio 2 is lost and BBC Scotland is not too great either.

Roll on the introduction of DAB !

Radio Scotland won't be on DAB in Shetland. Radio Scotland is only available on DAB in those parts of Scotland where the BBC can justify the expense of renting space on the local commercial multiplex, and there is no prospect of a local commercial multiplex in Shetland, or in most of the rest of the highlands and islands. So we'll only have the national bundle in Shetland. There will be fewer (far fewer) stations on DAB than are already available by satellite or online.

Graeme Storey is dead right. DAB is not a sensible technology for radio in even moderately hilly terrain, and certainly not a cheap one. It behaves much like a UHF television signal, as the need for a repeater in Scalloway confirms. People with DAB in cars in Shetland are in for a particularly frustrating time. I can testify that receiving a satisfactory signal even in allegedly well-served areas like central Scotland can be hit and miss. And a poor DAB signal - all bubbling noises and dropouts - is even more irritating than a weak FM signal.

The other problem is the sound. Most DAB stations are compressed in order to fit them within the bandwidth available on the multiplex, the exception being Radio 3 (which, again, gives the game away). The claims made for sound quality on DAB have become more and more muted as the years have passed (they don't mention 'CD quality' much these days). To my ears, at least, it's noticeably poorer than FM, with a loss of presence, clarity and definition, even when there are no bubbles.

DAB was the wrong choice. DRM+, which offers a digital signal on the FM band, is a far better option, and not just in Shetland, though implementing it given the paucity of DRM+ receivers on the market (not to mention the politics of the radio industry) will be a bit of a challenge. It's such a shame that DAB has been pushed so hard and that there is so much hype around it. My experience of it, at least, is underwhelming.

• 1 month later...

The problem with DAB is its too hard to set up a pirate station. Although not impossible with a USRP the stuff isn't available

Commercial radio stations just aren't much good, due to their commercial nature they need to play ads. BBC is alright but a lot of ould wigwams on that too

• 2 months later...

took me a while to remember how to tune the DAB portable, but yay we have 12 stations (3 of them being R5), no sign of R7/R4e, signal is dreadful but then I am over near Waas. Now to find the instructions for the iBlik anyone know if it's DAB+? or just the basic DAB? I've missed it sooo much.