Michael Ross Orkney Murderer

I followed this recent case with interest and my opinion was that there was not sufficient evidence to prove beyond doubt that Michael Ross had committed a racially aggravated murder in Orkney 15 years ago.

I was shocked when the jury found him guilty - I expected a "not proven" decision -

I was amazed when he attempted to flee the court James Bond style.

I am now dumfounded that he has been charged with stashing guns/grenades etc in a car park not far from the courthouse, apparently in readiness for his escape attempt.

Just shows how difficult it is to be a jury member - this particular jury seem to have got it right big style.

Roll on the film.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very interesting, and reminds me of something i read a long time ago regarding the way high rewards were sometimes placed by mafia/mob groups after one of their kind was locked up, with the sole intention of attracting groups of people prepared to provide "alibi's for cash".

I'm pretty sure it led to the outlawing of the offering of post-sentence rewards in some states of the USA, but I'm sure someone will know more detail.

Disclaimer - I'm not saying thats the case here, but the scenario is very viable. 5 people all testifying they were with him would be a pretty persuasive testimony, and £20,000 can be quite an incentive...

Looks like this story is far from finished yet.

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/

Seems a bit odd this has only come out now. Michael Ross has been suspected of this long before the charges were finally brought, and it takes 14 years for an alibi to appear!

On TV today, the witness said that prior to the trial, she had tried and failed to get Ross's defence team to take her proposed evidence seriously

6 November 2008

A reward of £100,000 for information

20 November 2008

An Orkney woman’s claims that she can provide an alibi

What is the legal term for Bengal Lancer?

http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/confused/confused0077.gif

I heard her interviewed on the radio, she claims she has no intention of claiming the reward and has been trying for months to make herself heard. She sounded very credible to be honest so it'll be intersting to see what happens next.

I don't believe a word she says to be honest! Why would the defence "not get back to her" after she "came forward during the trial"? Supposing she actually did come forward before the trial, why did she not come forward before that? And why has she now decided she should go public? No incentive whatsoever is there? :roll:

I don't believe a word she says to be honest! Why would the defence "not get back to her" after she "came forward during the trial"? Supposing she actually did come forward before the trial, why did she not come forward before that? And why has she now decided she should go public? No incentive whatsoever is there? :roll:

At the trial, the defence stated that Ross's long held alibi was that he was cycling just outside Kirkwall at the time when the murder was committed. So, this woman coming forward at a late stage with a different story/alibi was probably seen as being of no help to the defence.

^ Well then someone is lying.

Amelia Swanney's claim is apparently that her and a group of friends were with Ross. If she's lying then its a pretty poor lie as you would expect the police to want to know who the others were. Would've made more sense to say she was with him alone.