Brae Hotel

oldscalloway

Could we all not get together and send money to the man at the Brae Hotel for a tin of paint. Having just spent a great holiday in Shetland and showing people round, it was embarrasing to come through Brae and see again the Hotel with the paint peeling. A real eyesore for visitors and it must give a bad impression of the area. So come on girls and boys, dig deep for the Brae Hotel Restoration Project!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest posiedon

It surprises me that the council don't make the owners tidy it up, surely there must be a bit of legislation somewhere requiring property owners to carry out basic maintenance?

^ a fanciful but absurd notion, unless in a particular zone. Only if the public or tennants were at risk of harm would anyone be required to intervene i think. It's the interior in particular that would have to reach certain standards for paid accomodation. It may not get a 4-star rating from Visit Scotland, but i don't think they are after that market. I could be wrong.

Though i agree that the building could do with a paint up the matter is down to the owners discretion and not the opinion of passers-by.

It surprises me that the council don't make the owners tidy it up, surely there must be a bit of legislation somewhere requiring property owners to carry out basic maintenance?

There is, and if the owners don't do what's asked then the council can do it and send them the bill. But... There's all the legal fees, proving it needs to be done, and that the amount billed is the correct and going rate etc, it takes years, people don't pay up, it's hassle.

There are Hotels for housing homeless people in that are in better condition than the Brae Hotel...

I would be appaled If I Ihad come to Shetland and found that this was where I was to stay.....Surely the Council realise that the outward appearance of this building lowers the tone of the whole place....

If it is so. that it is used mainly by the oil workers then it would follow that they are getting a good steady income from it and therefore there is no excuse not to renew the exterior paintwork.....

Would running a story in the Shetland Times do anything to embarras the council into doing something?....The appearance of this hotel would certainly give tourists returning home from this beautiful Island something to talk about .....It just looks to me like a " Doss House "

Maybe it'll *become* a tourist attraction - for the worlds fugliest hotel. Folk will be come from all over the world to have their pictures taken standing outside it. The real hardcore hotel spotters will pay small fortunes just for the privilege of staying there so they can pinch a towel for their collection. I would add a wink smilie to this but I'm actually deadly serious! :wink:

having worked north of shetland on many occasions with the woodgroup and amec personel that are the ones put up in the brae hotel IMHO that hostelry is far to good for many of them, quite a few pish the bed after a couple of beers spew everywhere are are generaly pond life of the lowest form. I for one would bung them in a byre with a trough to feed from.