Shetland Football 2009??

penfold

***Mod Edit posts moved from results thread***

ISOT... how can you say that shetlands display on saturday was a decent performance? fair enough we deserved to win, but thats not because of how shetland played, thats how poor orkney played. you obviously werent watching the same game as me?

if it wasnt for james johnston wakening up in the second half and young unst man erik thompson upfront it was one of the most boring and slow tempoed games i've seen in years. to see the game go to extra time and not see substitutions (craig gerty, josie kay) introduced is a crime. the game was dull and one routed. i say that meaning that shetland didnt look as they had a back up plan atall. it was just a "get the ball punted up to ross macdougall to chase onto" kinda game. the game needed fresh legs, someone to work the channels and get james into more free'er positions up the park, craig gerty woulda been an idle substitute. for some reason john dosent seem to have faith in little gerty, his record this season speaks for itself, ran whalsay and spurs ragged in the two games i've seen this season, and joint 2nd top scorer in shetland. what more do u want? fraser hall? ...dont get me started on him!

i dont know, im not trying to be negative but i just think the standard of footballers in shetland is better than the squad johns selecting.

i've had a pop at peter peterson before and i really dont want to again, but what on earth was he starting for on saturday? i mean come on. he hardly offers alot of pace down the wing does he? fair enough hes an experienced member of the team, but he is so past it. he never really got into the game atall, blessin in disguise he got injured i think. nah, i've maybe been abit harsh on old papa pete on this forum, hes been a good servent to the shetland set up over the years, but surely now he'll stick to his word and hang up his boots once and for all.

i hope to see in johns next training selection pool, some of the younger footballers coming through. james aitken, david thompson, shane jamieson, stuart goodlad? all offer somthing different allover the park, hopefully these players would freshen things up abit in the shetland ranks.

going back to the main point of this post. i personally feel, the game on saturday needed abit of fresher legs, abit of pace introduced maybe?! i think the game lacked players like paul molloy, scott morrison, duncan bray, jamie wilson? players who can change a game instantly with the speed they've got, but then again im not the manager am i?...

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ISOT... how can you say that shetlands display on saturday was a decent performance? fair enough we deserved to win, but thats not because of how shetland played, thats how poor orkney played. you obviously werent watching the same game as me?

going back to the main point of this post. i personally feel, the game on saturday needed abit of fresher legs, abit of pace introduced maybe?! i think the game lacked players like paul molloy, scott morrison, duncan bray, jamie wilson? players who can change a game instantly with the speed they've got, but then again im not the manager am i?...

Thinking of applying for the post when it comes up for election in 2011 megador? If I'm still involved at association level then I'll look forward to your application. Need to make your mind up on your assesment of the players at your disposal before then as you seem to flit from one extreme to the other when weighing up what they bring to the squad. Hardly the attributes I'd be recommending when considering the matter of Select manager.

duncan bray joke,has beens.

yes penfold, i seem to have crossed my own paths on the duncan bray matter. before the games i didnt think he'd offer the kinda stuff he offered at the shetland games 2005, but hearing word of mouth, he was one of the better players in aaland. regardless, i still do not believe he had the right to go to aaland. nothing against the man himself, just poor and an unfair selection system.

ISOT... no obviously craig gerty didnt score, as yell could not field a team!!

Duncan Bray is a good player and is eligable under the IGA rules to play for Shetland so how is the selection system unfair? Or do you mean that its unfair because certain players were not selected?

On the players you were quoting should have been in before others, I have watched Scott Morrison and Craig Gerty for example and your right they are decent players in the game we played Thistle at the start of the season I would have said that Morrison dropped out of the game as Ness went further ahead and his attitude and effort wained, as a result that affected the Thistle performance, yes other players in the Thistle team can look at themselves to but when one of your main attacking outlets drops out of the game it hinders your ability to get-back in the game. Maybe he should look to the attitude of his fellow team mates like Stuart Smith who kept pushing to the final whistle or Craig Gerty as you mentioned who also kept working to try and get Thistle back in the game?

Jump to the game when Thistle played us at Boddam and you saw a different player and it told in the result, maybe attitude and workrate when the chips are down are also attributes that a manager at County Select also looks for? Thats possibly why Gerty made it and Morrison didn't? I know they play different postitions but you can see in games who's has the better attitude and workrate whens it not going Thistle's way. Admittedly this is only at club level but I would want a team of talented players with a battling spirit at Select level than a talented player who retreats into to themselves when it isn't going there way. That may have had a bearing on the selection of players in certain positions, thats just my personal opinion though based on the games I've seen the players you stated should have been included in the squad playing in this season.

ISOT... no obviously craig gerty didnt score, as yell could not field a team!!

Megador - Ecxuse my ignorance there I must have been distracted I was looking at the Spurs v Ness scoreline at the top of the page! I also noticed Spurs didn't score that night so obviously young Gerty didn't find the net!!

I also believe and remember this is my opinion that although Gerty may be a decent footballer in the local league I don't think he has that bit of magic that he would have needed to score at the Island games. I just don't think he's good enough!! Yes he can run all day and be a general pain in the ass for most defenders but at a higher level I think he would struggle!

In my opinion MacDougal and Erik Thomson are a better quality player than Gerty.

Cheers

i think the game lacked players like paul molloy, scott morrison, duncan bray, jamie wilson? but then again im not the manager am i?...

Megador, you keep harping on about Peter Peterson(which i fully agree with) to hang up his boots, at least come up with a decent replacement, Scott Morrison!!!! He's nearly as fast as the sun on the wall and would pose no threat to Orkney never mind the quality in Aaland.

piddly... what are you on about?! penfold... i agree fully on you're judgement of scott morrison and craig gerty. i've seen morrison play a few times and his head does indeed go down when things arent going his way. something he'll have to maybe work on if he wants to fight his way back into the shetland set up. but PIDDLY??!! ur chat stinks!! scott morrison is one of the fastest players in shetland, you obviously dont watch must football do you PIDDLY?? just stick to what you know best... speaking rubbish!!

watched about 20 minutes of the thistle-delting match tonight. ross macdougall proved why he is shetlands top striker, best i think i've seen him play. thistle will feel disappointed in themselves as it was a good chance to get to a final, bruce bennet the stand out for delting in what wasnt there strongest line up.

should be a good final. hope the young celtic boys can win some silverware. certainly deserve some this season after showing some good form of late.

Can we please keep this on topic. I am sure I am not the only one who would appreciate it if criticism of individuals is avoided in these discussions. I certainly would not appreciate being criticised for my involvement in amateur sport.

Hear hear.

The normal T&Cs apply to this thread, just the same as any other and anonymously criticising the performance of amateur players is a bit low.

Also, personal attacks against other Shetlink users is frowned upon too. Megador, check your PMs.

Megador, you keep harping on about Peter Peterson(which i fully agree with) to hang up his boots, at least come up with a decent replacement, Scott Morrison!!!! He's nearly as fast as the sun on the wall and would pose no threat to Orkney never mind the quality in Aaland.

:shock:

Scott Morrison is certainly fast, trust me! You've obviously never had to chase after him Piddly!

Megador, what I was trying to do when giving my assesment of the players you keep bringing up is how to show you and others how to give an analyisis on them with-out resorting to calling them jokes or has-beens or the miriad of other insults and derogatory remarks that have been bandied about. Folk are entitled to their opinion and its good to get constructive criticism and others views on either how a team plays or how things are run at association or club level.

The anonymous element of the forum has its benefits it allows the exchange of opinions and ideas on all matters football sometimes folk use the response here as a sounding board for ideas, but some people who have registered recently have abused the anonymity and have indulged in personal attacks on players and others including to chose to disclose the identity of users on the forum. Many of the attacks and posts slating individuals on here would certainly never be said to their face or in a public setting where they would be taken directly to task over their comments. folk need to take a step back and look at what they have written and how they would like it if it was them who were on the receiving end of it, and should put a bit more thought and tact into their posts.