The Bressay Bridge

admin

Do you think we should build a bridge to Bressay?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should build a bridge to Bressay?

• Yes
    • No
    • We need more information
    • Don't know/don't care

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think whit wae da chronic hoosing shortage in shetland ee noo we definetly need a better connection to bressay. 600 folk waitin fir a hoose in lerook is just crazy, is it any winder so mony folk are moving sooth.

This is more than just a fixed link its a chance o a few hunner new hooses and all da benefits that go wi dem.

As for whit type o link, Im wi da harbour on dis wan. Da Norskis are gettin pretty good at dis tunnelin lark, I'm sure dey wid be able to help wis oot, its no dat far tae go.

woooo - first post

I belive they bought ness of sound.. but planning has refused any planning permission to build there.. :shrug:

I hate to question you, but i've never been aware of an application. Hjaltland were refused permission at Nederdale, but i've yet to see any plans to build on the Ness of Sound. They just seemed to buy it then lease it back to the guy they bought it off to carry on farming.

A fixed link to solve the so called housing crisis?.......might be interesting to know who stands to gain if land on Bressay gets zoned for housing. Ness of Sound?......I seem to remember it was bought for housing unless it was bought to keep it free of housing.

I wonder what the breakdown of the 600 on the waiting list would show?. Is this 600 homes needed or does the 600 include partners and bairns. And where are they living now?. Thank goodness we dont have people in cardboard boxes on the streets of Lerwick but is the 600 including people with a good home who just want to be nearer the town.

And are we so short of space to build in the town?. Space both sides of Ladies drive and in upper Sound.

Bridge?, Tunnel?, Keep Bressay special and keep the ferry?. I am rapidly getting converted towards keeping the ferry.

And has option four ever been discussed?.......the big Axe. No fixed link, no ferry, no Bressay.

I belive they bought ness of sound.. but planning has refused any planning permission to build there.. :shrug:

I hate to question you, but i've never been aware of an application. Hjaltland were refused permission at Nederdale, but i've yet to see any plans to build on the Ness of Sound. They just seemed to buy it then lease it back to the guy they bought it off to carry on farming.

I could be confusing things.. as it was some time ago I heard this.. but I seem to remember thinking how ironic it was, that the council was foiled by the council..

Am no a crofter or anything like dat but da Ness o sound looks bony and green, and even if its no used as such, good green land is a precious thing in Shetland. Any whar else aboot da toon is, as his been previously stated, is gettin a bit steep (and expensive) to build on.

I ken dat der is plenty o less fertile land in bressay dat wid be ideally suited to building on.

But do his a point, do we realy want to give da bressay folk unlimited access to da rest o da isles. Dey ir a bit... welll.. do kens :?

Joost jestin bressay folk, Whit wans I ken o you are fine enough.

Bridge?, Tunnel?, Keep Bressay special and keep the ferry?. I am rapidly getting converted towards keeping the ferry.

And has option four ever been discussed?.......the big Axe. No fixed link, no ferry, no Bressay.

Ideally the ferry would be ideal as it keeps jobs.. but ( if you belive the figures ) it seems that a bridge ( fixed link ) would pay for itself in 10 - 15 years of not paying for ferries, I personally find it hard to justify keeping the ferries.

we could just buy every resident a little rowing boat each. then we might see shetland winning some gold medals at the next olympics ;)

Everything will just centre on Lerwick even more to the detriment of the rest of Shetland.

The SIC wont put me in a house with more than one bedroom. I understand why but its a pain in the neck when my son comes up here. I would be happy to move out to the country, but I still wont get a bigger place, so I might as well stay in Lerwick.

• 3 months later...

The LPA has millions of pounds of decommisioning work coming shortly, and a lot of it is depending on the North harbour being dredged, now the council have stopped them, with an interdict. So millions of pounds could be lost to Shetland, because of the cooncils pigheadedness. :twisted:

Ideally the ferry would be ideal as it keeps jobs.. but ( if you belive the figures ) it seems that a bridge ( fixed link ) would pay for itself in 10 - 15 years of not paying for ferries, I personally find it hard to justify keeping the ferries.

we could just buy every resident a little rowing boat each. then we might see shetland winning some gold medals at the next olympics ;)

Perhaps it might be good to look at those figures a bit more carefully. Bridge maintenance on such an exposed location could be high and the creation of connecting roads and their ongoing maintenance needs to be factored into the equation.

Surely anything that risks the future of Lerwick as a port is not a good idea and if the port authority say that the current bridge plans may pose a risk to that future then we have to regard that as a serious objection. What about a submarine service?.