Spelling & Grammar

dtothet

Hi, my typing and grammar on the computer is not very good especially one handed feeding a little baby and a little tired apologies.

Don't apologise, as long as it's understandable that's all that matters.

As lamentable as the decline in English standards are, this is a community forum not a university dissertation, and I don't think anyone should be hauled in by the grammar police (no offence poseidon ;)).

Just my humble opinion. :)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic (again) But I must say the level of grammar, punctuation, and spelling on this forum is telling.

When I was at school we were taught never to start a sentence with a conjunction. But I do it all the time. And, you have missed out the full stop after (again) Or do you not need one if brackets are used?

• 1 year later...

Taken from the Windfarm thread:

shetlandpeat

If your gonna speak Klingon,[/b]

Do you really not know the English language? Or more likely as has been suggested on another thread, are you just a troll/wind up merchant?

Gonna is fine as it is defined as slang but........

Your and you're have different meanings, learn them!

There, their and they're also have different meanings, you might like to look into those as well.

If you continue to make basic grammatical errors, then I'll flag you as a troll and ignore you.

Just to preempt you, No big deal. :roll:

As ever, yes, I speak the English Language every day, as do Americans, South Africans, Indians and the French. As I have said in the past, you are a bully when it comes to this, publicly humiliating folk, with some fetish you have with that is quite obtuse. It does however have two results, well three really, it can encourage folk who have a lower confidence level to use a browser based dictionary and spend their time correcting every mistake and not understanding why (apart from not wanting to be picked on by yourself). It can discourage those with less confidence to post, this is where we all miss out as they may have something valuable to add, but for fear of the public humiliation will not post and do not take part. The result a bully may want, perhaps? Thirdly, we could ignore you, without peril. On a forum, for all levels seems a bit OTT, well no, you are quite wrong. I would understand if you were to start an English Writing thread, I am sure the posts would keep you in hand for a while.

Yet when you say the words, regardless of how they are arranged on paper or as text, they mean exactly what I said, without the complications of grammar, especially as they may not be in view for long.

The human brain is quite clever, it can adapt very quickly, I bet many can read the next bold face text I will install upon their retinas, some may refuse to because it is not right (or write :wink: )

7H15 M3554G3 53RV35 7O PR0V3 H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5! 1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5! 1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG 17 WA5 H4RD BU7 N0W, 0N 7H15 LIN3 Y0UR M1ND 1S R34D1NG 17 4U70M471C4LLY W17H0U7 3V3N 7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17, B3 PROUD! 0NLY C3R741N P30PL3 C4N R3AD 7H15.

If it is no big deal, why write?

Although I understood the emboldened part of your post, it took longer to decipher and read.

(and it belongs here)

Perhaps an apology, but the response I gave was in keeping with what was the post preceding it. This could indicate that the non teaching employee could bring his retorts here and not in the original thread, unless it is pertinent to the OP.

Perhaps, as this seems to be an obsession with folk, they could also stick to the rules on engagement on this. Otherwise the dialogue will be come split over two threads with the complainer appearing to get her way.

Off topic (again) But I must say the level of grammar, punctuation, and spelling on this forum is telling.

From my experience of 11 years here (8 years working in a non teaching capacity in a school)

I think Shetland has the best education system in the UK, so how is it that some folk on this forum can't even construct a coherent sentence?

As with this post, already asked about, but ignored.

Where are the full stops after the closed bracket and why a comma after and? As you are listing stuff and and is not part of that list. If it is then there is an and missing. Should there not be full stops with the abbreviations as well?

It is all very difficult for folk to take the corrections seriously if the correction facility is corrupt.

Any how, wasted enough of my time on this.

As I'm not all that great on spelling and grammer, which some folk seem to get grest joy of pointing out, I feel they are a time and a place where it matters and where it does not. for example signs and notices - this i think its very importaint that the correct puntuation and spelling is correct, like Jim's Garage, toys R us with the R the wrong way round.

I dont like the use of a z instead of an s - especialy when folk think they are being trendy and down with the kidz! All it teached them/us is to spell wrong! Like me we need all the help we can get!!

It drives me wild when (and sometimes they think its arty) when everything is in lower case letters. Like blue peter (on the TV) I also see it in lots of local events posters. sometimes with no paragraphs or uppercase letters.

I just dump them in the bin.

Then there is places like shetlink, facebook and in texts where who cares? The main point is to get the basic message across, and it shoudn't matter