Amazon.uk Buying Woes

BigMouth

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Don't know about a ban, but the biggest disincentive to taking computer etc items across is the import tax in to this country. I think a few US ebay sellers have gotten stung with folks over here buying a computer or such, not realising they'd have to pay import duty this side, and refusing it. Then the seller was being left out of pocket for the, sometimes not inconsiderable, shipping cost, as even though they got the item back, if the buyer filed a PayPal non-delivery claim, PayPal refunded the entire amount of the transaction, not just the buying price. Its made some seller very leery of shipping internationally.

Its very tempting to try to take one across, selling prices, if you dig around are in the region of 50% of what they are here, but when you add shipping cost, plus import tax, plus the risk of it turing in to a problem transaction, it ends up not looking so attractive.

The item ordered from an Amazon Marketplace seller with no feedback arrived today and is just what I wanted and expected.......sellers feedback now 1.

Have bought several DVDs from Marketplace sellers in the US and Canada but only from those that have chosen to advertise their wares on Amazon UK meaning I only pay £1.24 shipping. Ordering from the US or Canada sites means a higher shipping charge.

Latest from Amazon is that they have reduced their free shipping minimum order to just £5. Wonder if they will stick with that for long as it seems to me that a lot of sales would lose them money considering the cost of packing and shipping.

There is a website somewhere that can round up your purchase to £15 by adding something cheap and useless, religious texts seem to come up quite often. I assume that they will reconfigure the site for the £5 limit.

The only problem is that I can't remember the address of the site.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say i am very impressed with Amazon and my latest purchase.

Ordered a new TV through then ( and it was Amazon not an external seller )

all though i am laughing to myself slightly.

I ordered a HDMI cable at the same time as the TV ( both from amazon )

TV sent with Currier dispatched last Friday arrived today ( Monday )

HDMI cable sent with Royal Mail Dispatched Friday still hasn't arrived.

Oops, Forgot to tell you fine folk, I got my parcel in two parts

one book came separately at no extra charge (I asked for them all to be shipped together to save on shipping)

followed closely (nxt post) by the other two.....

All from Amazon directly(no marketplace sellers) and shipped with royal mail. Order was completed in exactly a week from clicking!

really it shouldn't take more than a week to get here from anywhere in the uk, so I don't tend to go looking untill at least a week has passed.

I have to say i am very impressed with Amazon and my latest purchase.

Ordered a new TV through then ( and it was Amazon not an external seller )

all though i am laughing to myself slightly.

I ordered a HDMI cable at the same time as the TV ( both from amazon )

TV sent with Currier dispatched last Friday arrived today ( Monday )

HDMI cable sent with Royal Mail Dispatched Friday still hasn't arrived.

2 days delay due to bad weather.

the wife was waiting for a parcel from the open uni it was sent on the 20 of september via dhl it got to glasgow in a day and then took 4 weeks to get here. we thought it was lost so they sent it out by royal mail arrived the next day. the dhl arrived on the 20th of october.

^^ I have the same problem waiting for orders arriving via DHL. It's because they come with Northwards who sit on it for as long as they want until they feel like visiting the west-side. I'm waiting for a parcel that was shipped two weeks ago from them (3-5 days delivery it said). I feel really bad because the site I ordered from just won an award for internet sales excellence or whatever, and the issuing award company is keeping check on customer satisfaction through after-sales questionaires... it's not the internet company's fault that thte parcel is sitting in the warehouse in Shetland, so I don't know what to do.

The delivery man usually comes on a Tuesday when he does come - so your wife might get her parcel tomorrow.