Seal Slaughter

nederlander

agreed gorgo dir is mony a damn fool been bred here, but a dis carry on ower a few selkies comes from a mind set not indigenous to Shetland.

they come ashore to pup at this time of year and this is when they do the most damage to inshore fish stocks. when do you suggest they should be culled? After the pups are born they are dependent on their mothers for a long time so shooting them any time over the summer/autumn would condemn the pups to a slow death through starvation. Any later in the year and there is no enough o them around to make a cull feasible.

Like you I think leaving the crangs to rot is a hellish waste.

the simplest most humane option would be to follow the Canadian example and club the pups shortly after birth, then sale of skins would cover the cost.

But then there is no hope of a sensible solution as long as soothmoothers with no clue about Shetlands environment make decisions on how to manage it.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

groilick according to the dna folks that were up here recently my family wis here lang afore da vikings.

the closest I've got to viking dna comes fae me mam, and sho came fae edinburgh.

So I'm no anti soothmoother joost the soothmoothers dat come here an tell wis dats been here for a peerie while how much money we hae ta gee dem ta mak things right.

....there is documented evidence, referenced on this thread, that bonxies as little as just over two centuries ago were exclusively fish eating.

Wait a minute, I've got it!!!

The bonxies used to eat fish, but started going hungry because the seals were eating all the fish and so they started eating the sheep...........so all we need to do is kill the seals and get the bonxies back on to the fish diet then everyones happy........No?

Guest Anonymous

If and when he's caught (I'm betting it will be a man) I hope he's given the maximum sentence allowed under the law.

I agree completely. When caught he/she should be given the recognition deserved.

An OBE.

Sandy got one for doing a damned sight less for Shetland.

Sorry if my statement offends, but I remain, as always, the founder member of the "Save The Sillocks Campaign". (Soon to be renamed as the "Sod Da Selkies, and Save The Sillocks Trust"). This renaming will bring the campaign into line with EU conditions for screwing money out of the SIC.

:wink:

words of tongue in cheek wisdom here, UK/EU is all very well if you believe in them , but maybe a braa lok of ordinary Shetlander bodies really n wholeheartedly dunna. If there was vast profits in it for the "mainland" and fig all for us then i'm amply sure the legislation n public perception would soon be reversed

It would be interesting to see what all the folk returning to shetland for the Haemfarin have been up to since they left, Im assuming none of them have contributed to any decision making in the places they now live and have rightly left it up to the longest living local to get on with everything.

....there is documented evidence, referenced on this thread, that bonxies as little as just over two centuries ago were exclusively fish eating.

Wait a minute, I've got it!!!

The bonxies used to eat fish, but started going hungry because the seals were eating all the fish and so they started eating the sheep...........so all we need to do is kill the seals and get the bonxies back on to the fish diet then everyones happy........No?

Perhaps we could start stocking the voes with great white shark?? :idea:

But then there is no hope of a sensible solution as long as soothmoothers with no clue about Shetlands environment make decisions on how to manage it.

There is also no hope of a sensible solution from anyone so factually wrong about the separate habits of our two distinct native seal species.

You'd think someone with 1000 years of Shetland knowledge would ken what seals got up tae. Maybe that knowledge has been corrupted in some way, by outside influences. I don't know.

Anyway, there's no chance of clubbing a young common seal, for the record. They can swim from birth and are immediately taught to flee from humans. I could say more , but I'd be wasting my time wouldn't I?

People have been coming and going from the shetlands. Oh dear o dear , nothin waar dan seein "shetlands " bein used ony way in ony shape or form .......................inexcuseable ! ! ! Shetland , Shetland Isles or Shetland Islands or just dunna budder ! ! ! :(

Precisely - I wonder how the Englands team will get on tonight

Da shetlands...... dair du goes, du pedantic er5e !!

:roll:

You make a mistake. Someone makes the effort to correct you. What is your reaction? You insult them. Pretty pathetic behaviour.

I thought G B-c was being frivolous, hence "Da shetlands", and double exclamation marks

However

... Pretty pathetic behaviour.
is insulting.